IGNORED

Uploading un-copyrighted music.

Original music. I'm not saying remixes. Can you get a record deal, uploading un-copyrighted music to the internet? I don't want to do that if someone will steal my songs. If you're serious, you want to try copyright, and then have an official release wouldn't you? Because the internet is global. Do you know what i am saying?

Original music. I'm not saying remixes. Can you get a record deal, uploading un-copyrighted music to the internet? I don't want to do that if someone will steal my songs. If you're serious, you want to try copyright, and then have an official release wouldn't you? Because the internet is global. Do you know what i am saying?

Assuming you're in the United States (not sure how copyright law works in other countries) you automatically own the rights to anything you put out. Even if you haven't filed for copyright someone cannot legally steal your song and claim it's theirs as it legally belongs to you.

As soon as it is "fixed in tangible form" (.e. recorded or written down as sheet music r whatever) it is copyrighted, you don't actively copyright something.

You can register your copyright and that will give you more legal protection (in theory) but it isn't necessary - copyright happens as soon as a work is actually created rather than just being an idea or a live performance.  Beyond that it's just a matter of documenting that you were the one who did it first.  Even if you explicitly waive your copyright privileges via Creative Commons or whatever it's still legally copyrighted.

In the USA.  Can't speak to other countries.

New laws state that you must submit any completed piece of music to DJ Copyright and allow him the option of remixing it. Until then it is not actually copywrit. Whether he chooses to remix the track or not has no bearing on whether or not it is copywrittood but if he does remix it then you are allowed to Spotify the piece. That's why you can't find any Beethoven on Spotifiple because he never legality supmittened his trax 2 DJ Copyright

gud luck fam

In the united states when you have a piece of work for download or handed out on any media you are voiding copyright law if you don't have it copyrighted with the u.s copyright office, it is up for grabs. for anyone to say it is theirs. that's what i understand.

Not true. As previously mentioned, the time you create the work, you hold an informal copyright on said work. However, unless you have incontestable proof of when the work was created, somebody could take your work, claim it is theirs, and if they filed a formal copyright claim, could invalidate your claim based on lack of proof on your part.

This is why unreleased tracks, even though they are not commercially available, are still subject to copyright law, and most musicians' work is covered under their publisher's license.

The poor man's copyright method is to put it on a physical medium and then mail it to yourself.

If you have all of your original files, you won't have to worry about that, though.

• 2 months later...

The poor man's copyright method is to put it on a physical medium and then mail it to yourself.

If you have all of your original files, you won't have to worry about that, though.

Or... You can upload a song you created using everything you bought and have proof of in case you're interogated by the mind police to soundcloud cos the song was uploaded 1 minute ago and the mind police just said "up".

edit: the email you provide to soundcloud is legit with your isp and your isp has your home address.

Archived