IGNORED

Elektron Octatrack MKII

43 minutes ago, modey said:

I don't get why people are so passionate in their hate of this product. Just.. don't buy it? Elektron doesn't owe us anything. They've already made several amazing devices that won't suddenly stop working now that they've released a battery handle that isn't rechargeable.

Elektron encourages passion from their userbase. passion ain't all good, as i'm sure they've been seeing the last few years.

Elektron does 'owe' the handle, kinda, since they were the ones to announce that it was on the way what....two years ago? at least one, yeah? i mean they didn't pull an Overbridge with this saying it was just over the horizon for years, but at least Overbridge turned out good eventually.

personally i'm just laughing about it for the light pseudo-drama for such a niche thing, it's funny and Elektron gets clicks, who cares. and if Elektron announced an awesome _____ tomorrow with some great demos i'd be first in line on a pre-order.

edit: in reply to @TubularCorporation

And? If Elektron suddenly start making products I don't like, I'll stop buying them. Again, they don't owe us anything. I'm probably the biggest Elektron fanboy on this forum but it's only because they make gear that I enjoy using. If they suddenly become like TE or Apple or whatever, I'll say "ah well, that sucks" and move on. 

3 minutes ago, auxien said:

Elektron does 'owe' the handle, kinda, since they were the ones to announce that it was on the way what....two years ago?

Yeah, but there are people complaining that they were misled or whatever, when it was well advertised from the beginning what the device would look like, and that it would take AA batteries. 

Edited by modey
  • Burger 1

How much would it have cost them to give it a rechargeable usb battery? AA batteries are such a thing of the past. 

Edited by yekker

Probably quite a lot? You don’t just slap a usb chargeable battery in a device and sell it. Probably would’ve cost them quite a bit in r&d. 

But I do agree having a portable device run off batteries that you can buy literally anywhere in the world for reasonable money for the foreseeable future and probably until the end of times is ridiculous. Now people can’t complain about having to play shows with a device that takes some exotic usb connector that broke right before their set on the summit of the Mont Blanc and have to come up with a different excuse of why their performance sucked. 

If only chargeable AA batteries with a little USB port right there on the fucking battery that could be ordered online in packs of about four for around 20 local international monetary units existed. Things would be so different then. 

Edit: there can be only one existence.

Edited by user
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, auxien said:

lol

yeah i may pick up a M:C one day, who knows...heard some good fun come out of it before and i think there's a few purposes it could serve for my stuff. but not dying for it or anything

yeah...anything Elektron has a bit of that in-group bubble bias which is sad but has profited the company well i'd assume. chinks in that armor are showing seeing how little truly good reactions this is getting, and a good lot of vocal 'yeah that's not what anyone wanted' comments

that's good at least

anyway this guy ain't into it, he details why:

What a miserable person lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yekker said:

AA batteries are such a thing of the past. 

Honestly all of my gear with built in rechargeable batteries makes me anxious. My Gameboy Micros barely last an hour until they show a low battery indicator, which means I've had to retire them from live shows. I'd much rather have a set of rechargeable AAs that I can replace and keep the device going than a built-in one that deteriorates after a few years.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

https://bp1-support.elektron.se

Product name: Power Handle BP-1

Hazard: Under certain circumstances, the Power Handle BP-1 can cause a short circuit, potentially posing a burn and/or fire hazard to consumers.

Immediate action required

1. Stop using the Power Handle immediately
  2. Unplug the Power Handle
  3. Remove the batteries
  4. Contact us to register for the return process and full refund using the form on this page

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

anyone know the best resources on becoming good at this thing

look deep within yourself and you'll find the best resource there is

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/a-polished-version-of-merlins-ot-guide-here/42860

Or do what I did and book a show before you actually get it so you have a hard deadline.  I just barely learned enough to pull off a semi-improvised, 25 minute set in about 20 days with that method, and I think it worked well.  It's easier to not get caught up with trying to do everything when you know in a couple weeks you'll have to be able to pull of something in front of an audience.

I've been using it for 4 years now and I'd say I've learned maybe 15% of it really well at this point. I've still never used the arranger.

EDIT: I'm also using it in a completely different way now than I did the first year. Almost no overlap.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

The true scandal here is I now have no idea where the original little rubber end nubs for my Model:Cycles are :facepalm:

EDIT: FOUND THE NUBS

Edited by ascdi
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/2/2022 at 1:39 AM, cern said:

Is there anyone who likes to use Octatrack as an effect unit only? What fx do you using from there (useful) 

Sometimes. I've used it with my Nord Modular, mostly for reverb/delay which the Nord doesn't have. But I also use it almost like a Kaoss Pad, using track recorders and flex machines to glitch things up. 

• Like 1

I havent' done it in a while, but using all 8 tracks as parallel processing chains on a single input source can be really good, especially if you set it up for 4 channel output.

Stuff like narow, resonant bandpass filters feeding into sample rate reduction, with a bunch of schenes set up to make differend harmonic structures from the filter cutoffs and the aliasing tones from the downsampling.  I've done a couple shows where almost all I played was the Octatrack processing a CZ101, just playing some simple chords and phrases and using the crossfader to pick out different overtones and mess with them.