Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elektron Octatrack MKII

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#26 auxien

auxien

just one thing i wanna know

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,724 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:41 AM

cmooon monomachine mk3

this pls i've never owned a mm because i've been hoping they'd do a new mm/md style machine that i could dig in on.

Not personally too keen on the new look. It's nice, nothing wrong at all, but I really prefer the black metal look. Would love the new Rytm for the new knobs and possibly screen (if they're updating the software to make use of it) but certainly not worth upgrading just for that.

Plus they're charging for OB on these so fuck that noise

#27 sheathe

sheathe

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

imo OB is just more elektron convolution that i don't really want. ob makes sense for the HEAT but thats about it.

#28 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/ffours

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

both of these look fugly as fuck. What's with that horrible mat grey colour?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

#29 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

imo OB is just more elektron convolution that i don't really want. ob makes sense for the HEAT but thats about it.

I think it makes sense for as a replacement for a multi-track USB interface, so each track can stream digitally into its own track in the DAW. For something like the A4 it's probably not as useful, since it seems like more of an all-in-one box, and that the effects are sends rather than applied to each track.. Something like the Monomachine having OB support would be fkn mental—being able to keep the entire signal path digital would allow for some really high quality compositions.

Having said all of that though, I've recently been embracing the fact that I can only really record a stereo mix from my machines, it really forces me to think more quickly about mixing and sound design, in turn allowing me to spend less time obsessing over mixes, and instead just keep coming up with new music.

Edited by modey, 06 July 2017 - 09:29 PM.

#30 digit

digit

Ø1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 25-January 09

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:28 PM

Having said all of that though, I've recently been embracing the fact that I can only really record a stereo mix from my machines, it really forces me to think more quickly about mixing and sound design, in turn allowing me to spend less time obsessing over mixes, and instead just keep coming up with new music.

exactly this. all these people clamoring for streaming each track out of their elektrons into separate tracks in a DAW so they can work on them further... they're just postponing decision making. fear of commitment.

get it right in the machine. balance, eq, all of it. you have so much control over the params in elektron kit. there's no excuses. get it right & then just record it. stereo mix. done.

of course you could fiddle with each track and each sound until the end of time if you wanted to. and then nothing would ever get finished.

overbridge sucks. totally at odds with the whole original philosophy of that company & their hardware.

#31 digit

digit

Ø1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 25-January 09

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

re: the new mk2s. i'm all about stark minimal interfaces but this new look is terrible. just really uninspiring. a boring and soul killing corporate look. like sitting in a cubicle and staring at a spreadsheet app for 8 hours.

+ these new ones are HUGE :

4ce8efb550fa70344704caf898de9aea5728c2e5

0c41bd53e1cf2b6f9947a2faaf165694c9850c89

on the upside, this is a great time to pick up the black mk1s used. prices are about to drop like a rock!

#32 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:44 PM

Completely agree with the last 3 posts.

I still have lust for A4, Heat, and Digitakt but the more I see these mk2s...

Spoiler

#33 b born droid

b born droid

the swan and paedo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • SoundCloud URL:http://www.soundcloud.com/ffours

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:49 AM

Holy fuck that is massive. I'm more annoyed I bought my A4 just before this price drop rather than the actual new version. Maybe it sounds better I dunno, but it's not exactly drawing me in.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

#34 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts
  • 255 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

yikes, I didn't realise they were that much bigger.. that's kinda put me off them now. I guess this is partly in response to sausage-fingered people complaining about not enough space between encoders? Plus there doesn't appear to be any way to rack/stand-mount them, and now there will be yet another plastic cover just for these two, lol.

I don't mind the lighter grey compared to the OT mk2 actually. At this rate, if there is a monomachine mk3 coming, it'll be white.. which, tbh would look pretty fkn amazing.

I will most likely bite the bullet and get either a secondhand or discounted A4 mk1 at some point soon, unless they announce a new monomachine or similar digital synth in the next week or two :P

Edited by modey, 07 July 2017 - 01:11 AM.

