IGNORED

Toro Y Moi "Boo Boo"

New lp came out a couple weeks ago

v600_cak121_toroymoi_booboo_900.jpg

http://store.carparkrecords.com/products/587128-cak121-toro-y-moi-boo-boo

Does anyone else actually like this guy? Other than the goofy ass title, i think it's a pretty good record. Actually a different sonic palette than past work (especially the previous What For?), sounds like he finally discovered fm synthesis lol. Lots of 80's sounds, like in You and I and the instrumental Embarcadero. I also can't shake the presence of BOC on Pavement? At any rate, it's worth some listening, even if it's still no Anything In Return

Also related: i'm pretty sure Chaz is the ultimate softboy

He's a talented guy, seen him live years back. Also did a good house/dance project called Le Sins which I also caught live (it was a DJ set). So he's been trying different styles / genres in a sincere manner while still sounding very much unique for a long time. Heard one single off this but not the whole album yet.

The single for this ain't bad but I listened to the first 6 or so tracks earlier after seeing his thread and my gosh is this a boring album. His other stuff is always fun and groovy with great melodies and mood but damn did this make me yawn. Not even gonna give the rest of the album a shot :(

indeed very talented and motivated regarding his output but he seems to be a be stuck in the 80´s.

thats my fav song and video of this guy.

First Toro y Moi track I've heard (other than that tune he did with The Avalanches). Not bad at all. Sounds a bit like Bibio without the lo-fi ness.

The single for this ain't bad but I listened to the first 6 or so tracks earlier after seeing his thread and my gosh is this a boring album. His other stuff is always fun and groovy with great melodies and mood but damn did this make me yawn. Not even gonna give the rest of the album a shot :(

I can agree, first couple listens felt airy. Apparently he was keeping the element of space in mind when composing, but sometimes it does get almost vapid, especially with the generally slow tempos. Even still, i found myself returning because some part of some song was stuck in my head

One thing i absolutely dislike is the autotuning...even as an aesthetic choice...

Archived