IGNORED

gestate (slow acid, inf by Plastikman)

flacid

Been listening to a lot of Plastikman recently and love the slow BPM acid sound and general sound design. This is obviously miles off but I like the overall atmosphere and the sounds used. I also need to remember to add swing to my drums, I always forget to do it and think it might help create hypnotic rhythms, particularly when a track has less variety than other forms of electronic music. Will experiment with that next. 

https://soundcloud.com/606303/gestate

the picture you used goes well with the ambient texture in the background.

I really like that little rhythmic effect you have got panned to the left channel.

Is that auxiliary percussion with a noise gate on it?

I think it would be really interesting as a comparison to hear how much the feel of this track changes if you add swing to your whole track and maybe throw in a tambourine and shaker in. Right now it feels like spooky slow techno, i think with swing it might suddenly turn into sexy techno.

This is good, really like the current tempo and that 303. I think you could make this a little darker though; sexier as Salvatorin said :p

I would like to offer the below critique. It would mean just a few small alterations though, so don't take it the wrong way :)

Nothing too big, just polishing the track (in my humble opinion).

- work a little bit with removing some parts - making it a bit more scarce and skeletal but still interesting via some nice reverb, especially on the 303

- use that haunting texture/pad that comes in after 2 min mark less. Work more with the elements you got and then add that pad a few times so that it really stands out

- I think there might be room for a few notes of a low freq bassline between the kicks as well

- add some sparks to the 303 via resonance modulation

- I'm not a fan of the snare, maybe try a pitched down clap instead?

yeah im digging this track a lot. i agree that it's a bit busy. i'm guilty of that too! one thing that works well for this style is have some of the percussion 'out of phase' with the rest of the loop i.e. looping every 3 beats instead of 4 or whatever so the repetitions are off a bit. I can guarantee it would work for this track but might be something to play around with. Anyway, love the consumed-era plastikman stuff so its nice to hear this. 

Cheers for listening dudes.  :beer:

the picture you used goes well with the ambient texture in the background.

I really like that little rhythmic effect you have got panned to the left channel.

Is that auxiliary percussion with a noise gate on it?

I think it would be really interesting as a comparison to hear how much the feel of this track changes if you add swing to your whole track and maybe throw in a tambourine and shaker in. Right now it feels like spooky slow techno, i think with swing it might suddenly turn into sexy techno.

I've panned quite a few things but I think the percussive part you are talking about is via the Monomachine. I've never used a gate before, too much effort :) I will definitely use swing on the next track, unfortunately I find it really hard going back to tracks once I think they're done. Would much rather make something new. Been testing some sequences with swing and even a small change makes quite a bit of difference so will experiment with a full track soon enough. 

This is good, really like the current tempo and that 303. I think you could make this a little darker though; sexier as Salvatorin said :p

I would like to offer the below critique. It would mean just a few small alterations though, so don't take it the wrong way :)

Nothing too big, just polishing the track (in my humble opinion).

- work a little bit with removing some parts - making it a bit more scarce and skeletal but still interesting via some nice reverb, especially on the 303

- use that haunting texture/pad that comes in after 2 min mark less. Work more with the elements you got and then add that pad a few times so that it really stands out

- I think there might be room for a few notes of a low freq bassline between the kicks as well

- add some sparks to the 303 via resonance modulation

- I'm not a fan of the snare, maybe try a pitched down clap instead?

Excellent feedback, cheers. Always after learning more/thinking about potential ideas. I agree that the 'Plastikman' sound requires more minimalism, less sounds and more variation. This is the 1st track I've done in this style so hope the next ones will be better. Agree on the use of the pad, when I listen back its in it too much, problem is I record these live and was really into it so let it play longer than I should have! I also had issues telling my DX what to do so it wouldn't play my alternative lines, this would have made the track a lot better and I'll fix this next time rather than just going with one pattern. I didn't really consider a low/sub baseline for this track as I wanted it to be clear for the 303. I might look into this at some point if my mixing skills are up to it. I was very careful with the 303 in this track and although I like resonance normally I didn't think it fit with this one. I can't make my mind up about the snare. I agree that it stands out and doesn't fit but for some reason I like it. Either way I doubt I'll use it too much going forward. 

yeah im digging this track a lot. i agree that it's a bit busy. i'm guilty of that too! one thing that works well for this style is have some of the percussion 'out of phase' with the rest of the loop i.e. looping every 3 beats instead of 4 or whatever so the repetitions are off a bit. I can guarantee it would work for this track but might be something to play around with. Anyway, love the consumed-era plastikman stuff so its nice to hear this. 

