Jump to content

Elektron Octatrack MKII


mngosx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Oof tessier got an OT , nice work 

I thought u were all software tho ? Have you got it set up so you can send individual channels in to the AB / CD ? Not sure what sound card or DAW you are using but you should be able to set up busses so you can get into live sampling straight up ... Live mangling and grabbing samples on the fly is that machines strength imo 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ta m8 ? Yeah, so, part of the plan is to do just that - send via audio interface out and capture live samples. Right now, just spending some time wrapping my head around the workflow of the device. Part of that work is dumping a metric ass ton of samples I have onto the CF card and fucking around with that... which is such a pleasure. Waiting for appropriate patch cables for routing audio and such to arrive. . .

It's a very flexible machine innit? I actually have been considering how I'd like to use it - one thing I'm going to do is take some old tracks and bounce audio of individual tracks down to samples, and then remix in the machine. . . another is to slave it to renoise via midi and use it as a performance device for various sounds in to add to existing tracks (maybe even do live remixing). Possibilities seem endless...

Anyway, extremely satisfied with it - takes me back to early days working w/ a Boss sampler and the joys of working within the limits of a "box" - something that seems to encourage experimentation and "play" (at least for me) - though, this particular box seems like it can do almost anything w/ exception of, maybe, extensive synthesis + polyphony per track. . .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, T3551ER said:

w/ exception of, maybe, extensive synthesis

It can do more than you might expect!

 

http://project1404.com/monolith2/

 

Earlier this summer I was out of town with nothing but the Octatrack and for fun I build up a basic analog-style drum machine (kick, snare, hats and I think a tom) using nothing but samples of the OT's own self noise and single-cycle waveforms sampled from internal feedback (put the OT into studio mode, set up a track to record from cue and play back its own buffer, then bring up that track's cue level until it starts to feed back in a way that you like; stop playback, open the record buffer in the audio editor, and clip out a single cycle of what's in there) for the tone sources, with single cycle LFOs for pitch modulation.  Worked OK.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, T3551ER said:

Thnx to all in this thread for posting thoughts, ideas, etc. Snagged a MKII, arrived this past weekend, spent the last couple of days working through the basics. . . very glad I took the time before it arrived to dig deep into some tutorial videos. For future buyers/users, the videos here are an excellent introduction to the machine  - they want you to pay for the course, but you can watch up to 5 videos a day for free - I basically took the last few weeks and just watched a few a day and made some notes. Guy breaks things down in a very straightforward way - plus sounds kind of like Neil DeGrasse Tyson which is an another bonus. 

Another cool thing (I don't think I saw anyone post this before): https://ticticelectro.com/2017/08/26/octachainer-v1-3/ 

This is a prog that allows you take files and then create "chains" - i.e., you could do things like put all the samples for a 808 into the prog, and it will spit out a file that is one wav that is slice mapped to each sound with .ot file included. Don't forget the megabreak option ?

 

That prog seems vvvery interesting -  thanks for sharing! 

Also picked up a MKii recently and have been trying to get my head around it

Saw some of that guys tutorials on youtube and thought he presented well, shall check more I think

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2019 at 8:15 PM, TRiP said:

That prog seems vvvery interesting -  thanks for sharing! 

Also picked up a MKii recently and have been trying to get my head around it

Saw some of that guys tutorials on youtube and thought he presented well, shall check more I think

NP! Do a search on the elektron forums for "megabreak" and it'll give you some ideas on how to use that aspect of the prog. 

I've been obsessively watching tutorials for this thing - here's a quick one that gives you something interesting to play with (a sort of granular playback thing using retrig and playback position):

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 7/6/2017 at 10:28 PM, digit said:

 

exactly this. all these people clamoring for streaming each track out of their elektrons into separate tracks in a DAW so they can work on them further... they're just postponing decision making. fear of commitment.

 

get it right in the machine. balance, eq, all of it. you have so much control over the params in elektron kit. there's no excuses. get it right & then just record it. stereo mix. done.

 

of course you could fiddle with each track and each sound until the end of time if you wanted to. and then nothing would ever get finished.

 

overbridge sucks. totally at odds with the whole original philosophy of that company & their hardware.

I think this is a really inspiring post and I feel one of the things preventing me from being any good at making music is because of viewing it from a programming perspective.  I view the end goal as ultimate algorithmic control over the song to the point where you can start at the tweaking and only ever tweak.  Whereas in reality, the act live performance itself has to be there, it just has to be channeled through the right control over the controls of the instrument, which can be set up or memorized ahead of time and experimented with

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2020 at 4:43 AM, dingformung said:

How's that æ replica going? :biggrin:

ha ha.

 

thats the thing, tho. with my tracks i record them just like i mentioned in the post zeff quoted. straight out of the machine, mostly improvised, edit out the boring parts. don't monkey around with them in the daw. it's easier & fun because there is no right or wrong. i can just do whatever i like.

 

with the ae reconstruction there is a right & wrong way. not only that but there is a pre-existing recording to match. it's the opposite of how i've always worked & very difficult & tedious. all i'm doing is monkeying around in the daw. i could do it quicker & just approximate it but then it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the recording. but yeah, i'm probably getting too obsessive with it.

