IGNORED

exm - Modulus (Touched Music)

Artist : EXM Title: Modulus

Label: Touched Music

Cat no: TM36 Format: CD/Digital

Style: IDM/Electronica

Release Date 21.July.17

Well well well, if it isn’t exm again. This prolific artist has a multitude of self-released EPs under his belt and returns once more for his fourth contribution to Touched with music of fantastic quality.

Each track piques your interest, every sound feels like it has a purpose and my are their lots of sounds. This release isn’t just generous in terms of style but at a shade under 90 minutes I don’t think anyone could complain that they weren’t being looked after.

The opening of ’Modulus’ is sinister. ’3i2’ puts you on edge and alerts you to the presence of the next nines track lined up, a piece that wouldn’t sound out of place in the most epic of science fiction. Even the first sound’s pacing is so perfect I could loop it and be satisfied.

But I don’t need to. Waiting for me is a barrage of noise all seemingly in its place and well thought out by the composer. Some of it is illusory - ’Wall’ has a pace that appears to increase whilst not actually doing so. If I didn’t have an anchor to the real world in the form of tapping feet I might certainly be lost.

As a midpoint, ’5’ is a masterpiece - it’s an earworm. Its melody cohesive, at 9 minutes in length it still doesn’t feel long enough. And it’s a turning point too, the second half of ‘Modulus’ feels takes a robotic tone, like you’re stuck in an automated factory but you don’t really care about getting out, satisfied with the rhythmic beat of machines you are faced with.

This is as good as any electronic music I’ve heard. It shows there are those out there who really care about their art, who want to push boundaries and challenge those who listen to it. I had previously compared exm to other great masters Autechre and their influence still shows however it feels more distant now. A place has been found by exm, he's carving out his niche and it's incredibly enjoyable.

‘Modulus’ is available as a limited run of CDs and as always a digital download (with bonus track ‘Meltt’) which is also provided to those who make a physical purchase from the Touched Bandcamp site. So show your support once more for Touched and get something great in return. Buy - https://touched.bandcamp.com/album/modulus

post-8588-0-48841300-1500133471_thumb.jpg

post-8588-0-23404100-1500133482_thumb.jpg

post-8588-0-74841400-1500133498_thumb.jpg

post-8588-0-68833000-1500133541_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norvum

Atypic, love the name, im a massive plaid black dog Man my self, yeah exm should be up there with some of the other names in IDM Electronica.

The show case starts in 50 mins from now :)

Thanks for your support

I've been super digging his stuff this week; basically bought everything he had for sale.  To me, he's the only one that comes close to what Autechre is doing.

Great showcase last night, will be buying come payday on Monday. I've only heard llmnt before and this seems so much more advanced. Looking forward to some repeat plays to get under it's skin

• 2 weeks later...

Really good album. As someone else maybe mentioned, it sounds inspired by Oversteps era Ae but without sounding like a copy. watmms should like

• 5 months later...

This whole album is a trip. Every time Edit comes on it fucks with my head, but really there's some amount of that with every track here.

And Meltt is the best track of 2017 imo.

• 2 months later...

I'll beat this dead horse forever, alone, it seems: this album is fucking good. Listening to 5 right now and not even halfway in, the little kick drum pattering about with the melody and pads growing, so fucking good. Constantly shifting and new rhythms and melodies showing themselves with every listen. Why this album/exm doesn't get more love here is beyond me.

I'll beat this dead horse forever, alone, it seems: this album is fucking good. Listening to 5 right now and not even halfway in, the little kick drum pattering about with the melody and pads growing, so fucking good. Constantly shifting and new rhythms and melodies showing themselves with every listen. Why this album/exm doesn't get more love here is beyond me.

http://kaer-uiks.com/portfolio/exm-mitoma-i-0-disc/