IGNORED

Elektron Octatrack MKII

True, but at the very least, I would love delay and reverb tails to be kept!

Volume lol

I thought so too but Volume can be p-locked and switching patterns when track is 'muted' with Volume can lead to unpleasant surprises sometimes because of that

Scenes!

Also if I'm not mistaken it would take 255 different scenes to cover every potential useful combination of muted tracks (we're basically talking about an 8 bit binary word here, except 0000 0000 doesn't need its own scene). Obviously it's unlikely you'd need all of them but it adds up fast and is hard to manage.

The way it is now doesn't bother me too much and has its uses, but sometimes it would be nice if it behaved like a typical mixer setup where at least reverb and delay effects are usually on a send rather than an insert. 

In my dream, the behavior of mutes can be switched between sequencer mutes and audio mutes independently for the mixer and the track buttons, and audio mutes could be set pre or post effects on a per track basis. 

Being able to set track 8 as a send track would be nice, too, but as it is if I need send effects I can usually spare the cue output.

Trig conditions

https://instagram.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t50.2886-16/21904497_130733497568731_6556225641283321856_n.mp4

DAMN! this is huge. can't wait for this to drop for the MK1! my #1 Octatrack request. :yeah::nyan:

i've been faking this with LFOs but this feature will free those up for other things.

...and to think that Elektron has said on more than one occasion that this feature would never come to the Octatrack. :facepalm:

Yeah I am really looking forward to this.

I picked up about $250 of extra work this weekend so when I get paid (Wednesday night) I'll be able to afford a Faderfox UC4, and between that and the conditional trigs I'll pretty much be able to use the OT exactly how I want to (other than not being able to transpose MIDI tracks from an external keyboard, that would be a huge thing for improvising, especially improvising with other people, but I don't expect it to ever happen).

• 2 weeks later...

i bet they're gonna hold the new MK1 os back for a week or 2 so that the MK2s get the spotlight.

still checking the downloads section every hour or so. want the trig conditions so bad.

still checking the downloads section every hour or so. want the trig conditions so bad.

Is it just trig conditions that they've announced? Wonder if any MKI users just getting the MKII are noticing anything else new.

Is it just trig conditions that they've announced? Wonder if any MKI users just getting the MKII are noticing anything else new.

the MKII manual is online. it details how the trig conditions are implemented in the OS. other than the obvious hardware changes i haven't seen any other new features mentioned yet.

i'm warming up to the new hardware a bit just for the practicality of it. the backlit buttons would be much easier to use in a dimly lit / live setting. the new buttons they added will speed up navigation & eliminate some of the key combos. screen refresh rate is quicker with the OLED ( even tho the screen is physically smaller than the MKI  :sad:  ). still i prefer the look of the MKI. maybe will pick up a used MKII in a year or so.

i've heard those new style knobs can be a pain, tho. difficult to dial in precise values. can any Digitakt users confirm?

i bet they're gonna hold the new MK1 os back for a week or 2 so that the MK2s get the spotlight.

Me too, but just the fact that the MKII shipped without getting pushed back to late December a few weeks at a time is close enough to get excited!

i've heard those new style knobs can be a pain, tho. difficult to dial in precise values. can any Digitakt users confirm?

I plock the start value on the fly a lot, so this is something I was worried about.  From the descriptions of the new encoders that have showed up on Elektronauts I kind of feel like I'd prefer the old ones, unless they changed the encoder behavior for the new ones so that you could press for fine adjustment instead of coarse adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I am really looking forward to this.

I picked up about $250 of extra work this weekend so when I get paid (Wednesday night) I'll be able to afford a Faderfox UC4, and between that and the conditional trigs I'll pretty much be able to use the OT exactly how I want to (other than not being able to transpose MIDI tracks from an external keyboard, that would be a huge thing for improvising, especially improvising with other people, but I don't expect it to ever happen).

What made you decide on the Faderfox uc4? I ended up choosing the novation launch control xl and i use that in conjunction with a midi keyboard. they are merged thru a kenton device which then goes to midi in on the octa

It was size mostly, but in the end I decided to wait on it and am putting the money toward (probably) a Tanzmaus, because the live duo I've been getting ready would benefit a lot more from a good x0x style drum machine than anything else, and the Tanzmaus sounds great.  In the long run I've got all the blank boards and most of the hard to source parts to build myself some kind of modular, 909-inspired, multi-voice analog drum synth(with the Midibox Seq v4 for sequencing) but that's still a long way off and will be bulky so the Tanzmaus will still have a role even when that's done.

I've got the live rig down to a CZ-101 and an Anushri running into the Octatrack, with a MIDI Soludions Quadrathru for splitting off clock to the other guy's modular, I can add the Tanzmaus and a small, cheap analog delay pedal (one of those little, yellow, $30 Donner pedals - they're not good but they're actually really nice for the same kind of thing you'd use a Monotron Delay or a Radio Shack Electronic Reverb or something similar for, I especially like that the headroom is so low that when you turn the feedback up enough to self oscillate the levels don't get out of control liek a lot of better delays - it just gets more distorted instead of louder) and still be able to carry all of it at once, which is the limit I've chosen for this project - if I have to take more than one trip to carry it all, then I am using too much stuff.

EDIT: looks like those pedals are a little more expensive now but still pretty cheap.

Edited by RSP

i thought you own a machinedrum, rsp

Nope, the Octatrack is the fanciest piece of gear I've ever owned.  I do have an MPC2000xl I was using a lot for 6 or 7 years before I got the OT, but the only other drum machines I have are a DR660 with some pads that don't work right, a DR-110 that smells funny and an MC303 someone gave me last year.

Oh, had a Volca Beats for a while but I traded it.

• 2 weeks later...

No, they're track mutes, so the entire sample and effect tails are cut off. I'd love something that just prevents the sequencer from triggering, maybe not even sending a note off. Perhaps something like this could be set as a global, pattern or even track behaviour in project/pattern/track edit menu.

There are currently 2 ways to achieve something like this. You can set up the tracks in a way, that the track mode has a more or less hidden feature, where you can decouple the sequencer per track from the samplers using the first 8 buttons of the sequencer. But you cannot see which is connected and which not. I didnt find this feature really usefull in the way it is currently implemented.

The other option is: You can also setup a little reverb in the background on the master track, making your mutes not that harsh by creating a reverb tail, but that might fuck up your sound in a way you dont like.

I gave up on that area and just learnt to mute and unmute my tracks in time so it fits the music.

Edited by Psychotronic

I gave up on that area and just learnt to mute and unmute my tracks in time so it fits the music.

Yeah, this works well.  It would be nice to have both.

It would also be nice to be a little bit taller/a baller/etc.

Yeah, this works well.  It would be nice to have both.

It would also be nice to be a little bit taller/a baller/etc.

Yeah, a save mode for escalating parties would be nice. I agree! :emotawesomepm9:

Oooooh shit, I actually checked just out of curiosity a couple hours ago and there was nothing there.  I was pretty much resigned to waiting until at least January for them to fix the bugs. I definitely wasn't expecting to only have to wait until after lunch.

I wish I'd thought to download the previous version just in case this one messes everything up.