IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Add Violence

"ADD VIOLENCE FINDS NINE INCH NAILS BECOMING MORE ACCESSIBLE AND IMPENETRABLE AT THE SAME TIME. THE SONIC PALETTE EXPANDS SIGNIFICANTLY FROM NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS, INCORPORATING ELEMENTS OF BEAUTY INTO THE DARK DISSONANCE. THE NARRATIVE ARC LINKING THE THREE RECORDS BEGINS TO EMERGE THROUGH THE DISASSOCIATED LYRICS AND THE PROVOCATIVE AND CLUE-FILLED COVER ARTWORK AND ACCOMPANYING PHYSICAL COMPONENT, AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH THE NIN.COM STORE.

PRE-ORDER DIGITAL EP + PHYSICAL COMPONENT ON NIN.COM AND RECEIVE “LESS THAN”

FULL DIGITAL EP AVAILABLE 7/21 AND PHYSICAL COMPONENT COMMENCES SHIPPING WEEK OF 8/7

GET NOTIFIED WHEN ADD VIOLENCE VINYL AVAILABLE TO ORDER

ADD VIOLENCE CD COMING SEPTEMBER 1ST

TRACK LISTING

LESS THAN

THE LOVERS

THIS ISN’T THE PLACE

NOT ANYMORE

THE BACKGROUND WORLD"

http://nin.com

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, it's difficult for me to take a white 52 year old millionaire who's married to a beautiful Asian musician and is an executive at Apple seriously with his angst.

At this point, it's difficult for me to take a white 52 year old millionaire who's married to a beautiful Asian musician and is an executive at Apple seriously with his angst.

Reznor/NIN has always written pop music. It hasn't even been angsty sine TDS, imo. It's just 80's-dance-pop-influenced rock/pop tunes that sometimes he distorts a lot and sometimes he still screams in. Hell, it's not even dark most of the time.

This track isn't half bad, but it seems hollow, like everything he's done in the past...15 years?

The last thing I thoroughly enjoyed from NIN was Ghosts I-IV. Out of every release post Fragile, Still, Year Zero, and Ghosts are really the only strong records I can think of off the top of my head. This track really reminds me of the worst parts of With Teeth; AKA everything that's not Beside You In Time and Right Where It Belongs

That Polybius game looks pretty cool

It's kind of interesting to me that he's been inspired by these kinds of games for so long. I think there was an interview where he was talking about playing Robotron for hours in the early days of NIN. Llamasoft is obviously inspired by these too, since that's his medium. There seems to be a kind of cool aesthetic thread there that KFW might be a part of too, with that EP he did with pinball machines triggering his modular.

Polybius was originally some kind of urban legend about an arcade game with evil magic power.

Umm yeah this sounds like a 3rd rate version of the more poppy stuff from With Teeth. Trent keeps claiming his next release is gonna be abstract or super brutal or crazy or unexpected, and they all just sound like The Hand That Feeds but with slightly different drums sounds and distortion presets. I hate to say it cuz i love nin and will always support regardless, and happy he is still releasing material regardless of the quality, but i mean this single is im sorry to say, but abysmal in my opinion. It's like a straight up template. Hesitation Marks was the same way. Not The Actual Events was at least a little experimental, definitely had more hopes for this. 

Listened to the Fragile again last night, nearly brought me to tears at many points. And waking up to this was just... something else. What a total mess

Exactly. The Fragile is masterpiece. I hate to say it seems as if he has been re-hashing bits of the progressions, cadences and structures of parts of The Fragile over and over on every release since. But uninspired re-hashings of certain hook melodies of some of the tracks on there but with this synthpop/rock/nu metal hybrid thing to the point where they sound like copies of copies of copies. It's weird cuz I know Trent is hugely musical and innovative, and don't understand why he keeps the same structure and vibe for everything now. agreed- with the exception of Ghosts. I feel like when he writes about society, it's drab but when he writes about himself, it's interesting and raw.    

Wow this is super sad. Its just the same drum patterns and rhythms and textures over and over again to diminishing returns.

Not even David Lynch's directing in Twin Peaks could make the material from the previous EP appear meaningful. 

IMO, the best thing he has done in the last 15 years is maybe The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo score?

"The "Cedocore" corporation, whose drug "Sotriviol" can be seen around the

mark and beyond - is the company that made Parepin in the Year Zero ARG."

New track

Great mix/production and pitch bending vocal/string/synth/whatever drones. Trent doing a Thom Yorke impression on the vox falls a little flat though when it is so far ahead in the mix when first introduced. Becomes less cringey as it gets drowned out by the other elements. Great overall!

Yeah, I was really loving the music on that new track.  Alot of feel in there, but I really feel like Trent could do with some singing lessons about now.  There's no shame in doing that at any age/stage of career.

if you go back and listen to his older stuff its not that good, i think we were fooled by our teenage brains, same with marilyn manson, the guy is a joke 

I love NIN and probably always will, but I will say it does seem Trent's slipping a bit creatively, I didn't mind Hesitation Marks, but Not The Actual Events although noisy was kinda forgettable IMO... and "Less Than" does sound a bit formulaic and the lyrics aren't that great. "This Isn't The Place" gets a nice atmosphere going, but I hate to say it Trent's vocals kinda throw it off a bit... Not his best vocal performance, and they're way too up front when they come in. I'd probably like it more as an instrumental.

So far I don't hate the new tracks, but they really grabbing me as much as I want them to, nor are they quite what I was expecting for a release titled "Add Violence"... I was expecting something a bit heavier and noisier. Still, the rest of the tracks remain to be heard and I'm still curious enough to check it out and reserve full judgement until hearing the full thing.

I've heard rumor that this is supposed to kinda go back the the Year Zero concept, so that would be kinda cool, but if so, it definitely needs to be noisier for the other tracks. We'll see... Also, The Fragile is a fucking masterpiece and he probably never will top that.

Archived