#35 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,518 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:35 AM

Funny thing is that md and mnm will be more expensive than the mk1 analog machines

#36 Guest_Chesney_*

Guest_Chesney_*
  • Guests
  • 255 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:07 AM

I prefer to record stereo outs too, just jam for longer if you want more options in the box. I have tried recording all seperate but ends up just really boring and samey because it's so much harder to make sense of it all once it's all in.

Commitment is the key yeah.

I Quite like the new form but maybe because I hated the black and red so much compared to the beautiful brushed Aluminium of the MD/MnM.

#37 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 08-June 04

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:10 AM

lol black and red (and grey!) were part of the 0F.digital aesthetic even before I got the octatrack. It's like it was meant to be :P

#38 auxien

auxien

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,724 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

Damn those are big in comparison. Seems an odd choice, maybe to make the machines seem more like centerpieces? Maybe the new button and knob proportions required some extra space? The more I look at the new ones the less I like them. No need of them for me though. Does make me worried about their future offerings.

#39 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts
  • 81 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

Has anyone actually complained about the OG boxes' surfaces being cramped? They feel perfect to me, but maybe that's because I have tiny Tr*mp-sized hands.

#40 auxien

auxien

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,724 posts
  • 37 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

With Elektron, everything has been complained about at some point by some whiny shit somewhere. Cramped knobs are not among common complaints I've ever seen, though.

#41 Valknut

Valknut

The Magic Autist

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • 101 topics
  • Joined 13-April 15

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Wake me up when they refresh the Monomachine

#42 Alan Ord

Alan Ord

1000 Club

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 28-July 14
  • Interests:CRYING IN YOUR FACE

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

New monomachine / machinedrum hybrid with some more in depth FM fuckery. 

Elektron pls...

#43 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

Fuck it, just a straight FM/PM machine. Let it use incoming audio as well as delay lines as modulators in the algorithms. Make it cute and tiny like the digitakt.

#44 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

Fuck it, just a straight FM/PM machine. Let it use incoming audio as well as delay lines as modulators in the algorithms. Make it cute and tiny like the digitakt.

Physical modelling in hardware really has been dead in the water for a long time, I would love to see something like this.  Just a single polyphonic part with some kind of modular (or at least semi-modular), with audio input as an operator (so that you could choose where to inject external audio in the algorithm you built, rather than being limited to a fixed point in it).  maybe a couple velocity sensitive pads on it or something.

Basically something that was to Tassman what the OT is to Live (i.e. not actually the same at all but similar enough to make superficial comparisons).

#45 sheathe

sheathe

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts
  • 221 topics
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'm worried about elektron

#46 messiaen

messiaen

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,297 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 26-April 06

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

the new rytm now apparently has CV control inputs, which has made me lust over an elektron for the first time since my hated machinedrum. 

#47 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

Physical modelling in hardware really has been dead in the water for a long time, I would love to see something like this.  Just a single polyphonic part with some kind of modular (or at least semi-modular), with audio input as an operator (so that you could choose where to inject external audio in the algorithm you built, rather than being limited to a fixed point in it).  maybe a couple velocity sensitive pads on it or something.

Basically something that was to Tassman what the OT is to Live (i.e. not actually the same at all but similar enough to make superficial comparisons).

Yeah this is a cool idea actually. I had an idea for a tracker that the Octatrack ended up being really similar to, minus a few things, one of which was this idea of being able to use arbitrary signals as modulators. Maybe I will revisit this. 

Me too :|

#48 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,518 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Me too :|

only a new digital machine, new (an integrated) machinedrum (and) or monomachine polymachine with the best sequencer ever, analog distortion and 150 digital effects could save them im my eyes  :cerious:

#49 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,518 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

now i'm imaginig a combination of integrated md/mnm with nord-modular-like sw ...tho not sure it'd be a good thing

#50 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

Probably not, unless you could parameter lock patch points. Actually this could be a great starting point for a CV-only Analog Four with like 16 ports of CV I/O.