IGNORED

Dunkirk

fumi

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it.... twas just so-so:

- not enough boats or people - you never got  a sense of how big the thing was. Ok I guess the soldiers or civis themselves didn't at the time but there should've been that weight of numbers in the film

- silly pilot "reveal" at the end. Whoopee-do its that fella from that crappy Kray film

- Kenneth Branagh - the go-to british fella in charge

- I'd watch Saving Ryans Privates annually because of the action/pace/characters/story. This felt like a tiny clip of that - quite by-passable really

Not enough boats? I'm quite sure the sea is quite big, the boats quite small and they probably didn't all arrive at the same time as by some miracle. Small private vessels travel at different speeds innit. Sure, it would have been more epic visually to have a great armada arrive all at once, Spielberg definitely would've gone that route,but this seems like a more realistic approach.

Sure ... i get the spacing of boats over the 10 day evacuation but.....we really didn't get  a sense of the size of it all....thats my main point. I don;t mean necessarily to add a massive armada Disney style.... just convey the massive nature of it

I thought this was bang average. I guess I can understand the praise for it but I didn't leave the cinema feeling much. Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of war films and I know that this is supposed to be somewhat of a stripped down film in terms of characterization but remove the characters and you're left with just tension set pieces. They're effective scenes I suppose, but when one finishes the film just moves onto the next set piece, then the next.. then it ends. A good cinema experience but a film I'll never watch again. 

In terms of Nolan's filmography it's right down there, for me.

1. Dark Knight

2. Prestige

3. Inception

4. Batman Begins

5. Interstellar

7. Dunkirk

6. Dark Knight Rises

Not seen Memento or Insomnia.

K. Here's my list ranked by my severely inadequate memory. I've only seen these once, all while they were new(ish).

:)

1.Memento

2.Interstellar

3.Dunkirk

:/

4.Insomnia

5.Dark Knight

6.Batman begins

:(

7.Prestige

8.Dark Knight rises

9.Inception

I guess the prestige is better than my rating but I was bored to tears, it was so fucking stilted and thrilled with it's own cleverness. Inception was even worse in that sense. Fuck that dumb James Bond goes Dreamscape piece of pompous action garbage.

He's a talented dude, so technically his films are all there, but the writing ehhhhh.... I guess that's why my favourites (barring Memento) are basically just music videos. Visuals and sound.

Sure ... i get the spacing of boats over the 10 day evacuation but.....we really didn't get  a sense of the size of it all....thats my main point. I don;t mean necessarily to add a massive armada Disney style.... just convey the massive nature of it

- not enough boats or people - you never got  a sense of how big the thing was. Ok I guess the soldiers or civis themselves didn't at the time but there should've been that weight of numbers in the film

- silly pilot "reveal" at the end. Whoopee-do its that fella from that crappy Kray film

- I'd watch Saving Ryans Privates annually because of the action/pace/characters/story. This felt like a tiny clip of that - quite by-passable really

The film is a microcosm of the events of Dunkirk. 

I guess the pay off to not using CGI in a Micheal Bay style, was the smaller scale of some scenes. But a lot of it was extremely accurate if you research DK or look at images & footage from Dunkirk.  (posted some below)

Glad there wasn't an overall weak storyline through out which ruins the film ie saving private ryan.  

That film just sentimentalises the war & warps the events which actually took place ending up being a ET'esqe story with guns. The similarities between both films are that the opening 20 mins or so were probably the strongest of each. 

The non-gory 'violence from a distant approach' of DK was so younger viewers could also watch it, arguably the most important audience to watch a war film. 

Dunkirk looks lush on 70mm & its extremely refreshing to see a film with less Hollywood'ised version of events of WWII, focusing on the European countries rather then purely from an American viewpoint such as films like Fury, that Tom Cruise one, that George Clooney one, or that Kevin Costner one where he is meant to be British but has an American accent & something to do with nazi loot & giving it back to the poor.  

There is a good interview with Nolan here about it  https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2017/jul/18/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-video-interview-harry-styles

It's not a perfect film, but it's an astonishing watch & piece of work  

29d750ac-3efd-11e7-b30a-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

34A1DC8300000578-3610394-image-a-81_1464

The%20French%20destroyer%20Bourrasque%20

220px-Dunkirk_1940_HU1145.jpg

274159d1323081882-dunkirk-destroyed-ship

W-Dunkirk-11-HTSep06.jpg

cbd92e15262ea9ce5fc7bf818f0401db--dunkir

large_000000.jpg

scene-during-the-battle-at-dunkirk-in-no

Dunkirk-Evacuation-02.jpg

nintchdbpict000328573312-e1496401583669.

article-1394968-0076337800000258-558_964dunkirk-evacuation-large-56a61bee5f9b58b

operation-dynamo-crown-copyright-hmso1.j

He-111-explodes.jpg

British_gunner_ship_dunkirk.png

Dunkirk-578885.jpg

dunkirk-burned-british-lorries.jpg

wgao6tbkw8jhadlgvurg.jpg

Dunkirk_1940_HU1137.jpg

Those snaps show a LOT more people than the film did btw. Look if you're gonna depict even a small part of the greatest evacuation ever, have a few more extras is all I'm saying and some sort of info on the amount of civilian ships involved - not just the handful we saw..

