IGNORED

Do you live in an open carry state?

SCONES TO DIE FOR

Yes...and they are trying to deregulate it even more.

There was a push for "constitutional carry" which would anyone to not just carry unloaded rifles/long guns but also carry concealed handguns WITHOUT A LICENSE. That would have literally prevented law enforcement from asking that person if they had a permit. It was one the most absurd debates I've witnessed on the TX Senate. The Republican carrying the bill, this obnoxious elf-ish twat named Don Huffines, was literally just uttering prepared remarks or constantly waiting to get scripted responses from his staff.

They did manage to cut fees and the amount of training for a concealed handgun down from 6 to 3 hours. Because freedom and liberty and shit I guess. I really have no fucking clue how this stuff is taken seriously. It seems like ages ago when the NRA and other gun clubs were running PSAs about gun training and safety.

Don't see it often TBH though. Hell I've actually avoided for the most part beyond seeing the awkwardly snarky white 30-something douches mentioned earlier who showed up at the State Capitol for rallies.

Only time I've seen a rifle out in the open recently was in Alpine, TX - way the fuck out in West Texas, mounted in a holster on a jeep in front of a donut shop. The dude, who looked like a Neil Young and totally looked like a self-sufficient guy who lived out in the desert, didn't bring it inside. It wasn't locked either. That's actually what used to be pretty common - rednecks and shit kickers and ranchers have guns on hand in their trucks. I don't quite mind that. West Texas is the kind of landscape where it's actually warranted to carry a pistol to shoot snakes or other dangerous wildlife.

Never was really pro-conceal carry but these days I'll gladly support anyone who does that instead. You know, because it actually involves (as of now anyway) paperwork, background check, and training.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That libertarian & conservative talking point, "99% of people who are open carrying aren't looking to cause trouble" is technically true, but that doesn't mean that it should be legal to strap a semi-auto onto your back and bring it into Walmart. You're technically not hurting anyone when you drop your pants and take a shit in the road, either. I mean, the road is state property so that'd probably be encouraged in their constructionist utopia. There's literally no legitimate reason I can think of that waving your prick compensators around in public in the most influential nation on the planet should be considered okay in a "civilized" society besides "muh freedums". That must makes us look really great and FREE to the rest of the world. ​I am so embarrassed.

Thankfully most businesses (In Austin, Dallas, & San Antonio anyway) have strict rules against bringing any guns into their buildings, unless you're Walmart, of course.

1) No one is waving anything around in public. Brandishing a firearm is a one way ticket to jail.

2) I'm not all that conservative at all, I just don't pretend to live in a society without random brutality. If i lived in Europe, it's very likely this would not be something I do. But instead I live in a very unpredictable place. 

Waving not as in literally waving a gun around, waving as in metaphorically flopping your dick around in the grocery store. I was also referring to open carrying rifles, not concealing a pistol. I don't think there's anything wrong with conceal carry in a country as dangerous as the US, especially in some areas. Sorry for the misunderstanding

That libertarian & conservative talking point, "99% of people who are open carrying aren't looking to cause trouble" is technically true, but that doesn't mean that it should be legal to strap a semi-auto onto your back and bring it into Walmart. You're technically not hurting anyone when you drop your pants and take a shit in the road, either. I mean, the road is state property so that'd probably be encouraged in their constructionist utopia. There's literally no legitimate reason I can think of that waving your prick compensators around in public in the most influential nation on the planet should be considered okay in a "civilized" society besides "muh freedums". That must makes us look really great and FREE to the rest of the world. ​I am so embarrassed.

Thankfully most businesses (In Austin, Dallas, & San Antonio anyway) have strict rules against bringing any guns into their buildings, unless you're Walmart, of course.

There was constant push back for this aspect thankfully - if the state will allow open carry they cannot prevent businesses from prohibiting them. 

Although Florida is currently not an open carry state, bills get proposed to change that, as is currently so. But the Stand Your Ground law has caused the murder rate to increase significantly:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/murders-surge-florida-decade-stand-ground-law-151607506.html

Although Florida is currently not an open carry state, bills get proposed to change that, as is currently so. But the Stand Your Ground laws have caused the murder rate to increase significantly:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/murders-surge-florida-decade-stand-ground-law-151607506.html

Florida is an example of how inconsistent state laws can get, a woman got 20 years for firing warning shots  during a domestic altercation whereas others have killed people in self-defenses under the Stand Your Ground laws.

I think a lot of these things, the Trayvon Martin killing especially, just make me wonder how delusional in self-worth and disturbingly indifferent to live people are: the entire Trayvon Martin thing could of been avoided if that fucker, right or wrong, called the cops instead of confronting that kid. I get people having guns out of self-defense of themselves at home, but private property and petty trespassing laws aren't worth killing someone.

