IGNORED

Dunkirk

fumi

I thought it was very good and will now seriously judge every subjective statement of the people who said "nothing happens for 90 minutes" like... come on guys how shallow are you

about half as much as Nolan's movies

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is just nothing outside of the frame, it is a pure experience, that starts, endures and then finishes, epic of course, but with nothing to think about after it. 

you can think about how few women were in the movie, blacks, and i believe zero croats. that last hurts the most!!!

There is just nothing outside of the frame, it is a pure experience, that starts, endures and then finishes, epic of course, but with nothing to think about after it. 

well for example you could think about how the film was made, the directorial choices, the color correction, the editing, the sound, the music, the insane amounts of disgusting sea foam. This isn't a film about an interesting story or to leave you wondering if the stupid fucking top is going to fall (who cares) It's a film about film technique with the plot trimming of ra ra england dunkirk

I haven't seen it, but in general, when you need to praise an artist for how a thing was made rather than speaking about the merits of the thing itself, it's probably not very good.

I'm still interested. It's playing at a theater that's like 10 minutes from my house.

lots of movies about ww2 lately. i wonder if that means anything...

war propaganda.
I think some of it has to do with the fact that the generation that fought WW2 is at the cusp of completely being gone.

American Sniper was propaganda, or at least Hollywood appeasement. WW2 is almost an escapist topic at this point - something a bit easier to digest by injecting good vs. evil, actual direct combat heroics and exploits, and the war was so expansive there's plenty to mine from it plot wise. It was still the most brutal and godawful war in human history. There's nothing that isn't inherently disturbing and depressing in terms of warfare now that can be made into a film: the idea of a "soldier" of the past - an individual fighting for some ideal - is essentially dead. Hell even Top Gun was so distorted and exaggerated greatly from actual modern air combat (i.e. no dog-fighting, BVR missle use, etc.) in order to make it a Hollywood blockbuster and that was 30 years ago.

Dunkirk is the least glamorous Hollywood depiction of ww2 I can remember.
?

it's non-stop "do your part" with incredibly low stakes. the only thing that made it remotely tense was the senseless cross-cutting and constant winding up by zimmer. just came across as lone survivor for the high brow crowd.

fyi i'd consider myself a nolan fan generally but this did absolutely nothing for me.

Weird, I usually think his films are total overrated pish so I went in with low expectations

I haven't seen the film, but I have it on good word that roughly 40% of the combatants were transgender.

lol

to quote the Onion Atlas regarding the history of England, the good ole days "when girls were girls and boys were women, and when other nations didn't have boats"

so just saw the movie and a bit of a letdown for me, a huge problem for me was the missing climax or high point, the movie starts with a lot of tension, guy gets nearly killed, beach with no hope of salvation, bombings and so son but then you have a lot of different stories side by side and it goes on and on ....  so without a classic high point (best example might be Inception i was sweating and forgot to breathe at some point) you loose the tension and the curiosity fades away. At the end i was not surprised or relieved, it was just the end.

this thread appears to have completely backed up my view, which is that everyone thinks different things about stuff that exists. I might go and see it. 

interstellar in imax gave me a panic attack within 2 minutes because I went on a comedown and the bass swells sent me nuts. 

from the stuff people are saying about it looks like i will enjoy it quite a lot, i'm so bored of "scripts" and "stories" and "character developments" and "twists" lately. i just want shit to razzle-dazzle me audiovisually, and it seems like this one is just that.

from the stuff people are saying about it looks like i will enjoy it quite a lot, i'm so bored of "scripts" and "stories" and "character developments" and "twists" lately. i just want shit to razzle-dazzle me audiovisually, and it seems like this one is just that.

It's exactly that and I tip my hat to it.

It's kinda like a sombre Gravity... on a beach... without Clooney's wise-cracking comments. Stuff happens and it looks good.

Then you will be a happy eugene because it´s exactly what you will get from Dunkirk. (sadly i didnt know that before watching the movie and i think some people will be dissapointed by that)

Somehow a risky move by Nolan if you think about it.

well for example you could think about how the film was made, the directorial choices, the color correction, the editing, the sound, the music, the insane amounts of disgusting sea foam. This isn't a film about an interesting story or to leave you wondering if the stupid fucking top is going to fall (who cares) It's a film about film technique with the plot trimming of ra ra england dunkirk

so the film equivalent of Joe Satriani making really complicated shit sounding solos?

Joe Satriani? Wtf. Put it in IDM terms for us

lol

it's the film equivalent of a flahblub album. technically impressive but totally pointless

lol

it's the film equivalent of a flahblub album. technically impressive but totally pointless

A movie that shows the madness of a nearly failed massive evacuation during ww2 is pointless ?

lol

A movie that shows the madness of a nearly failed massive evacuation during ww2 is pointless ?

against ww2 movies with compelling stories and greater historical accuracy? yeah!

i'm not saying it isn't technically impressive but a good movie it is not

lol

So what does that make Richard Devine? Steve Vai?

Archived