IGNORED

The Flashbulb - Piety of Ashes

sherkaner

New one announced to be released 1 September. Preview track sounds proper.

https://theflashbulb.bandcamp.com/album/piety-of-ashes

Description:

The Flashbulb returns with his most ambitious release to date, spanning 3 years and a move across country. The tools include robotic rhythm machines, personally developed hardware and software synthesis, months of field recording, and dozens of orchestral and choir performers seemingly blended Jordan's signature production ethic.

can i get it on vinyl ;)

http://www.bennjordan.com/blog/?p=697

Sounds like advert music.

i think it's probably tough for some producers to step out of that style once they get into it.. just from a purely production standpoint of how things are mixed and processed. trendy fx usage

Edited by ignatius

can i get it on vinyl ;)

http://www.bennjordan.com/blog/?p=697

lol

"do as i say not as i do".. get's in mid sized SUV.. speeds away. 

i get it.. people try to reduce their footprint by doing a thing... but we're in climate controlled rooms surrounded by plastics and electronics that are made w/components full of heavy metals.  people w/home studios more so than the average person... 

Dang, y'all salty about Benn.

indifferent really. i wish him the best. he's got plenty of fans so i wouldn't worry. 

I've never been rude about him unlike many watmmrs, i'm just not interested in his music. And this one is particularly pointless, especially in light of the nonsense that's in the blurb about it you'd think benn had walked on water through the great flood to bring us these ones and zeros on marble tablets. This hubris deserves countermanding.

Dang, y'all salty about Benn.

indifferent really. i wish him the best. he's got plenty of fans so i wouldn't worry. 

I've never been rude about him unlike many watmmrs, i'm just not interested in his music. And this one is particularly pointless, especially in light of the nonsense that's in the blurb about it you'd think benn had walked on water through the great flood to bring us these ones and zeros on marble tablets. This hubris deserves countermanding.

it's not unexpected.  the blurb. i mean. he does blurbs at various ends of the blurb spectrum.  his blog is easy pickings for blurb material. after the "no more vinyl" blog entry i remembered the one he did several years ago about piracy or not getting paid by labels or something like that.. i can't recall.. but that was the last time i paid attention until this vinyl blog was bounced around on twitter.  writing promotional material is a pretty mundane tedious task though. 

he shares his thoughts for better or worse. internet is always there ready to receive thoughts. 

just want to go on record for the millionth time that having music autoplay on a website is a bad idea and annoying as fuck. it's 2017.. turn off that shit. 

My puzzling placement on festival flyers.

Before I get into this, I want to make one thing clear. I personally don’t care about flyer placement. I get paid the same either way.

In fact, not being the bold, stylized, giant font on top of a flyer means that if I fall ill or have an emergency, I won’t feel as bad for missing a gig. So it’s less pressure, and I’m all about that. I also live in the woods for a reason, I’m comfy maintaining a low real-life profile.

But it’s puzzled me for years. Seemingly 4 out of 5 festivals I get booked for, I tend to be buried deep somewhere in the middle of the flyer. I’m not talking about Coachella here, but rather smaller, regional, genre-oriented festivals that don’t have household-name headliners. At least from what I gather on social media messages and comments, it outrages some of my fans who think I deserve the giant font. (BTW, thanks for caring, but I really don’t mind!) But still, it’s incredibly confusing how these flyer-rankings get designed. These flyers are getting promoted all across the internet and printed by the thousands, and a mistake in the visibility of certain names can actually offer diminished returns if severe enough. After all, let’s be honest, a festival is buying the right to use the artist’s names to sell tickets. That’s how the economy of festival booking works, and that’s how I know how much to ask for monetarily.

The reason I’m thinking about this today is because 3 people have already shared the Infrasound 2017 poster with me, and 2 of them had a follow-up message of “lol I didn’t even see you until the 2nd time I saw it”. In all transparency, I only know of 2 of the other artists playing (ediT and Tipper), and it’s only because I’ve met them personally when performing with them previously. Both are nice fellows and incredible artists in their own right, and I want to emphasize that this post is purely about odd festival marketing and not about criticizing artists or claiming some sort of pecking-order. I’m sure inspirational performances can be found from top to bottom of this poster.

I wanted to find out if my suspicions had any basis behind them, and was kind of shocked by the results. I feel like the best approachable way to gauge an artist’s “name value” is by how many active listeners they have on Spotify in the current month. Last.FM is also good, but I feel like it’s getting a bit outdated as I haven’t heard anyone talk about “scrobbling” in years.