 

anyway - octatrack is awesome. just say no to overbridge.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

i'm throwing around the idea of buying an octatrack and have questions.

 i own a 101 and 303 that i need to control. 303 would just be midi sync possibly? or maybe sampling and playing around with it the same with the 101, sequencing it with the octatrack and then sampling it. i don't understand what the 4 note midi polyphony means. does that mean a max 4 note at the same time like a chord? because 4 notes max doesn't sound that bad.. though i read that chords are tricky with the thing.

i'd just really want to know with my 101 and 303 and some learning if this thing is recommended for me. 

i like the fact it can control my synths with midi and then fuck with it a bit. i'm learning reaper and i wanted a drum machine but i figure a powerful sampler with midi sequencing would be even better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yekker said:

i don't understand what the 4 note midi polyphony means. does that mean a max 4 note at the same time like a chord? because 4 notes max doesn't sound that bad.. though i read that chords are tricky with the thing.

Yes, 4 notes max, per trig, per track. As for actually sequencing them, you have the base note, then 3 additional note parameters that are above or below (I think it goes below as well? I haven't played with it in a while..) the root note.

1718128978_ScreenShot2020-10-13at2_23_30pm.png.806aa54c972382c581ef64f8bbc6a8e3.png

So really it's more about programming chords than being a full-blown MIDI sequencer that will play everything back exactly as you played it. 

It's actually not that bad—if you know your intervals (root-3-7 for minor, root-4-7 for major etc.) it's pretty quick tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, modey said:

Yes, 4 notes max, per trig, per track. As for actually sequencing them, you have the base note, then 3 additional note parameters that are above or below (I think it goes below as well? I haven't played with it in a while..) the root note.

1718128978_ScreenShot2020-10-13at2_23_30pm.png.806aa54c972382c581ef64f8bbc6a8e3.png

So really it's more about programming chords than being a full-blown MIDI sequencer that will play everything back exactly as you played it. 

It's actually not that bad—if you know your intervals (root-3-7 for minor, root-4-7 for major etc.) it's pretty quick tbh.

but if i don't care about chords how is it? sorry if i'm a bit daft but what does 4 note polyphony really mean? 4 at the same time? can i make basslines and such with more than 4 notes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, yekker said:

but if i don't care about chords how is it? sorry if i'm a bit daft but what does 4 note polyphony really mean? 4 at the same time? can i make basslines and such with more than 4 notes?

Of course you can have more than four notes in the pattern. The four note limit is how many can be in a chord (or arpeggio) per step. These notes can be anything, at any time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi im a 0iq baby and im considering buying this

lets say i wanted to be able to jam out quick sequences from an input large keyboard synth by hand and have them replayed in loops and maybe outputted to other synths as the voice, then add more and more of these layers. can it do it with this thing?

thx much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

hi im a 0iq baby and im considering buying this

lets say i wanted to be able to jam out quick sequences from an input large keyboard synth by hand and have them replayed in loops and maybe outputted to other synths as the voice, then add more and more of these layers. can it do it with this thing?

thx much

Definitely doable. You get 8 tracks' worth of dedicated MIDI tracks alongside the audio tracks. Real-time note recording is a liiittle awkward with the OT due to its a step sequencer implementation. I find the recorded timing with quantize off is a little bad, and it's not just my shitty rhythm - my MPC1000 is way more accurate. But if you're not fussed about getting delicate portamento or jazz chords, and just want to drop in chunky bass notes, leads, and 4-note chord stabs, you're good. It's a pretty fast sequencer in general and has tons of tricks up its sleeve: per-track timing settings (polyrhythms), several track speeds (2x down to 1/8 speed!), and trig conditions (e.g. probability, playing only every X playthroughs, fills, etc.) spring to mind.

The OT has a reputation for being really difficult to learn, but it's set up so you can fumble your way to whichever 5% of its capabilities you actually want to use, and whatever facility that is will likely be pretty straightforward. There's just a lot it can do.

Edited by sweepstakes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sweepstakes said:

Definitely doable. You get 8 tracks' worth of dedicated MIDI tracks alongside the audio tracks. Real-time note recording is a liiittle awkward with the OT due to its a step sequencer implementation. I find the recorded timing with quantize off is a little bad, and it's not just my shitty rhythm - my MPC1000 is way more accurate. But if you're not fussed about getting delicate portamento or jazz chords, and just want to drop in chunky bass notes, leads, and 4-note chord stabs, you're good. It's a pretty fast sequencer in general and has tons of tricks up its sleeve: per-track timing settings (polyrhythms), several track speeds (2x down to 1/8 speed!), and trig conditions (e.g. probability, playing only every X playthroughs, fills, etc.) spring to mind.

The OT has a reputation for being really difficult to learn, but it's set up so you can fumble your way to whichever 5% of its capabilities you actually want to use, and whatever facility that is will likely be pretty straightforward. There's just a lot it can do.

that sounds really sick and exactly what i want.  I wondered in the metaphorical shower once whether it would have noticeable quantization but I guess it's not a big deal.  thanks that sounds like something to use for a long time and therefore a good value

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

that sounds really sick and exactly what i want.  I wondered in the metaphorical shower once whether it would have noticeable quantization but I guess it's not a big deal.  thanks that sounds like something to use for a long time and therefore a good value

The weird thing is, you can get really precise with microtiming. And its MIDI clock is rock solid. It's just when recording that it goofs it up - once you go back and dial it in where you want it, you're golden.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...