IGNORED

The Flashbulb - Piety of Ashes

sherkaner

Guest Chesney

Wow! he certainly knows how to flesh out his blurb (fleshblurb?)

Dude comes across as the most hard done to person ever. Believes so much in his own self worth that he's constantly trying convince people that he deserves more but with the most see through faux modesty.

And that comes from a person who actually really likes a handfull of his tracks.

He might read this too so... Benn, just make music, the music you want to make, don't try and compete with other artists and try and better their ideas, just make music... or don't if the result of releasing it irk's you that much.

You have fans and you have people who like to make fun but you make that really easy for people to do.

he's a talented producer, his melodic sense is so paint-by-numbers though, really lacking in any originality or inspiration. that vinyl post was on point though.

he's a talented producer, his melodic sense is so paint-by-numbers though, really lacking in any originality or inspiration. though.

yeah I actually found that refreshing considering how much fetishistic vinyl hype there has been lately, not to mention needless releases on the format

Even the selected comments on his bandcamp page from fans decry him:

The thing that frustrates me so much about Benn's overall tone is that he begrudges the fact that this is ultimately the kind of work that he does best. Success comes to him from sequencing breaks like no other musician on this planet can, and then once he's lured a fanbase in, he drowns them in space music and pseudo-Metheny. https://theflashbulb.bandcamp.com/album/hardscrabble

That said, I've not yet given Flashbulb a proper listen. Will do so and find out what the fuss is about (that said, the first song I clicked on his bandcamp was about a tree saying 'very mean things' :psyduck:)

Even the selected comments on his bandcamp page from fans decry him:

The thing that frustrates me so much about Benn's overall tone is that he begrudges the fact that this is ultimately the kind of work that he does best. Success comes to him from sequencing breaks like no other musician on this planet can, and then once he's lured a fanbase in, he drowns them in space music and pseudo-Metheny. https://theflashbulb.bandcamp.com/album/hardscrabble

That's not very fair, imo. I've had that kind of thing implied when people talk about my music as well, and to be honest, if I had to stick with one genre I would have quit music 10 years ago.

That said though, lol, his blog is pretentious as FUCK

All right, this dude's probably gonna be pretty good in about... 10 years?  I don't know.  I mean that positively.  Because yah, this thing whatever track for his new whatever, it's actually all right, and you can tell that he just cried for the first time like 3 months ago or something like that (as opposed to just looking in the mirror with a dramatic face- nude- and drawing the Squarepusher logo in the mirror with red lipstick; after which he quotes Nietzsche out loud for no fucking reason).  Still boring, but the intro is nice.

YOU KNOW WHAT I JUST NOTICED ABOUT THE FLASHBULB RIGHT NOW?!?!?!

I always thought his music was emotionally flat and the faux-complexity generally meaningless (Acidwolf stuff is actually all right, though), but check this out: The reason why this dude's music feels so flat, is because he has very little *GROOVE*.  Aphex Twin is fucking crazy with groove.  Squarepusher got groove for days.  All the great electronic musicians have mad groove.  Some Acidwolf stuff has groove, which is why it's so different (like Valley Shuffle is a straight up Squarepusher vibe-clone track, but it's at least got something you can sit in for a bit).

What a great revelation, but I also feel kind of tired that it was about The Flashbulb.

If I could get funding to study The Flashbulb phenomenon, I would get all the hardcore Benn Jordan fans and see how well they can dance, because my hypothesis is that there's a strong correlation between how little groove one can feel and how much one loves Benn Jordan music.  Of course, not all people who can feel groove can dance, but they can at least move their head or hands, as they ride the waves of the music.  Benn Jordan's The Flashbulb music generally has no groove, so when his fans start to dance to it for the scientific study, this is already proof that they have severe no-groove-disorder.  And if funding permits, they can all receive free therapy, which will be sending them back in time to relive their childhood-- but raised on at least 5 hours a day of hip hop, house, jungle, and jazz.

If I could get funding to study The Flashbulb phenomenon, I would get all the hardcore Benn Jordan fans and see how well they can dance, because my hypothesis is 

it's not

very

INTELLIGENT

If I could get funding to study The Flashbulb phenomenon, I would get all the hardcore Benn Jordan fans and see how well they can dance, because my hypothesis is 

it's not

very

INTELLIGENT

As has been noted before...  I guess: PBNWIDM?

Paint By Numbers Wannabe-IDM?

he's a talented producer, his melodic sense is so paint-by-numbers though, really lacking in any originality or inspiration. that vinyl post was on point though.

on the money

(as opposed to just looking in the mirror with a dramatic face- nude- and drawing the Squarepusher logo in the mirror with red lipstick; after which he quotes Nietzsche out loud for no fucking reason)

peace's production techniques EXPOSED!!!!

He was disgusting with salsa

Thank you for this, I actually looked up the old classic lion post. From way back in '09, fuck I'm getting old.

"once i was walking out of taco shop with a bag of good mexican food (carnitas burrito, tres tacos de tripas, 5 rolled tacos w/ guacamole, large diet coke) and a young gangster mexican bumped into me, knocking my glasses to the dirty concrete. my glasses shattered and i became furious. "you broke my glasses... now i break your arm" i threw a haymaker at him and he bowled over into the salsa bar, he was disgusting with salsa. regardless i jumped onto him and performed an excellent armbar while in the salsa, tomato all over me and the Puto. i quickly snapped his arm like a twig and the police came. they ran his information and he had a warrant out for his arrest for crimes. i was congratulated for catching the criminal and the taco shop paid for my food, the officer shook my hand as well.

who says violence solves nothing..? they are a fool.

The End"

Edited by six

I listened - it's alright. Didn't move me one way or another, tbh.

now the question is... is "it's all right" > "quite good"?

the flahblub

No, quite good is reserved for actual good music :dadjoke:

He was disgusting with salsa

Thank you for this, I actually looked up the old classic lion post. From way back in '09, fuck I'm getting old.

"once i was walking out of taco shop with a bag of good mexican food (carnitas burrito, tres tacos de tripas, 5 rolled tacos w/ guacamole, large diet coke) and a young gangster mexican bumped into me, knocking my glasses to the dirty concrete. my glasses shattered and i became furious. "you broke my glasses... now i break your arm" i threw a haymaker at him and he bowled over into the salsa bar, he was disgusting with salsa. regardless i jumped onto him and performed an excellent armbar while in the salsa, tomato all over me and the Puto. i quickly snapped his arm like a twig and the police came. they ran his information and he had a warrant out for his arrest for crimes. i was congratulated for catching the criminal and the taco shop paid for my food, the officer shook my hand as well.

who says violence solves nothing..? they are a fool.

The End"

is endlessly amusing to me that this is being posted in a thread about the flashbulb