IGNORED

RA: Label of the Month: Dream Catalogue

Extralife

Great article! Interesting that I've described what DC and associated labels/scene do these days as "post-vaporwave" too.

It makes sense to do so, vaporwave was already about a year past its peak when Dream Catalog started.

Great article! Interesting that I've described what DC and associated labels/scene do these days as "post-vaporwave" too.

It makes sense to do so, vaporwave was already about a year past its peak when Dream Catalog started.

I wish "second wave" vaporwave was a term. Post-vaporwave works too but as years go by there really does seem to be a turning point where DC shifted the scene and put a bookend to early vaporwave that had more to do with the not just the music diversitfying but people key to the original scene leaving or moving on before another generation came in. Using the term "generation" seems absurd for a genre less than 10 years old but that's really how fast and furious it's evolution has been.

This is a really good primer of the label and overview of Russo's work. Not only has DC been the label to garner the most success, it's been one of the most (if not the most) consistent quality wise.

I wish "second wave" vaporwave was a term. Post-vaporwave works too but as years go by there really does seem to be a turning point where DC shifted the scene and put a bookend to early vaporwave that had more to do with the not just the music diversitfying but people key to the original scene leaving or moving on before another generation came in. Using the term "generation" seems absurd for a genre less than 10 years old but that's really how fast and furious it's evolution has been.

This is a really good primer of the label and overview of Russo's work. Not only has DC been the label to garner the most success, it's been one of the most (if not the most) consistent quality wise.

Just out of curiosity (and because I'm fairly new to Dream Catalogue) what other labels would you put up there as comparable? 

One of my biggest regrets in life is not buying Birth of a New Day on vinyl when I had the chance. Could kick myself forever for that.

I'm pretty sure DC mentioned they are planning a repress of that album. Supposedly coming this year...

Just out of curiosity (and because I'm fairly new to Dream Catalogue) what other labels would you put up there as comparable? 

I like Business Casual quite a bit re: other vw labels

^ this covers most vaporwave labels of note. some of the big ones are no longer around, some of the labels on there that are really good (even better than DC arguably) like Orange Milk or Beer On The Rug aren't vaporwave labels but instead labels that put out vw along with other stuff. As great as many of these are I don't think any have come close to the acclaim and attention DC has garnered.

In terms of the post-vaporwave (or 'vapour' as most of the people involved seem to call it), these represent the broad scene beyond DC

BLCR

Bludhoney

No Problema

Cyber Dream

Plus 100

Sea of Clouds

Aurawire

Tekres

Kudatah

any release with interesting beats? i like beats, those mostly seems to be on ambient side.

Plenty of beaty stuff:

Lilith - Hazard Garden

DJ Alina - Maniax

Diamondstein - The Ridges

Jade Statues - Executive Towers

Subaeris - Cycle

Computer Graphics - Lo-fi

Yoshimi - Tokyo Restricted Area

Cocainejesus - We're Worried About You

A couple from DC's sister-label, the digital-only Pyramids (definitely worth a look overall as it tends to focus on rawer, more rhythmic stuff than DC):

Flash Kostavich - Mechanical Demonizer

Raj Kapoor - Hard Desi is the Future

And some of HKE's non-DC albums:

Sandtimer - In Search of the Chessmaster

HKE - Omnia

HKE - Heel Aesthetic

The scene is definitely mostly known for its dreamy, more ambient work, but there's lots of great IDM and techno stuff in there.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not buying Birth of a New Day on vinyl when I had the chance. Could kick myself forever for that.

Repress is coming.

In terms of the post-vaporwave (or 'vapour' as most of the people involved seem to call it), these represent the broad scene beyond DC

BLCR

Bludhoney

No Problema

Cyber Dream

Plus 100

Sea of Clouds

Aurawire

Tekres

Kudatah

any release with interesting beats? i like beats, those mostly seems to be on ambient side.

Plenty of beaty stuff:

Lilith - Hazard Garden

DJ Alina - Maniax

Diamondstein - The Ridges

Jade Statues - Executive Towers

Subaeris - Cycle

Computer Graphics - Lo-fi

Yoshimi - Tokyo Restricted Area

Cocainejesus - We're Worried About You

A couple from DC's sister-label, the digital-only Pyramids (definitely worth a look overall as it tends to focus on rawer, more rhythmic stuff than DC):

Flash Kostavich - Mechanical Demonizer

Raj Kapoor - Hard Desi is the Future

And some of HKE's non-DC albums:

Sandtimer - In Search of the Chessmaster

HKE - Omnia

HKE - Heel Aesthetic

The scene is definitely mostly known for its dreamy, more ambient work, but there's lots of great IDM and techno stuff in there.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not buying Birth of a New Day on vinyl when I had the chance. Could kick myself forever for that.

Repress is coming.

Thanks a lot. Great post.

I'm staring to see this scene as more than just derivative post-FSOL. Really digging HKE and Telepathe especially.

^ iirc there were some citing Orbital as influences - IIRC OSCOB cited them as an influence

I think a few producers and fans are in the know of older electronic music but I couldn't help notice a year or two ago just how much reinventing the wheel a lot of post-vaporwave sounded - I don't mean that as a diss either 

Myself and Nmesh are slowly converting everyone to FSOL, but it's really hard. Unless a band's being hyped or heavily namedropped at the minute, most people don't seem to care. Despite the fact that they're heavily sample-based cyberpunk-influenced sci-fi electronica with artwork filled with east-Asian people and text.

But yeah, a lot of the scene seems to think Aphex, Autechre and The Prodigy sums up '90s electronica, which is a shame. 

Unless a band's being hyped or heavily namedropped at the minute, most people don't seem to care. Despite the fact that they're heavily sample-based cyberpunk-influenced sci-fi electronica with artwork filled with east-Asian people and text.

That's an endearing aspect of it. 

Have you asked Brian and Gaz what they think about the vaporwave scene? I'd be curious since there is so much overlap in their aesthetics.

I'll mention it to Brian next time I speak to him. They've worked with Nmesh (he remixed some Amorphous stuff and there's a Humanoid remix on his new album), I wonder how much else they've heard.

Pointless trivia of the day: she went on to play for the Arsenal women's under-21 football team.

She plays in America these days

hqdefault.jpg

lots of useful links in this thread! thnx guys!

p.s. i wonder how all of those producers release for all of those records... i mean, who finds who? 

Archived