Elektron Octatrack MKII

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been doing music pretty much exclusively with the octatrack as my central hub for the last few years. (Though admittedly I kind of don't have shit to show for it but I'm very slowly accumulating

I still think the complexity/difficulty of using the OT comes when you try to do too much at once.  If you take it slowly at first and just use it as a sample based drum machine before anything e

"we believe music has value" *mindblown* would be nice if he meant that artists are valuable, and not that his job is to figure out how to intercept and exploit every possible source of income a

Posted Images

Maybe they are going to launch a line of products pitched below the models series to compete with the korg monotron market 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, sheatheman said:

Apparently this is the new ceo. This is funny.

people talking about the business of music like this is so gross, just absolutely disgusting. couldn't get more than a few minutes into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't wait until Elektron moves towards a subscription service for their firmware so if you don't pay one month you can't use your equipment anymore. 

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

I can't wait until Elektron moves towards a subscription service for their firmware so if you don't pay one month you can't use your equipment anymore. 

or it auto fills your patterns w/samples of john candy speaking swedish

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stickfigger said:

They build a timebomb into the firmware that bricks your OT if you cancel your subscription.

New feature on all new boxes: direct to Spotify premium pattern export. No song mode though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Makes me feel like getting one more instrument from them and call it a day.

I own a Digitone. If you could pair that with only one other piece of Elektron gear, what would it be?

3 hours ago, Braintree said:

Makes me feel like getting one more instrument from them and call it a day.

I own a Digitone. If you could pair that with only one other piece of Elektron gear, what would it be?

For flexibility you'd need one of their drum boxes. I'd say the Rytm for analog sounds (does nice mono synth sounds too) or the Octatrack/Digitakt if you wanna sample.

Depends on what sort of tracks you're after really.

If you're looking for more beats the Rytm is a really interesting drum machine.

If you're keen on further synth explorations you could really start mangling your digitone with an octatrack (which can also handle sampled beats at the same time).

The Octatrack in particular though will give you a good month of head scratching before you start to get on with it.

Posted (edited)

I been hearing Elektron derailed for a while now, and I guess it shows in their somewhat erratic product development agenda. kinda feels like they struggle as a company, being one of the few out there who really try to innovate, imo

I got my gear jacked a couple years back and lost my octatrack, which is the brain of my live modular rig. long story short, after getting in touch with them through some friends they kindly offered me a new one, but the whole process was inconceivably chaotic, which I later found out it was because they were going through a significant internal reform of sorts, with lay offs and whatnot.

anyway, I've owned an OT for about 7 years, so I vouch for it, and it is an important tool for me. at this point I feel like the Rytm might be the most powerful of the lot, really want to get my hands on one, but at 10k in my currency that'll have to wait. it really depends on what you're looking for, but the OT probably takes a lot longer to get your head around, as it offers loads more possibilities

Edited by tbf

Looks like it's time to start getting a bunker mentaklity, assume Elektron will probably start dropping support for discontinued products after a few years stock up on MKI spare parts from tech support for future repairs.  Apparently you can buy an entire new MKI control board from them for something like $240 right now, which might be a good investment if you're someone who plans to use the thing for another decade or more. That, a few individual switches and a fader would be a whole lot of insurance.

re: Braintree.... Rytm is the best drum machine of this generation, full stop. people will still be playing them in 50 years, no exaggeration. probably well beyond that. it ain't perfect at all but it's great at doing what it does (tho this obv doesn't suit everyone's wants/needs).

a lot of people also swear by the OT (as tbf points out^ and surely plenty of others ITT) and i'm sure it'd be a really interesting pairing with the Digitone. the OT can do so very much that few other pieces of kit can replicate even partly, certainly nothing really in the same class as it at all. 

if you're wanting a cute pairing with the Digitone the Digitakt is an obvious choice. not as 'next level' as the OT but still plenty of depth to it if you're into some interesting sample manipulation. (should point out of these i've only owned the Rytm, so basing all my rambling on hours of research...YT videos and forum chat :cat: so feel free to ignore me lol ...also got an A4 and it's plenty good but i'm not its biggest fan either)

34 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Looks like it's time to start getting a bunker mentaklity, assume Elektron will probably start dropping support for discontinued products after a few years stock up on MKI spare parts from tech support for future repairs.

i'd love to say no way that'll happen but yeah, the way things are looking it wouldn't surprise me at all if this came to be over the next 5-10 years. good news is that most of these machines are pretty ubiquitous so there should be plenty of a second hand market for not only replacements but repair bits and maybe even people specializing in doing repairs on Elektron kit.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:44 PM, sheatheman said:

Apparently this is the new ceo. This is funny.

Explains why cenk is ditching

It's crazy that elektron has a CEO that views the users of their products as labourers and not artists 

"we believe music has value"

*mindblown*

would be nice if he meant that artists are valuable, and not that his job is to figure out how to intercept and exploit every possible source of income an artist might present him while sharing nothing but crumbles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

It's crazy that elektron has a CEO that views the users of their products as labourers and not commodities

FTFY

CEOs are CEOs

Anyway, based on what usually hapens when a holding company takes over, I give it 3-5 years before we see the Elektron OctaWolf.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Hallo my name is Beli Uhringer, I am interested in your company of making the electronic klingklang machines.

• Haha 2

On a more serious note, I guess this kind of shows that it's not really possible to push the boundaries as a small company. If the financial realities were that they needed external investment, then looks like time has come for that external investment to extract their promised returns.

Probably a larger company could pull off this R&D and manufacturing in a way to keep the devices themselves affordable, but larger companies don't really want to experiment like this if you can have small passionate groups doing that stuff anyway and buy them up later.