IGNORED

Having problems running my Sub37 through El Capistan

Auditor

Recently bought an El Cap off Reverb.com. Seller was great and it came in original box and claimed to be in mint condition, so I'm really hoping this is a user error and not a bad pedal. Anyway, I haven't been able to get equal volume out of both channels no matter what I do. I unhooked everything in the chain, so it's just the Sub37>El Cap>audio interface. 

I'm going mono into the El Cap (I have it on the mono setting. I tried stereo earlier because the Sub37 was running through an SP-404, but that set up didn't seem to work either). El Cap stereo out to inputs 1&2 on my audio interface. Went into Ableton and hard panned both channels. When the El Cap is bypassed or the mix knob is turned all the way down, I get an even signal. Same volume on left and right. However, when I turn up the mix knob to add some of El Cap's sweet creamy goodness, the left channel is about 2-to-3 db louder than the right. 

I tried numerous cables, plugged in everything in every which way, and can't figure it out. It seems like the left output of the El Cap is giving out a higher signal than the right. 

I could just run mono out...but I payed for the damn thing so I want to indulge in it's stereo magic. 

Any ideas about what the problem could be?

Edit* I also noticed that I have to keep my Moog turned down to around 9 o'clock or else distortion. Anyone who owns one of these Strymons have similar issues?

Far as I know, el cap is a mono effect. Stereo is just there to preserve stereo back in the chain. I don't think it actually creates a stereo effect.

Not that that solves your problem.

I did read that in another forum. Yeah, your right, it doesn't make up for the fact that I'm getting a lower signal out of the right output. Thanks for the response though!

Guest Chesney

This does not sound right. the cynic in me instantly thinks the dude got rid of it because it was faulty and will swear it worked fine when they used it.

To get you sorted for now you could use a splitter cable and run back to mono channel in ableton, seeing as you're only affecting the mono of the sub37.

It obviously does not solve all instances though.

Mention it to the seller, plead dumb a little.

I have an el cap and it definitely has some kind of psychoacoustic stereo effect going on in the wet signal. 

both left and right are the same volume.

if that helps

I have an el cap and it definitely has some kind of psychoacoustic stereo effect going on in the wet signal. 

both left and right are the same volume.

if that helps

Interesting. I managed to get them soooorta even by splitting my mono signal into stereo in. Still, not ideal. The left is still a bit louder. Do you use stereo out or just stick with mono? Does the wonky stereo bother you?

Archived