IGNORED

beatless vordhosbn

marian

Really brings into light how deceptively simple those Druqks drill tracks are constructed. When I first heard it in 2001 Vordhosbn sounded like it had been programmed by aliens from the far future but It's essentially a couple of piano/sine-like patches on a softsynth thats doing all the heavy lifting on the melodies, doing the work of a bass, lead and a pad with some clever timing and deft modulation work to suggest a lot more going on than there is.

This was interesting to watch. Right after drukQs came out I started getting into trackers, specifically ModPlug. I used to do very similar things - drawing funky volume envelopes, detuning very slightly to get pseudo reverb effects, etc. Really interesting to see, especially since this is a pretty old way of making tunes by software standards - this could have been done in like 1993, maybe earlier. This also reminds me how much modulation you can apply to each note in a tracker, and having a melody's notes spread across tracks really encourages taking advantage of this.

This was interesting to watch. Right after drukQs came out I started getting into trackers, specifically ModPlug. I used to do very similar things - drawing funky volume envelopes, detuning very slightly to get pseudo reverb effects, etc. Really interesting to see, especially since this is a pretty old way of making tunes by software standards - this could have been done in like 1993, maybe earlier. This also reminds me how much modulation you can apply to each note in a tracker, and having a melody's notes spread across tracks really encourages taking advantage of this.

yup! I'm pretty certain he's been using trackers since HAB/RDJ album.

Great video, but yeah I wish he'd shown the drum track, what a tease!

I wonder how many people are gonna download playerpro now :P

Really brings into light how deceptively simple those Druqks drill tracks are constructed. When I first heard it in 2001 Vordhosbn sounded like it had been programmed by aliens from the far future but It's essentially a couple of piano/sine-like patches on a softsynth thats doing all the heavy lifting on the melodies, doing the work of a bass, lead and a pad with some clever timing and deft modulation work to suggest a lot more going on than there is.

make drukqs 2 please

Oh noticed it was actually on the warp site

Wow amazing to see the actual thing

I remember years back when people guessed on forums how druqks was made and 'with a tracker' often came up and it turned out to be correct, but another thing people thought is that Richard slowed down the track as his was composing it, but that turned out to be not true from the noyzelab interview

Btw is it possible to get playerpro up and running on newer computers, I heard you need an old mac to get it going or something rather

Just get Renoise or Modplug/OpenMPT. Both of those could easily replicate PlayerPro's functions (except maybe the notation view I saw in a few screenshots, but that's not the point of a tracker).

Oh noticed it was actually on the warp site

Wow amazing to see the actual thing

I remember years back when people guessed on forums how druqks was made and 'with a tracker' often came up and it turned out to be correct, but another thing people thought is that Richard slowed down the track as his was composing it, but that turned out to be not true from the noyzelab interview

Btw is it possible to get playerpro up and running on newer computers, I heard you need an old mac to get it going or something rather

Mac OS 9 is the newest thing that runs it. I've gotten it working on OS X running classic. But it doesn't run super smoothly. I disagree with renoise or mod plug being just as good (maybe in ways of course)

The effects in pp are really cool. And being able to lay out everything to taste and have save states is amazing. Piano roll in a tracker is nice and commonly asked for.

Just get Renoise or Modplug/OpenMPT. Both of those could easily replicate PlayerPro's functions (except maybe the notation view I saw in a few screenshots, but that's not the point of a tracker).

This, don't be a damn purist. Any mature tracker will get the job done.

Renoise also has a dope sample editor. It's pretty much the only one I actually enjoy using. It's seriously worth learning. And it syncs better to hardware sequencers than any other software I've used.

It isn't about that!

It's more to like test drive an old school daw and to check out the sounds , features , you may even gel with it really well, not to mention get to check what one of the best albums ever made was made with

It's more to like test drive an old school daw and to check out the sounds

Trackers don't have 'sounds' - they just playback samples.... My compositions in '98 using Fast Tracker II will sound exactly the same if I play them through a July 2017 build of Open ModPlug Tracker)

You're not going to sound any more like AFX just because you're using the same software as him.

Trackers don't have 'sounds' - they just playback samples.... My compositions in '98 using Fast Tracker II will sound exactly the same if I play them through a July 2017 build of Open ModPlug Tracker)You're not going to sound any more like AFX just because you're using the same software as him.

It probably handles audio it's own way since it must have an audio engine of its own which may give things 'sounds' through processing/effects etc

Trackers don't have 'sounds' - they just playback samples.... My compositions in '98 using Fast Tracker II will sound exactly the same if I play them through a July 2017 build of Open ModPlug Tracker)You're not going to sound any more like AFX just because you're using the same software as him.

It probably handles audio it's own way since it must have an audio engine of its own which may give things 'sounds' through processing/effects etc

True, every DAW has a slightly different processing of audio - the bigger you go, more pure it is (there probably isn't much difference between Logic and Pro-Tools for example). But just listen to the different processing of Ableton and Reason exports (you could argue they function in a pretty similar manner). Not to mention that every little quirk of a program makes the making of a song totally different experience in different DAWs. You approach differently, you make different decision based on what's easy and what not easy to make in a certain DAW, that's just being human. So I can understand why would someone want to try PlayerPro.

OK well whatever unique magic pixie dust is that constitutes 3% of the PlayerPro experience, you're still going to get the other 97% of that experience using another tracker. Seriously the magic here is what I mentioned in my first post in this thread - you take some random WAVs, extract cool tones from them, loop them, make some cool volume/panning/filter envelopes, plonk down some notes to make a melody, and throw vibratos, pitch slide, etc. commands wherever it feels good. That's really all that's going on in that video, seriously. And again you can do all that it any tracker worth its salt. It is a cool way of working, especially if you haven't tried it ever/for a long time.

True, every DAW has a slightly different processing of audio - the bigger you go, more pure it is (there probably isn't much difference between Logic and Pro-Tools for example). But just listen to the different processing of Ableton and Reason exports (you could argue they function in a pretty similar manner). Not to mention that every little quirk of a program makes the making of a song totally different experience in different DAWs. You approach differently, you make different decision based on what's easy and what not easy to make in a certain DAW, that's just being human. So I can understand why would someone want to try PlayerPro.

Let's not go down the sound of a DAW hole again ;) But definitely agreed on the workflow - Even trackers of the same era I could happily use one and struggled to use another (I'd use FastTracker, my band mate Impulse Tracker where we both struggled to fully grasp the other's respective tracker). It's actually the reason I finally moved from trackers to Ableton about 4 years back, not at all due to the sound quality but was creatively stuck in a rut and wanted to approach things from a different direction after all the years...

It's actually the reason I finally moved from trackers to Ableton about 4 years back, not at all due to the sound quality but was creatively stuck in a rut and wanted to approach things from a different direction after all the years...

I think this is the real key here... it's important to be able to switch things up and have some variety. It seems that for most people that means having a few tools that each provide a different way of working, and for some very special people that means figuring out all the ways they can express themselves with just one thing - virtuosity.

Another small shout from team renoise .. woot!

Was cool seeing how he handled chords via tracks. I don't know why but I've never approached patterns like that. In buzz and renoise I'd construct chords in thier own track per instrument. This is obviously easier to see. 

Humbled.

Archived