IGNORED

Elektron Octatrack MKII

Did I post this one already? It's pretty impressive:

Guitar processing only, no samples except realtime recordings.

No more sound if I don’t play (you can hear that at the end). Drum sounds come from guitar processing too.

Awesome. Yes, that's it.

Every video of the octatrack doing INSANE SOUNDS is just someone automating the comb filter.

Still love it and miss mine though.

Lol. Kinda true. I wonder why there aren't any decent live sampling videos.

Live sampling well is a lot harder than making weird noises with a comb filter.

Edited by RSP

Seriously. I think the main no-brainer feature is scenes and the xfader. Just too many possibilities. But live sampling organically is just so hard. The coolest thing to do that’s like live sampling is jamming and running your friends’ stuff through track 8, then p locking the filter and volume envelope/doing live fx.

Edited by sheathe

This machine is fakkn |£r@z¥!

... Level of craziness: Seal :)

Still messing with it in demo mode... cant wait to connect mnm and mduw to it. My silver thinity is finally complete! :)

• 3 months later...

ive recently bought OT mk2 and it blows my mind every time i use it!

im thinking about selling my beloved MDuw... it's that good!

p.s. max macro tutorials as pure gold!

• Like 1

I finally got around to devoting time to my OT after nearly 2 years of mostly using it as a MIDI sequencer when I rarely did use it, and now I'm in love.

Paired up with my modular ????

znZ3RCF.jpg

• Like 2

I would really like to have an OTmkii but don't think I would have the time to fully explore it. I still haven't dug super deep into the DN.

• 4 weeks later...

I was struggling with trying to use conditional trigs, turns out I had to upgrade my Octatrack MK1 to OS 1.31! Lol I should have checked that. ?

Now I'm trying to figure this cool video out by the same guy (Ned Rush), I don't quite get why he has to route the first track through to the next tracks recording buffer. What does this do that a Neighbor track can't do? 

By running track 1 into the recording buffer of track 2 you can grab the audio from track 1 and further mangle it via track 2 (reverse the retrigged glitch that happens randomly or whatever).  A neighbor track is  only adding extra FX to your chain ( track 1 fx + track 2 fx vs just the 2 available via track 1) and doesn't allow you to change Rate/Start position of the audio among many other things.  

Thanks Hautlle! I went back and watched the video again following each step and doing it myself with an amen, replaying each bit so I didn't miss anything. I see now that neighbor tracks don't have the playback parameter menu (I feel like a playback parameter menu after stopping and rewinding that video so may times). I tried to implement it all again from memory on a new break and came up with some pretty hectic results. Maybe not that musical sounding but I find the endless variations you can get with these methods quite satisfying.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thnx to all in this thread for posting thoughts, ideas, etc. Snagged a MKII, arrived this past weekend, spent the last couple of days working through the basics. . . very glad I took the time before it arrived to dig deep into some tutorial videos. For future buyers/users, the videos here are an excellent introduction to the machine  - they want you to pay for the course, but you can watch up to 5 videos a day for free - I basically took the last few weeks and just watched a few a day and made some notes. Guy breaks things down in a very straightforward way - plus sounds kind of like Neil DeGrasse Tyson which is an another bonus. 

Another cool thing (I don't think I saw anyone post this before): https://ticticelectro.com/2017/08/26/octachainer-v1-3/ 

This is a prog that allows you take files and then create "chains" - i.e., you could do things like put all the samples for a 808 into the prog, and it will spit out a file that is one wav that is slice mapped to each sound with .ot file included. Don't forget the megabreak option ?

• Like 3

Ta m8 ? Yeah, so, part of the plan is to do just that - send via audio interface out and capture live samples. Right now, just spending some time wrapping my head around the workflow of the device. Part of that work is dumping a metric ass ton of samples I have onto the CF card and fucking around with that... which is such a pleasure. Waiting for appropriate patch cables for routing audio and such to arrive. . .

It's a very flexible machine innit? I actually have been considering how I'd like to use it - one thing I'm going to do is take some old tracks and bounce audio of individual tracks down to samples, and then remix in the machine. . . another is to slave it to renoise via midi and use it as a performance device for various sounds in to add to existing tracks (maybe even do live remixing). Possibilities seem endless...

Anyway, extremely satisfied with it - takes me back to early days working w/ a Boss sampler and the joys of working within the limits of a "box" - something that seems to encourage experimentation and "play" (at least for me) - though, this particular box seems like it can do almost anything w/ exception of, maybe, extensive synthesis + polyphony per track. . .

5 hours ago, T3551ER said:

w/ exception of, maybe, extensive synthesis

It can do more than you might expect!

http://project1404.com/monolith2/

Earlier this summer I was out of town with nothing but the Octatrack and for fun I build up a basic analog-style drum machine (kick, snare, hats and I think a tom) using nothing but samples of the OT's own self noise and single-cycle waveforms sampled from internal feedback (put the OT into studio mode, set up a track to record from cue and play back its own buffer, then bring up that track's cue level until it starts to feed back in a way that you like; stop playback, open the record buffer in the audio editor, and clip out a single cycle of what's in there) for the tone sources, with single cycle LFOs for pitch modulation.  Worked OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2