IGNORED

RIP George Romero

Rubin Farr

Roberto Bolano lovingly describes one of his films in 2666. Think its Return of the Living Dead. Bolano and Romero and the sound of a bottle of single malt just opened.

btw, since Land of the Dead there were like 2 or 3 movies after that? are they any good?

not at all, sadly.

True, stay far away from them, they're just sad. RIP.

Roberto Bolano lovingly describes one of his films in 2666. Think its Return of the Living Dead. Bolano and Romero and the sound of a bottle of single malt just opened.

Return of the Living Dead is a hilarious comedy, but it's not one of Romero's (i think he never did full-on comedy with zombies), it's by O'Bannon who also wrote the  Alien screenplay (and came up with the original story).

RIP.

wonder what he thought of the trash circus that is The Walking Dead.

http://www.slashfilm.com/george-a-romero-explains-why-he-wont-do-the-walking-dead/

However, the current craze has Romero reluctant to get too heavily involved.

Once they bleed out of pop culture I’ll be able to go back and do them again. I don’t want to touch them now. Gosh, they are all over the place. The Walking Dead is the number one television series in the States, World War Z, games, commercials… Ugh! It’s too much!

The filmmaker continued:

It feels like I don’t have a horse in the race. They asked me to do a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead but I didn’t want to be a part of it. Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism and I find that missing in what’s happening now.

To be fair, his last movie also moved zombies to background story.

Here's his list of all-time favourite movies from 2002 Sight & Sound poll with comments:

Not only was Romero an icon in his own right, like Roger Corman, he gave countless other directors and professionals their start in Hollywood. (Edgar Wright and Tom Savini among them)

Not only was Romero an icon in his own right, like Roger Corman, he gave countless other directors and professionals their start in Hollywood. (Edgar Wright and Tom Savini among them)

Here's a blog post Edgar Wright wrote about him

http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2017/07/17/remembering-george-romero/

Archived