IGNORED

AFOT & Boc Maxima tapes in Ypsilanti

Goiter Sanchez

BTW, I posted this over at Twoism (related discussion about the tapes at Ypsianti) - more pre-Twoism history has come to light:

https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/1lbq8e/does_anybody_have_the_first_ever_production_from/

Make sure you expand the thread to see the additional comments about BOC's early days and what they were called before they were called BOC...

Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Thank you!

BTW, I posted this over at Twoism (related discussion about the tapes at Ypsianti) - more pre-Twoism history has come to light:

https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/1lbq8e/does_anybody_have_the_first_ever_production_from/

Make sure you expand the thread to see the additional comments about BOC's early days and what they were called before they were called BOC...

~Buckie High plays softly in the background~

Those reddit posts are great. Never seen them before.

Regarding the early stuff existing or not existing -- what's to make of Pierro Scaruffi's reviews of them? I've wondered this before and I'm sure it's been addressed, but he reviews them like they absolutely exist and he's heard them...

When they formed in the mid 1980s, Boards Of Canada were originally a commune of Scottish artists and musicians, but they quickly thinned down to a trio and then eventually to the duo of electronic musicians Michael Sanderson and Marcus Eoin. They released four cassettes between 1987 and 1993. Catalogue 3 (Music70, 1987 - Music70, 1997) has three lengthy tracks of rather uneventful ambient electronica (Line Two, Breach Tones, Visual Drone 12) and two shorter tracks. Their mellow, disjointed electronica was not particularly revolutionary. Acid Memories (Music70, 1989) is even less imposing, as are the 17 short pieces of Closes Volume 1 (Music70, 1993 - Music70, 1997), but Play By Numbers (Music 70, 1994), with the 9-minute Infinite Lines Of Colourful Sevens, showcased a more creative approach.

The EP Hooper Bay (MUsic 70, 1994), whose extended compositions are Seward Leaf, Noatak and Point Hope, heralded their mature phase, which yielded the 20 ambient tracks of the album Boc Maxima (MUsic 70, 1995), particularly the melancholy Everything You Do Is A Balloon and their early masterpiece Turquoise Hexagon Sun.

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol6/boardsof.html

^ That's one of the main sources I've seen cited as proof of their existence in the first place. I didn't see that review of PS until I stumbled upon it via bocpages. 

Archived