IGNORED

Melodies from Mars

gafjunkis

Melodies from Mars is a brilliant collection of quirky playful other-worldly tunes.  Every now and then I come back to this album and it never gets old.  It's as if Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) made these himself during his down time.

Coming to the store soon I'd bet

I think it's a bit more special than simply a digital release...

how many years do you intend to do this?

Can we all agree to lynch Joyrex if all his teasing ends up leaving us with collective blue balls?

MfM has as much of a release chance as Half Life 3 does

Theoretically, there should be less potential project management issues when the project in question is being undertaken by a single person, who claimed seven years ago to already have completed it... Though I have no idea what goes on in his world. I was as surprised as anyone when he actually released all those old tracks on SoundCloud and some turned out to be amongst his best work. So maybe he's telling the truth after all. Who knows?

Hey Joyrex, I've been thinking to ask this for a some time now so now that we've got an own thread for MfM will drop my query here. All those times you've assured us that the MfM which everybody knows is only a demo if anything and thus miles away from the actual tracks, has made me curious if you have actually heard the vinyl version (CAT 087) or do you just assume/use your wits or know from Richard's words that the bootleg tracks are completely different game?

And how would you compare them to the new re-worked ones? :rhubear2::whistling::spiteful:

Hey Joyrex, I've been thinking to ask this for a some time now so now that we've got an own thread for MfM will drop my query here. All those times you've assured us that the MfM which everybody knows is only a demo if anything and thus miles away from the actual tracks, has made me curious if you have actually heard the vinyl version (CAT 087) or do you just assume/use your wits or know from Richard's words that the bootleg tracks are completely different game?

And how would you compare them to the new re-worked ones? :rhubear2::whistling::spiteful:

Ah, how to answer this... carefully.

I don't think I said that the tracks (quality) is "miles away" from the demo; that could be assumed by the fact it was a cassette passed around between WARP and Rephlex heads versus a test pressing made from a master.

The tracks on the test pressing are different than the demo; as to which tracks exactly are on the test pressing (and if there are ones that were not on the demo or just omitted for the test pressing) I do not know.

There's only a few people that actually own CAT087 (Minecraft Notch is one; GWC is another); more scarce than CAT023! (AFAIK, there are 2-3 copies left in existence; about 5-7 of CAT023, and loads* of CAT034 ABB5). Supposedly no copies of CAT002 still exist; even Richard has said he doesn't have any, and the tracks themselves are on DATs in storage.

*less than 50, but no more than - again, guesstimates based on comments from those "in the know"

I don't think I said that the tracks (quality) is "miles away" from the demo; that could be assumed by the fact it was a cassette passed around between WARP and Rephlex heads versus a test pressing made from a master.

The tracks on the test pressing are different than the demo; as to which tracks exactly are on the test pressing (and if there are ones that were not on the demo or just omitted for the test pressing) I do not know.

There's only a few people that actually own CAT087 (Minecraft Notch is one; GWC is another); more scarce than CAT023! (AFAIK, there are 2-3 copies left in existence; about 5-7 of CAT023, and loads* of CAT034 ABB5). Supposedly no copies of CAT002 still exist; even Richard has said he doesn't have any, and the tracks themselves are on DATs in storage.

*less than 50, but no more than - again, guesstimates based on comments from those "in the know"

Needs more "..."

Now give us cryptic hints on what the new version sounds like

Like I said... I haven't heard CAT087, nor what tracks are on it (from the demo).

I was talking about the recently reworked version Richard gave you on the down low

Cheers for the info! My vague "miles away" burb didn't have so much to do with the sound quality per se, but more with the issue about if the real tracks are radically altered version of the pieces on bootleg or totally different songs. Like so many others I've been listening the bootleg for years and I've wondered quite a few times how much they actually differ from the real thing. Nice you brought some light to that.