IGNORED

Headphones?

BoomTssPhace

In that vein I remembered that some of my bandmates a couple years ago told me that there's a brand called Superlux which makes ridiculously good headphones for the price. I think the model in question is Superlux HD-669 or HD-681 Evo. If you google the Evo you get a lot of audiophiles talking about that stuff, so maybe they have a point? :)

I've listened to them a couple of times - they sound fine to me, although I don't have enough experience to be sure. If I was on a budget I'd certainly get them.

Edited by thawkins

i farted around trying lots of different ones until I followed the fairly common advice to get sennheiser hd650s and am very happy with them

they need an amp

and I wouldn't use them for mixing or anything, but for listening they're the best i've tried (and I tried a few other planar and dynamic ones in the price range)

Thomann have given me a €20 discount on account of the fact that their new depot has gone completely tits up and all orders are delayed.  Which has kinda tempted me into finally picking up a new pair of headphones.  There's a lot mentioned in here that I could snag for around €150 or under.

I can get down to Just Music where they have a whole wall available to test, but unfortunately that doesn't give you a full insight on how comfortable they are to wear for a substantial number of hours.  

Any help? I'm thinking especially of the ATH-M50x, Sony 7506, Sennheiser 280 Pro, Beyerdynamic DT770, although welcome to other suggestions.

Thomann have given me a €20 discount on account of the fact that their new depot has gone completely tits up and all orders are delayed.  Which has kinda tempted me into finally picking up a new pair of headphones.  There's a lot mentioned in here that I could snag for around €150 or under.

I can get down to Just Music where they have a whole wall available to test, but unfortunately that doesn't give you a full insight on how comfortable they are to wear for a substantial number of hours.  

Any help? I'm thinking especially of the ATH-M50x, Sony 7506, Sennheiser 280 Pro, Beyerdynamic DT770, although welcome to other suggestions.

Psssssst... Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, my man...

I wonder what all my music sounds like on these.....:

Gameboy-Headphones.jpg

p.s. Game Boy was amazing

I remember playing Balloon Kid on those, the pulse waves and stereo spacing blew my 8-year old mind/ears after previously only hearing the Gameboy from its built-in speakers.

Psssssst... Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, my man...

The earpads are also easily detachable for washing and the bass response goes down to 16Hz....

I wonder what all my music sounds like on these.....:

Gameboy-Headphones.jpg

p.s. Game Boy was amazing

I remember playing Balloon Kid on those, the pulse waves and stereo spacing blew my 8-year old mind/ears after previously only hearing the Gameboy from its built-in speakers

Yah, man- Game Boy on earphones was stereosuperphonic like, back in the day.  So many good soundtracks.

I just ordered a pair of Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XXs (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx) but am not an audiophile so I didn't even know what a DAC/Amp was. After some research I realized I would need one, but am completely lost as to which one to buy. I don't really want to spend more than $200. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I use AKG K240 MKII for recording and listening to high quality tunes at home. I find them great for everything other than recording vocals because they are semi open and bleed sound. They are the most comfortable headphones with the most neutral natural sound from my experience.

For walking around i use Song MDR ZX-310 which has really fantastic sound for a $25 pair of headphones. I have been using this style of Sony for a long time and always found them easy to break until the 310 model.

I just ordered a pair of Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XXs (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx) but am not an audiophile so I didn't even know what a DAC/Amp was. After some research I realized I would need one, but am completely lost as to which one to buy. I don't really want to spend more than $200. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Assuming you haven't already done that, I'd just wait until they arrive and try plugging them straight to your phone or whatever you're using to make sound. Some people on the internet said that my Beyerdynamics would need an extra amp as well, but it turns out that they play OK on my phone and laptop and audio interface. The higher impedance rating just means that you have to turn up the volume more, but as long as the resulting sound is loud enough for you, then you should be good without a headphone amp.

Generally my belief is that if you need a headphone amp (especially if it needs to be portable) for your headphones, then you're strictly in audiophile territory. This seems a nice and cheap thing though, maybe it will help you: http://www.lucidlaboratories.com/headphone-amplifiers/

• 2 months later...

3rd in a row for HD 280 Pro. I've tried em all, M40x, M50x, 7506, 770, etc. No (closed) full sized headphone can beat their neutrality. If you can think of any more closed cans that are more neutral, post em. I'd be into it

Tried the Focal Spirit Professional?

I didn't really need new headphones but couldn't resist snatching a pair at half price last week and these sound amazingly lifelike. If I absolutely must nitpick I'd say there may be a very slight hint of inaccuracy somewhere in the midbass but other than that, like being there.

Makes the mids and treble on my Yamahas sound rather artificial all of a sudden. :psyduck:

Guest Chesney

I use Focal Spirits. Love them, and yeah, they feel pretty close to right to me. looking forward to setting up my Focal monitors as well, hoping for a similar feel.

Edited by Chesney

the hd650s definitely sound better with an amp

i'd recommend the schiit jotunheim - its expensive (though it can get fucking crazy in hifiland)

if you're willing to brave some of those crazy headphone forums you'll see that a lot of people recommend this amp for the sennheisers

there are sure to be cheaper options that are probably just as good - alot of people recommend a DIY valve amp called the bottlehead crack

I use Focal Spirits. Love them, and yeah, they feel pretty close to right to me. looking forward to setting up my Focal monitors as well, hoping for a similar feel.

I just picked up a pair of Focal Spirit Pros to replace my failing 7506's (I like having one decent pair of closed-back cans for music listening and making on the go). Since Focal discontinued them, I got a substantial discount. These are good cans.

• 5 months later...

It's a personal preference I guess to have songs that you personally are really familiar with. I have used this for checking bass response.

Someone also said Ageispolis has a lot of bass so I use that too sometimes to understand how well it plays on the headphones.

And then some more hard banger tunes:

I would post more stuff but it just seems it'll be my personal faves. :emotawesomepm9:

For what it's worth, maybe I would add also some soung engineers' favorites like Steely Dan's Aja but personally I have no familiarity with that stuff, so don't know what the point would be to listen.