The action was great, i liked the stripped down story and the minimal dialogue, but lets not forget the silly young-civilian-lad-getting-killed side-line story. I like it being a microcosm... we essentially just get three points of view  in one afternoon - that's fine (although the night scene was confusing from a timeline perspective also)...but surely your young audience member came away with not much idea of how huge this thing was really

lol

still haven't seen it BUT:

out of curiosity, watched BLACK HAWK DOWN by brilliant director Ridley Sir Scott, and I can't believe how bad that was. So many hilariously terrible things, it's almost like they had a competition for how much heroism for idiots can be stuffed into a film and they didn't stop when they won all of the awards. This has to be a standout example of how to make yourself look like a 100% asshole as a director. Congs, Sir Ridly, congs. Dunno even...

edit: Watched it as a warmup, thought these films are somewhat related i.e. there's a military evacuation, both competent on technical level etc..

Finally watched it recently, years after reading the book and seeing a really good 2+ hr doc about it. The shitty thing about the movie is so much of it actually occurred but they nonetheless decided they needed to add more explosions, more mobs of Somalis with guns, and gratuitous slow motion scenes. It could of been a completely different but nonetheless compelling film with a lot of subtle changes. Like it or not a movie like Zero Dark Thirty portrays actual modern combat pretty well. Fuckload of planning and slow, cold, tactical assaults that are tense as fuck but pretty much devoid of heroic fast action. Jarhead might be the most honest representation of how many soldiers in the last few decades actually experience war.

non-fun fact about Black Hawk Down: one of main characters (McGregor's character) is completely made up because the actual person, SPC John Stebbins, was convicted of sexual assault of his daughter years after the battle and was dishonorably discharged. 

The film is a microcosm of the events of Dunkirk. 

I guess the pay off to not using CGI in a Micheal Bay style, was the smaller scale of some scenes. But a lot of it was extremely accurate if you research DK or look at images & footage from Dunkirk.  (posted some below)

Glad there wasn't an overall weak storyline through out which ruins the film ie saving private ryan.  

That film just sentimentalises the war & warps the events which actually took place ending up being a ET'esqe story with guns. The similarities between both films are that the opening 20 mins or so were probably the strongest of each. 

The non-gory 'violence from a distant approach' of DK was so younger viewers could also watch it, arguably the most important audience to watch a war film. 

Dunkirk looks lush on 70mm & its extremely refreshing to see a film with less Hollywood'ised version of events of WWII, focusing on the European countries rather then purely from an American viewpoint such as films like Fury, that Tom Cruise one, that George Clooney one, or that Kevin Costner one where he is meant to be British but has an American accent & something to do with nazi loot & giving it back to the poor.  

There is a good interview with Nolan here about it  https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2017/jul/18/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-video-interview-harry-styles

It's not a perfect film, but it's an astonishing watch & piece of work  

29d750ac-3efd-11e7-b30a-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

34A1DC8300000578-3610394-image-a-81_1464

The%20French%20destroyer%20Bourrasque%20

220px-Dunkirk_1940_HU1145.jpg

274159d1323081882-dunkirk-destroyed-ship

W-Dunkirk-11-HTSep06.jpg

cbd92e15262ea9ce5fc7bf818f0401db--dunkir

large_000000.jpg

scene-during-the-battle-at-dunkirk-in-no

Dunkirk-Evacuation-02.jpg

nintchdbpict000328573312-e1496401583669.

article-1394968-0076337800000258-558_964dunkirk-evacuation-large-56a61bee5f9b58b

operation-dynamo-crown-copyright-hmso1.j

He-111-explodes.jpg

British_gunner_ship_dunkirk.png

Dunkirk-578885.jpg

dunkirk-burned-british-lorries.jpg

wgao6tbkw8jhadlgvurg.jpg

Dunkirk_1940_HU1137.jpg

great post

Can i too?

1. Dark knight (no. 1 mostly cause of the jocker)

2. Interstellar (cmon! Spaaaaace!)

3. Memento (cant remember whatz being about but it must be good cause i have a tattoo of guy pearce on my ass)

4. Batman begins

5. Dark knight rises (do you feel in charge?)

6. Following (no one?!)

7. Inception (xxx version is also good)

8. Prestige (bowie plays tesla! Could it be any better than that?)

9. Insomnia (the original movie is much better)

Whatz dunkirk?

I saw a clip of Hacksaw Ridge in which nibbas get ambushed when a guy playing dead sits up and starts screaming into the camera, and that crossed it off my list.

I watched Dunkirk a few weeks back. thought it an impressive spectacle but a big nothing otherwise. deserves a re-watch to be sure, though.

There is just nothing outside of the frame, it is a pure experience, that starts, endures and then finishes, epic of course, but with nothing to think about after it. 

well for example you could think about how the film was made, the directorial choices, the color correction, the editing, the sound, the music, the insane amounts of disgusting sea foam. This isn't a film about an interesting story or to leave you wondering if the stupid fucking top is going to fall (who cares) It's a film about film technique with the plot trimming of ra ra england dunkirk

so the film equivalent of Joe Satriani making really complicated shit sounding solos?

fu span : )

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw it and loved it. The despondent haze of the soldiers was thick and presented the absurdity of the situation very well. I felt it was stylized similarly to Robert Bresson's "Un condamné à mort s'est échappé".

Archived