5. "aka 47" 4:16
6. "20 Size" 4:44
7. "1000 Foot Face" 4:31
8. "Don't Believe the Fife" 6:24
9. "Battered at a Scramble" 4:03
10. "Old Poisons" 4:30
11. "Every Country's Sun" 5:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZocDT3TmAE

out 1 Sep 2017. produced by Dave Fridmann who worked with the band for Rock Action 15 years prior.

I still love this band, and I probably always will because they connect with me emotionally. musically, I do miss John Cummings' input though.

Hmm... Mogwai's kinda lost my interest in recent years but... if they're going back to older Rock Action era sounds, and thier early stuff I might have to check this one out

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone has heard the leak for this (which I will not post here of course) but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  The last few songs especially are great, and I never get tired of Coolverine.  They are one of the bands that has never really disappointed me personally and I enjoy all of their albums.  

Orderd the boxset a while ago and looking forward to that arriving in September.

• 3 weeks later...

it's probably their first album since "the hawk is howling" that i feel like (and i am) returning to. it's not too interesting or adventurous composition wise, it's mostly very even and plain and predictable, but it does invoke their staple atmospheric melancholy. the production though is very good and makes it more engaging than it would be if some goy produced it. everything sounds distorted and clipping and fuzzy as fuck, it took me aback at first but quickly enough you notice that there was a lot of care and subtlety involved. it really works well here. and then there are two really meaty and energetic heavy rockers that shake things up towards the end. nice.

Not unlike most of their records it took a few listens for me to really get in to this record as a whole. Initially the heavy tracks at the end, "Old Poisons" especially, stood out as clear highlights. The more i listen the songs i was passive about bloom before me. I'm really excited that i get to see them live this winter, this will be my 8th or 9th time seeing them going back 2003 when they were touring "Happy songs for Happy people". They have blown me away every single time. I stand right in the middle, close my eyes and get carried away by the force of their music.

this is better than Rave Tapes and Hardcore. agree about the production subtlety, it also manages to balance that with being more immediately pleasing in the melody/noise department.

Battered at a Scramble is fucking awesome. This album is much better than recent releases. Reminds me of the Happy Songs/Mr.Beast era. CODY is still their masterpiece.

listened to this from beginning to end yesterday morning and loved almost every minute of it, not really keen of end of year lists but this will sit easy in the highest echelons of my favourites

Party in the Dark is great! And definitely sounds superior over speakers than headphones (in my humble opinion) and anyway and with all due respect, as rule of thumb never trust (most) watmmer opinion on tracks with vocals on  :wink:  :happy:

Archived