Haha, I find it really hard not to layer things up. I need to get better at writing multiple patterns with less sounds as it's more interesting to the listener and the quality of the sounds shine through. For some reason I struggle with this. I quite often do polyrhythmic drums but this was the 1st track with a new setup so I was more focussed on other things. Agree that it's a good idea though. Hopefully the next couple of tracks will be better in terms of variety, sound design and overall atmosphere. 

I kept waiting for that spooky pad to transform into something even creepier and weirder and more unsettling, and then it didn't and that might have left me feeling even more anxious. Groovy stuff though, agree that the percussion could use a little more oomph or sheen or summat... but I really like what you're putting down here.

Very nice. I'm not really a huge fan of the acid bass stuff but that's just a personal preference. I think the tune would be even more creepy and consuming if it weren't running throughout the whole thing. But then again, it would probably feel like it was missing something. Anyways, I like it

Cheers guys, always appreciate your input  :beer:

I kept waiting for that spooky pad to transform into something even creepier and weirder and more unsettling, and then it didn't and that might have left me feeling even more anxious. Groovy stuff though, agree that the percussion could use a little more oomph or sheen or summat... but I really like what you're putting down here.

Yeah, I actually wrote different lines for the pad melody and it sounded really good but for some reason the midi sequencer was fucking it up sending the messages to the DX so I could only use one line! I should have fixed it really but I just really wanted to record it. I agree that repetition can create a hypnotic atmosphere (although maybe not in this exact case). In terms of trying to create something with a 'slight' Plastikman palette I wanted to make the percussion a quieter part (although i also forgot to increase the db level for the drums after recording so this may explain the lack of 'bang'). 

Very nice. I'm not really a huge fan of the acid bass stuff but that's just a personal preference. I think the tune would be even more creepy and consuming if it weren't running throughout the whole thing. But then again, it would probably feel like it was missing something. Anyways, I like it

Acid is a weird one. I get why people aren't that bothered by it (I don't like the distorted type at all) but I do dig the slower, minimal baselines with less notes and a bit of slide. My example in that track doesn't work as much as I'd like but I was happy with the 'idea' it put across. Just need to practice writing more, the 303 is a weird beast. I did consider taking it out but it took too much away from the track. I don't like keeping things in for the whole time but I couldn't take it out so the next best thing was increase/decrease the cut off/decay/envelope so that I had louder/quieter parts. 

Nah yeah, I agree. If it was gone the track would feel like it was missing something. I'm just not all that into acid so it's completely subjective methinks

I like this! Really like this!

But you should try and pitch the whole thing down (resample) once you're down with it. Maybe just 1,5 semitones. I'm sure that would make it sound more Plasticman-like ;D

Also, check out Tinman if you haven't already

Sounds really good. The hihat that comes in at the beginning seems a bit loud. You mention swinging your drums but I think for that "plastikman sound" a more static groove is more appropriate. The atmospheric sounds that you introduce after around a minute are too loud and static to my ears (maybe turn it down and add some more modulation to the reverb) the rimshot could be turned down a bit as well and could use some rythmic variation, some offbeat variations or subtle stutters would improve the flow imho.

Add some (tape) hiss for extra plastik authenticity :)

Overall really good show (I can almost hear the "acid, acid, acid house" vocal sample through it) but the mixing/vibe could use some improvement. 

One last (closer to the) edit: you nailed the most important part as far as I;m concerned which is the acid line throughout, very nice. 

But you should try and pitch the whole thing down (resample) once you're down with it. Maybe just 1,5 semitones. I'm sure that would make it sound more Plasticman-like ;D

Nice! High praise indeed. I like the idea of pitching it down and have got a tape player that I've thought about recording into and playing around with the pitching as it does have this very nice effect. I've heard about Tinman a few times so will definitely check out his stuff. 

Sounds really good. The hihat that comes in at the beginning seems a bit loud. You mention swinging your drums but I think for that "plastikman sound" a more static groove is more appropriate. The atmospheric sounds that you introduce after around a minute are too loud and static to my ears (maybe turn it down and add some more modulation to the reverb) the rimshot could be turned down a bit as well and could use some rythmic variation, some offbeat variations or subtle stutters would improve the flow imho.

Overall really good show (I can almost hear the "acid, acid, acid house" vocal sample through it) but the mixing/vibe could use some improvement. 

One last (closer to the) edit: you nailed the most important part as far as I;m concerned which is the acid line throughout, very nice. 

