I mean duh chillwave has roots in disco, but i guess this feels more like upright, higher tempo, almost pop disco. For me, a principle of chillwave is the droning synths, reverb/compression combo, etc that gives it the lethargic, almost melancholy atmosphere, which Mister Mellow seems devoid of (especially in comparison with something like Life of Leisure)

Yeah I agree, that was the way it sounded at the start before people branched out and the genre was watered down to describe indie "chill" electronic in general.

The way you describe it also describes a lot (but not all) Hypnagogic Pop which is kind of the origin species for chillwave and vaporwave

• 1 month later...

Saw them last night in Brooklyn. What a killer set. Super sick visuals all the way through too. Fantastic.

Edit: Was that High Times EP ever made available for download?

• 1 year later...

Edit: Was that High Times EP ever made available for download?

Bump ~ it's been re-issued and streaming for a month now. Included previously unreleased tracks. On tape and vinyl as well. I think it might have been remastered too.

https://washedout.kungfustore.com/

Archived