So here’s the poster: LINK

Now, for the Spotify metrics.

Active Spotify Listeners for April (individual users):

Tipper: 72, 954

Edit: 40,026

Caspa: 72,536

Opiuo: 86,640

C?NJ?: No data (Triangles don’t work too well to figure out what letters those are supposed to be.)

White Night: 364

Moody Good: 25,636

Thriftworks: 34,591

Ivy Lab: 66,255

Bazoo Bajou: (personal playlist page, 87 subscribers)

Truth: 18,485

Loefah: 7,356

Etheogenic: 21,375

The Flashbulb: 89,996

N-Type: 577

Boogie T: 7,471

Shiverz: 172

Now, you can probably see why this is puzzling to me. I do know that Tipper is very popular in the festival scene, and is probably the right choice for the most visible listing. But the rest of it? A statistical mess. It has no effect on me or my ego personally, but it does inspire me to at least share this with festival promoters. After all, they’re a paying to have my name on the flyer, and the most effective way of utilizing that investment is maximizing how many tickets those 2 words can sell.

Then again, maybe my wannabe-economist brain may be deeply over-analyzing a scene I’m only familiar with from short visits behind the stage. Perhaps I should put on some LED jewelry and a dreadlock wig and enjoy myself instead of taking Khan Academy courses in my hotel.

HAHAHAHA

Before I get into this, I want to make one thing clear. I personally don’t care about flyer placement. I get paid the same either way.

In fact, not being the bold, stylized, giant font on top of a flyer means that if I fall ill or have an emergency, I won’t feel as bad for missing a gig. So it’s less pressure, and I’m all about that. I also live in the woods for a reason, I’m comfy maintaining a low real-life profile.

But it’s puzzled me for years. Seemingly 4 out of 5 festivals I get booked for, I tend to be buried deep somewhere in the middle of the flyer. I’m not talking about Coachella here, but rather smaller, regional, genre-oriented festivals that don’t have household-name headliners. At least from what I gather on social media messages and comments, it outrages some of my fans who think I deserve the giant font. (BTW, thanks for caring, but I really don’t mind!) But still, it’s incredibly confusing how these flyer-rankings get designed. These flyers are getting promoted all across the internet and printed by the thousands, and a mistake in the visibility of certain names can actually offer diminished returns if severe enough. After all, let’s be honest, a festival is buying the right to use the artist’s names to sell tickets. That’s how the economy of festival booking works, and that’s how I know how much to ask for monetarily.

The reason I’m thinking about this today is because 3 people have already shared the Infrasound 2017 poster with me, and 2 of them had a follow-up message of “lol I didn’t even see you until the 2nd time I saw it”. In all transparency, I only know of 2 of the other artists playing (ediT and Tipper), and it’s only because I’ve met them personally when performing with them previously. Both are nice fellows and incredible artists in their own right, and I want to emphasize that this post is purely about odd festival marketing and not about criticizing artists or claiming some sort of pecking-order. I’m sure inspirational performances can be found from top to bottom of this poster.

I wanted to find out if my suspicions had any basis behind them, and was kind of shocked by the results. I feel like the best approachable way to gauge an artist’s “name value” is by how many active listeners they have on Spotify in the current month. Last.FM is also good, but I feel like it’s getting a bit outdated as I haven’t heard anyone talk about “scrobbling” in years.

C?NJ?: No data (Triangles don’t work too well to figure out what letters those are supposed to be.)

Now, you can probably see why this is puzzling to me. I do know that Tipper is very popular in the festival scene, and is probably the right choice for the most visible listing. But the rest of it? A statistical mess. It has no effect on me or my ego personally, but it does inspire me to at least share this with festival promoters. After all, they’re a paying to have my name on the flyer, and the most effective way of utilizing that investment is maximizing how many tickets those 2 words can sell.

Then again, maybe my wannabe-economist brain may be deeply over-analyzing a scene I’m only familiar with from short visits behind the stage. Perhaps I should put on some LED jewelry and a dreadlock wig and enjoy myself instead of taking Khan Academy courses in my hotel.

HAHAHAHA

flol

HAHAHAHA

flol

Flahbulb pls

HAHAHAHA

flol

Flahbulb pls

maybe he can remedy this by selling vinyl