Cheers for listening dude. Yeah, I've got to work on my mixing a bit :) I always have loud hi hats, even though I'm aware of this. Guess I just like them that way. I agree that his drums are quite regimented, think they might have a small amount of swing on them though so will test. I know I need to work on my variety/sound modulation and have a new audio interface to help me separate and 'treat' my sounds post recording which will hopefully help. Guess will just improve more taking my time and making new tracks. This is the 1st one I've made as this type of track so happy with it as an initial go but agree it needs more work to create it's own thing. 

Been listening to a lot of Plastikman recently and love the slow BPM acid sound and general sound design. This is obviously miles off but I like the overall atmosphere and the sounds used. I also need to remember to add swing to my drums, I always forget to do it and think it might help create hypnotic rhythms, particularly when a track has less variety than other forms of electronic music. Will experiment with that next. 

thats just the right side of minimal, the listful mood is delicious & slow chuggy 4/4 @ 100-120bpm done properly always has a certain magnetism

for swing it would be easy to add a shuffle sequence & subsequently ruin it......i'd maybe have a rummage around for a few live/non-quantized sample candidates and experiment with what layers best with whats done so far.....give it some time only cos time away from a project can give your ears some breathing space if they've been focused on this a lot

if u have access to a mini-moog/vst, it might open up a riffy solo option for a drum break about halfway, but that depends on your playing/keyboard chops, mini-moogs sit nicely over acid-lines and dont over-burden a track with too many acid elements, also has a lovely vibrant but slightly melancholic tonal range & that might elevate the composition further, nothing too complicated just enough to ride the harmonics already laid down

thats just the right side of minimal, the listful mood is delicious & slow chuggy 4/4 @ 100-120bpm done properly always has a certain magnetism

for swing it would be easy to add a shuffle sequence & subsequently ruin it......i'd maybe have a rummage around for a few live/non-quantized sample candidates and experiment with what layers best with whats done so far.....give it some time only cos time away from a project can give your ears some breathing space if they've been focused on this a lot

if u have access to a mini-moog/vst, it might open up a riffy solo option for a drum break about halfway, but that depends on your playing/keyboard chops, mini-moogs sit nicely over acid-lines and dont over-burden a track with too many acid elements, also has a lovely vibrant but slightly melancholic tonal range & that might elevate the composition further, nothing too complicated just enough to ride the harmonics already laid down

Cheers for the insights/tips :beer: . I might come back to this one at some point although I find it hard to go back, I always like to take what I've made and learn from it to make something new and better. I did have a moog minataur briefly and really liked the tone of it. Shouldn't have sold it but maybe I'll get another one day  :music:

Nice! High praise indeed. I like the idea of pitching it down and have got a tape player that I've thought about recording into and playing around with the pitching as it does have this very nice effect. I've heard about Tinman a few times so will definitely check out his stuff. 

Cheers for listening dude. Yeah, I've got to work on my mixing a bit :) I always have loud hi hats, even though I'm aware of this. Guess I just like them that way. I agree that his drums are quite regimented, think they might have a small amount of swing on them though so will test. I know I need to work on my variety/sound modulation and have a new audio interface to help me separate and 'treat' my sounds post recording which will hopefully help. Guess will just improve more taking my time and making new tracks. This is the 1st one I've made as this type of track so happy with it as an initial go but agree it needs more work to create it's own thing. 

I sort of (stupidly) assumed this was multitracked, I guess getting a cheap chorus pedal or whatever to put on what you're generating the atmospheric pads with would make the difference (to me anyway ;)).

The way you mix your hats (or anything for that matter) is of course completely up to you, I've had people comment that my tracks/mixes/masters were too low on high freq content so it might just be my ears and when I do my own tracks I also tend to give the hats a prominent place for extra impact. Maybe play around a bit with having them come in quite loud and the turning them down a bit and back up to taste (something I've yet to try myself, tend to keep the volume the same and just throw a bunch of modulation on them).

• 2 months later...

Very analordy, love the Baltic sound string melody, the tone of the sound is really rich, the acids really nice and soothing, I love sub-90bpm tempos!

Very analordy, love the Baltic sound string melody, the tone of the sound is really rich, the acids really nice and soothing, I love sub-90bpm tempos!

Thanks a lot dude. I like DX pads a lot :)  :beer:

Brilliant tune man! As some had mentioned already, i'm not sure how you're putting this together but a bit of variation on the acid line would help let it breathe a little more. If you're working with recordings you could tweak different reverbs on the left and right channels.

I love the paddy thing in the background - that is right up my alley. 

Yeah, I know I should have had more variation with my acid line but it was just a jam really and I was experimenting with other things instead of the specific line. Cheers for listening.  :beer:

Archived