IGNORED

Headphones?

BoomTssPhace

What kind of headphones do you use/like the most? Any manufacturers in particular that have your constant nod of approval? What tends to bother you about headphones on the market nowadays?

I've searched but (surprisingly) failed to find any discussion here dedicated to headphones. Been needing to pick up a new pair soon, and push has come to shove since my Denon headphones (would not recommend) are literally falling to pieces. Especially unsure which ones i want next since my uses have broadened (monitoring many machines at once, EQing, listening to records, general music listening-to). Only thing i know is that they must be over-the-ear

I was using Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, but the right speaker went quieter than the left for some unknown reason. 

Now using Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's. They are not quite as neutral as the Sennheiser's, but they get the job done. 

3rd in a row for HD 280 Pro. I've tried em all, M40x, M50x, 7506, 770, etc. No (closed) full sized headphone can beat their neutrality. If you can think of any more closed cans that are more neutral, post em. I'd be into it

3rd in a row for HD 280 Pro. I've tried em all, M40x, M50x, 7506, 770, etc. No (closed) full sized headphone can beat their neutrality. If you can think of any more closed cans that are more neutral, post em. I'd be into it

HD 569 maybe? They are closed I think without really sounding like it.

Other wise Oppo PM-3 but I haven't heard them, and I probably wouldn't spend that much on headphones anyway because I'm old and deaf. :cerious:

Guest Chesney

I used HD 280 pro's for nearly 10 years maybe. I'm using Focal Spirits right now and they are much better but took some getting used to after so much time with the HD280's.

I tried some crazy expensive phones for mastering etc at a synth show and they were incredible but can't remember what they are. Not that i'd buy anything that expensive.

Sennheiser HD650s, got them back when I had a friend at Guitar Center who got almost 70% off on Sennheiser stuff and they're great.  Would be hard to justify at the regular street price though.

But actually my main listening headphones are still a pair of HD590s I got at the Good Will for $8 in college.  Not as good as the 650s but they still have a nice, open-basket kind of sound and are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn in my life.  I only use the 650s for mix related stuff because of that.

Either way, big fan of open Sennheisers in general, the sealed ones less so buy I generally don't like the sound of sealed headphones as much and only use them for recording.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro, the 80 ohms version. I am pleased with the sound, I don't know if it they are very neutral, but the bass response is good. When I compose/improvise stuff using only headphones, it translates well to my monitors (Yamaha HS80M) and small in-ears (Sennheiser CX1.00).

I have AIAIAI TMA-2s with E04 pads (standard everything else, but I'm thinking of getting a comfy headband) and they're super great for listening—really balanced, detailed sound and the bass goes super deep without getting muddy. Not the best isolation, but I wear them in an open office and often listen to loud death metal, dnb, 80s pop, etc without my colleagues getting annoyed/disturbed.

I haven't used them at home much, but they do sound nice with my Elektron gear. I'm not sure how accurate they are for getting a good mix though; I think they may enhance the sound a little too much.

For mixing I usually prefer my Alessandro MS-1s, which are possibly the most open headphones ever, so much so that it's possible to hear the leaking audio reflecting off the walls while listening lol.

I'm actually leaning towards mixing with my etymotic hf5s (when I don't have the luxury of using my monitors), which I currently only use on the way to/from work. They're almost like monitors though, in that they'll highlight any bad mixing or EQ decisions in the form of things sounding really shrill.. so much so that I have to EQ them slightly when I'm just listening on public transport. I've used them to compose on nanoloop 2, and they really help to achieve bass/punch that will sound great on a big system.

I was using Sennheiser HD280 Pro's, but the right speaker went quieter than the left for some unknown reason.

Weird, I've gone through two pairs over the last year and they've both done the same.

Anyway, I've had 4 pairs of HD280 Pro and I love them, but I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro (250 Ohm) and I haven't looked back since.

I'm fine with my AKG K171 MKII & AKG K280 Parabolic.

AKG K171: Closed&tight on the ears. Good for all sorts of audio work, not too big..
AKG k280 Parabolic: Mainly listening, semi-open/over-ear. Nice frequency balance, esp. low to mid tones...needs a proper "drive" to come alive

Edited by iococoi

Weird, I've gone through two pairs over the last year and they've both done the same.

Anyway, I've had 4 pairs of HD280 Pro and I love them, but I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro (250 Ohm) and I haven't looked back since.

HD590 also had that problem (left side).  Sennheiser makes fantastic headphones, but maybe they got some quality control problems with their soldering/plugs/whatever.  Or maybe the sonics are so tight, that they tear apart the fabric of time and space, rendering one side of their headphones wonky.

Another Sennheiser nod. I had a pair of 280HD's that I upgraded later to a pair of 380HD. I find that they needed a mid of a low-to-mid range boost when I am detailing tracks but other than that the things are pretty solid and durable. Only other problem is that their plugs are 2.5 mm and customized to only fit their specific cord design, much like Korg's abstruse power plugs. The 280 are the only low-priced headphones that I have both enjoyed and would recommend to a beginner to use for sound production. 

HD590 also had that problem (left side).  Sennheiser makes fantastic headphones, but maybe they got some quality control problems with their soldering/plugs/whatever.  Or maybe the sonics are so tight, that they tear apart the fabric of time and space, rendering one side of their headphones wonky.

Mine has that problem a bit but I figured it was just from the plug being work out. Tapping it a bit brings it back.  They wouldn't be my first choice of Sennheisers for sound (although it's quite good) or build quality )although they've proven way sturdier than I expected considering they're all plastic) but for comfort they're amazing.

Mine also started developing a buzz on the right side when there was a lot of deep bass and I thought the driver was going but it turned out the foam was starting to wear out and a little piece had fallen inside - blowing some air in there (with my mouth, not canned air or something, I imagine that would be a really bad idea) and replacing the pads sorted it out.

Good overall response here, considerable preference for sennheiser huh? I'm thinkin i wanna get the audio technica m50x. Positive reviews in general but it also has the interchangeable cords so i don't have to use that awful coiled one. Also less likely to wear out the connection from movement