IGNORED

Hans Zimmer - Dunkirk

fumi

Yeah, I know It's not IDM or EDM but this is needs to be listened to if you get a chance. Really powerful stuff and totally not what I expected - you'd never know it was scored for a war film.

It's on iTunes and Spotify, I guess.

The day after my friend and I had watched Dunkirk my friend sent me a text that included a recording of the clock on his toaster. He wrote, "my toaster or a Nolan movie?". I downloaded the recording and turned it into a shitty Zimmer track

Since the interstellar soundtrack i have huge respect for this guy but going to watch the movie first .

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Hans Zimmer but his score for Interstellar was like some glorious homage to Phillip Glass's Koyaanisqatsi.

Dunkirk is a really memorable, haunting score.

The score carried the movie. Great job as always by Hans Zimmer.

What did you think of the film? I enjoyed it but I think it's easy to get caught up in the gushing reviews and hype. It was good but not that good.

The score carried the movie. Great job as always by Hans Zimmer.

What did you think of the film? I enjoyed it but I think it's easy to get caught up in the gushing reviews and hype. It was good but not that good.

It was good, the music and sound design are outstanding. Without those things, I wouldn't think much of it

his score for The Thin Red Line is pretty great. it's some dark minimalism. 

i can't recall the score for interstellar... don't know if i'll see dunkirk. kinda full up on war films 

The day after my friend and I had watched Dunkirk my friend sent me a text that included a recording of the clock on his toaster. He wrote, "my toaster or a Nolan movie?". I downloaded the recording and turned it into a shitty Zimmer track

Great job !

pretty accurate zimmer spoof squee, love the climax.

zimmer has some great cuts over the years (inception, dark knight) but damn if he isn't repetitive​, his soundtracks seem interchangeable, doesn't matter it's a WWII movie, a modern superhero movie or a nixon-frost historical drama, you get the same filtered bass pulses and clicks and some chords every once in a while. sherlock holmes is the only recent movie I know he at least tried to adapt a little to the movie's story universe, well the simpsons movie too of course.

I think it's a bit cheating to have a whole movie scored with sub-basses, screeching violin and clock noises speeding up, like non-stop, it flattens the effect. I miss old movies where the composer is the heart or emotion of the film (however cheesy), not some constant aural torturer/panic inducer. perhaps more a problem with the director that doesn't have confidence in his story. silence is underrated in films.

zimmer has some great cuts over the years (inception, dark knight) but damn if he isn't repetitive​, his soundtracks seem interchangeable, doesn't matter it's a WWII movie, a modern superhero movie or a nixon-frost historical drama, you get the same filtered bass pulses and clicks and some chords every once in a while. sherlock holmes is the only recent movie I know he at least tried to adapt a little to the movie's story universe, well the simpsons movie too of course.

I think it's a bit cheating to have a whole movie scored with sub-basses, screeching violin and clock noises speeding up, like non-stop, it flattens the effect. I miss old movies where the composer is the heart or emotion of the film (however cheesy), not some constant aural torturer/panic inducer. perhaps more a problem with the director that doesn't have confidence in his story. silence is underrated in films.

I've liked a couple of Zimmer's scores - particularly Interstellar but as a film composer, I think he is massively overrated when yo start comparing his work to other film composers of the past - Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Maurice Jarre, Alan Silvestri, Basil Poledouris and John Barry to name just a few.

He's one i've my favorites when I hear it in the Imax, pounding like John Williams, you know it's him, but he's no Pino Donaggio

Good call. I forgot to mention him. Dressed To Kill. Carrie. Don't Look Now. So good.

Great job !

It wasn't really though was it? It was woeful, try hard ooksy kooksy, aw shucks, is that my toaster goin off there, wait till I type this down for my electronic music fans, aw shucks, got a great burger in minesotta lined up. 

He was too self conscious in the production, don't tell him what he needs to hear. He's far too comfortable. 

He's one i've my favorites when I hear it in the Imax, pounding like John Williams, you know it's him, but he's no Pino Donaggio

Good call. I forgot to mention him. Dressed To Kill. Carrie. Don't Look Now. So good.

Ha yeah, been listening to his interview on the Raising Cain disc and he has a really simple way of getting the tracks down with dePalma, similar to what Lynch does with the Bad Man, sitting down at a piano 

Since the interstellar soundtrack i have huge respect for this guy but going to watch the movie first .

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Hans Zimmer but his score for Interstellar was like some glorious homage to Phillip Glass's Koyaanisqatsi.

Dunkirk is a really memorable, haunting score.

at times more to murcof's cosmos but to say it was an homage is a huge euphemism imo

I've liked a couple of Zimmer's scores - particularly Interstellar but as a film composer, I think he is massively overrated when yo start comparing his work to other film composers of the past - Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Maurice Jarre, Alan Silvestri, Basil Poledouris and John Barry to name just a few.

bernard herrmann

Archived