I feel it's somewhat of a paradox. While it's true that open carrying can lower the impact of certain tragedies (what if more clubgoers were packin that night at pulse last year?), it's also inherently dangerous because not everyone should be carrying a gun to use as they see fit (cough cough, george zimmerman). In the heat of the moment, a person can easily bypass sensibility and reach for their gun instead of logic, in which case everyone loses

Do most states do a full psychological history screening before administering licenses? Because they certainly shouldn't be granted as easily as they seem to be

open carry?? more like concealed carry-- hell yes. Indiana laws are completely silent on open carry, concealed carry and vehicle carry. it's a gun lovers paradise over here.

lots of people have guns and take them places and it's silly but you get used to it. when idiots were toting assault rifles to the fckin Fourth of July parade I got angery. So unnecessary on a day for family and when kids are supposed to be happy. Indiana to Illinois has the largest illegal (and legal) gun trafficking in the country. guys from south side drive to Gary and get the guns and then drive back because it's very hard to get a gun in Chicago. can you imagine?? Probably about 5 or 6 white piece of shit gun store owners in Indiana are responsible for the deaths of thousands of black people. it probably helps them sleep at night. Makes me sick

I feel it's somewhat of a paradox. While it's true that open carrying can lower the impact of certain tragedies (what if more clubgoers were packin that night at pulse last year?), it's also inherently dangerous because not everyone should be carrying a gun to use as they see fit (cough cough, george zimmerman). In the heat of the moment, a person can easily bypass sensibility and reach for their gun instead of logic, in which case everyone loses

Those instances are few and far between sadly. Most often if someone is able to intervene it's an off-duty officer or some other person who is qualified to have a gun. There was a university shooting in Oregon and there were literally people on campus with concealed weapons nearby who still did not have an opportunity to intervene. People claim this is a legitimate reason to loosen gun laws but it simply doesn't happen that often. It's hard for even personal combat trained people to try to tackle someone - that Ft. Hood shooting is an example of that failing as an oppurtunity as well.

Indiana to Illinois has the largest illegal (and legal) gun trafficking in the country. guys from south side drive to Gary and get the guns and then drive back because it's very hard to get a gun in Chicago. can you imagine?? Probably about 5 or 6 white piece of shit gun store owners in Indiana are responsible for the deaths of thousands of black people. it probably helps them sleep at night. Makes me sick

That isn't brought up enough by the media or gun regulators. It isn't acknowledged enough by pro-gun advocates. Gun rights folks who are anti-regulation, anti-fee, anti-license, etc. contribute to the illicit gun trade. I'll be honest and admit that black on black gun crime has made a mockery of Chicago's firearms restrictions but simply letting anyone carry won't solve it either. The same oft racist gun owners who tout the exploding murder rates in cities are contributing to the problem but not offering or conceding to real solutions which include clip limits, gun type restrictions, and more incentives to give up guns (Australia did this - cash for guns they then destroyed no questions asked), etc.

Open Carry or Not...What about gun safety laws, criminal negligence if your kid handles  a gun, vetting, storage management, training, handling, access,  qualifications etc?

Get those right  - then "open carry" all you want I say.  

The same oft racist gun owners who tout the exploding murder rates in cities are contributing to the problem but not offering or conceding to real solutions which include clip limits, gun type restrictions, and more incentives to give up guns (Australia did this - cash for guns they then destroyed no questions asked), etc.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but New York has a standing cash for guns/no questions asked policy, and Philly police hold buyback events a few times each year. 

When I worked in North Carolina for a few months, one of my coworkers always kept a gun in his car just in case something like the Bataclan shooting happened and he had to be an hero. He doesn't think he will get his head blown off right away.

• 1 month later...

in Britain an illicitly sourced handgun will set you back £350, with a magazine or whateverthefuck for an xtra £50 = kids with guns

Nottingham had an appalling gun period between 2000-2010, masses of shootings & the main reason i left, no where was safe....might not be Chicago but the levels of gun violence were staggering for Europe

in Britain you have to be far more concerned about the police kicking fuck out of you, which they adore dishing out if you cross some random arbitrary line, nevermind an actual arrest, or knives......people definitely like to stab folks across these isles

not so long ago in south Armagh in northern Ireland, guns were fuckin everywhere

JvDpcST.jpg

c038ed208365adb3af5885d02fba7392.jpg

Now answer me this: name me one reason you should be able to carry a gun. Go.

I need guns to make me feel like I have a penis

Without an AR15 or other semi-automatic rifle I certainly have no penis

Now answer me this: name me one reason you should be able to carry a gun. Go.

I need guns to make me feel like I have a penis

Without an AR15 or other semi-automatic rifle I certainly have no penis

Or a big ass jacked up truck.

When did mouthbreathing civilians start feeling so entitled? When white trash started shopping at walmart instead of hunting for their own food?

Even the USMC has it's priorities straight regarding penis/gun handling

Like it says, do you live in an open carry state?

Do you regularly see people walking around with handguns or assault rifles?

No and no.

I live in a pretty normal country.

Thank fuck.

Just wanted to quickly say, without blowing my own opinion from my own trumpet that I find the whole American obsession thing with guns fascinating. I don't say much on watmm but I quite keenly listen about the subject via talk radio (LBC) and other sources. Even reading comments on watmm from our American friends is interesting. 

Like it says, do you live in an open carry state?

Do you regularly see people walking around with handguns or assault rifles?

I do.

What are your experiences?

No i dont live in the usa

I find the whole situation frankly terrifying. Why anybody in the world should need a fully automatic assault rifle to "protect" themselves tells you everything you need to know about the 21st Century and where our society has headed to.

Unfortunately it has now got to the stage where I'm going off the idea of ever visiting America again.

Archived