IGNORED

Ween is the best living band in the world

Auditor

because there is a (great) ween song for just about every situation in life  (just check numerous WATMM thread replies for proof). 

Anyone going to see them in Suwannee for Hulaween? 

post-21007-0-61720800-1499089494_thumb.jpeg

Seen em' many times, but nothing will top their 2000 show in Pontiac, MI. One of my top five shows for sure.

Setlist:

Buckingham Green
Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)
Don't Get 2 Close (2 My Fantasy)
Wavin' My Dick in the Wind
Dr. Rock
Freedom of '76
Even If You Don't
The Golden Eel
Mutilated Lips
Roses Are Free
Sketches of Winkle
Fat Lenny
Mister, Would You Please Help My Pony?
Voodoo Lady
Back to Basom
Frank
Bananas and Blow
The HIV Song
Piss Up a Rope
Booze Me Up and Get Me High
Baby Bitch
Mister Richard Smoker
I'll Be Your Jonny on the Spot
Ocean Man
Puerto Rican Power
You Fucked Up
Reggaejunkiejew
Buenas Tardes Amigo

Encore:
Ice Castles
Stroker Ace
Tick
The Blarney Stone
L.M.L.Y.P.

Encore 2:
Hot for Teacher
(Van Halen cover)

Encore 3:
Purple Rain
(Prince cover)
(Prince cover)
Fluffy
I Saw Gener Cryin' in His Sleep
Demon Sweat
Maybe I'm Amazed
(Paul McCartney cover)
Band on the Run
(Wings cover)
Captain Fantasy
Poopship Destroyer

Saw 'em in Florida around the same time (2001 I think) and it was the best rock show I've ever seen. Been to a few of the later shows taht were great but never lived up. Would have killed to see them back in the day with just the brothers and an ADAT, though. 

I might have cried a little when they did the break up thing in 2011

53452445_21f9fed8d9.jpg

800px-Flickr_-_moses_namkung_-_Ween_5.jp

img_5773.jpg431594~1.JPG

I live in the UK so I've already accepted the fact that I won't ever see them.

My Live in Chicago DVD will suffice.

I saw them play live in Shepherd's Bush, the night was advertised as An Evening with Ween, they didn't have any support bands and after listening to their collosal live versions of tunes on Ween Radio I was expecting epic things. Sadly I think this was when Gene was pretty fucked up so it felt like they barely played an hour, I could be wrong though as I was fairly drunk.

But whatever, I will always love them. They have so many amazing b-sides they could use for Shinola volume 2.

I don't think they were skilled musicians to begin with, only really started getting really good with Choc+Cheese, that's when their songwriting started to improve as well. Pure Guava is the only one of their early albums I can really listen to as well, as it has some of the competence of the later stuff while still being pretty crazy. Choc+Cheese is my favourite, mostly because it was the first one I really got into probably, love The Mollusk too.

I need to get into Ween at some point :whistling:

See them live or take drugs and listen to The Pod, The Mollusk, Quebec, or Pure Guava on repeat

hate to be that guy but i don't think you need the drugs! they're great fun no matter what state you're in.

i'd say they're like beefheart in that doing it wrong is doing it just right. they're skilled musicians who know how to break the rules and by doing that they sorta trick you into thinking they're completely terrible. at least this applies to most of their early stuff, from chocolate and cheese onwards they've been more polished and less dissonant. 

The thing about Ween is that it is really hard to get people into them because they literally span almost every genre. One song can sound like a completely different band than another. While I wholeheartedly agree that nobody needs drugs to love Ween, I generally recommend introducing people to the band with the aid of their favorite mind-alterers simply because the general person will LISTEN more acutely while he/she is fucked up (depending on the drug of course). Also, I mean, Ween are famously pro hallucinogens, so why not listen to them in a state that the bro's were in when they made the music? 

I rarely do drugs anymore, btw. I just figure this is a safe place to recommend that type of behavior. 

I don't think they were skilled musicians to begin with, only really started getting really good with Choc+Cheese, that's when their songwriting started to improve as well. Pure Guava is the only one of their early albums I can really listen to as well, as it has some of the competence of the later stuff while still being pretty crazy. Choc+Cheese is my favourite, mostly because it was the first one I really got into probably, love The Mollusk too.

Dean was always a pretty good guitar player, though he definitely learned to shred with the best of them over time. I would suggest listening to GodWeenSatan and especially The Pod again. Both will grow on you if you let the brownness take effect...

No love for White Pepper? Musically one of their best...

Definitely their most polished album, I'm just more into their weirder shit most days.

Archived