IGNORED

Björk - Utopia

cear

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re: vespertine and homogenic. i think i discovered pitchfork around the same time vespertine came out, and it was fun browsing reviews for albums i loved to see what that major tastemaker's stance was. but when i saw their rating for those two i remember that i realized clearly that they are full of shit.

re: the new track - arca needs to fuck off asap.

i just read ryan schreibers review of vespertine. wow. i think this man has mental issues. it is incredibly painful to read his writing. i know it's not interesting to say "wow pitchfork is very bad" but I am always shocked at how poor the quality of the writing is, let alone the actual opinions and analysis of the music, which is without fail completely incorrect.

"Hidden Place" opens Vespertine with a glitchy, almost lo-fi melodic loop, paired with the deep sub-bass attack that has dominated the low-end of Björk's music in recent years.

ryan%2Bschreiber%2Bhair.jpg

Yeah, they've probably read up on what they're reviewing and what the general consensus is for the reissues.

Reissue reviews usually seem to be written by people who are huge fans of the original releases too, which allows them to be both gushing and critical, which is kind of what you need. Most new release reviews read like "I'm not quite sure what to say about this so here are some words that vaguely relate to the album".

re: vespertine and homogenic. i think i discovered pitchfork around the same time vespertine came out, and it was fun browsing reviews for albums i loved to see what that major tastemaker's stance was. but when i saw their rating for those two i remember that i realized clearly that they are full of shit.

re: the new track - arca needs to fuck off asap.

i just read ryan schreibers review of vespertine. wow. i think this man has mental issues. it is incredibly painful to read his writing. i know it's not interesting to say "wow pitchfork is very bad" but I am always shocked at how poor the quality of the writing is, let alone the actual opinions and analysis of the music, which is without fail completely incorrect.

"Hidden Place" opens Vespertine with a glitchy, almost lo-fi melodic loop, paired with the deep sub-bass attack that has dominated the low-end of Björk's music in recent years.

ryan%2Bschreiber%2Bhair.jpg

There are so many shitty early pfork reviews - part of their charm TBH -  they'd deleted many along with high ratings for albums that haven't aged well - they were really into lesser known big beat for example

Schreiber's stuff is quite infamous

There are so many shitty early pfork reviews - part of their charm TBH -  they'd deleted many along with high ratings for albums that haven't aged well - they were really into lesser known big beat for example

Schreiber's stuff is quite infamous

Don't forget good ol' Brent DiCrescenzo

Schreiber's stuff is quite infamous

Don't forget good ol' Brent DiCrescenzo

I love that, at the bottom of that 2.0/10 garbled nonsense of a review of The Fragile, the first linked review is for an 8.7/10 review of the same album, reissued.

The only Pitchfork reviews worth reading are of reissues, because they're usually really well informed and add a lot of context to the period of the original album. Their reviews of new albums are usually terrible.

Her new vid's stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=409&v=_n0Ps1KWVU0

As for the song, I'm not a fan of the vocal melody, but everything about the backing arrangement is great.  I think I'd prefer an instrumental version (even though she is one of my favorite all time singers...).

• 1 month later...

Archived