IGNORED

Headphones?

BoomTssPhace

Good overall response here, considerable preference for sennheiser huh? I'm thinkin i wanna get the audio technica m50x. Positive reviews in general but it also has the interchangeable cords so i don't have to use that awful coiled one. Also less likely to wear out the connection from movement

Just to be 100% confident in what you want check your nearest Guitar Center to see if they have a headphone demo station, not all of em do but a ton have them. If it has one then they should have most every studio headphone that you can think of available for demoing

The audio technica are good but they're not amazing. There's something workman-like about them, they get the job done, but they don't fluff your pillow.

They're kind of pricey, and the best ones seem to require a decent headphone amp? Or is this nonsense? They do sound good though. They definitely fluff your pillow.

Edit: I see this is all wrong, must be going senile. I'm going to go check them out. Any recs? The 990?

Edited by Gocab

So I saved up for a long time and bought the Audeze LCD-2.  Basically they're the best headphones I've ever owned, and nothing I've listened to has come close.  They're a in the stupid expensive range, but I keep telling myself that it's the price for not needing to upgrade again for a long while(so far that's completely true).  If you have a shop nearby that demos LCDs, check them out.  

Also headphone amps don't really matter. If you need an amp at all, get a Schiit Magni 2 and be done with it.

Edited by BaggerMcGuirk

Guest Chesney

I am pretty sure the magical phones I mentioned in my post were Audeze. Not sure on the models but def the LCD shape. I remember thinking they felt a little rickety in my hands, amazingly built but kinda spindly. They had two pairs on show. One set was just over a grand I think and sounded really great but then they handed me the top model for reference and mastering etc and they blew the previous ones away. Literally night and day, made the others sound like beats even though they were amazing in their own right. They also had one of those bass pads for your chair hooked up to a microbrute. That is a weird feeling feeling the chromatic scale up your spine.

Edited by Chesney

I am pretty sure the magical phones I mentioned in my post were Audeze. Not sure on the models but def the LCD shape. I remember thinking they felt a little rickety in my hands, amazingly built but kinda spindly. They had two pairs on show. One set was just over a grand I think and sounded really great but then they handed me the top model for reference and mastering etc and they blew the previous ones away. Literally night and day, made the others sound like beats even though they were amazing in their own right. They also had one of those bass pads for your chair hooked up to a microbrute. That is a weird feeling feeling the chromatic scale up your spine.

Yeah it sounds like that's what you had.  They're pretty heavy!  Also I had a chance to try out the LCD4 when I bought the 2.  They were fucking amazing, but...also $4,000.  

My standby has been the Sennheiser HD 205 for like 8 years I think. I've had Sony and AT ones, but they have broken far too quickly for the way I treat my headphones... The 205s, I have only ever owned two pairs of. First one lasted til the plastic broke. Still have my second pair. I got both refurb for $30, and they are the absolute easiest to solder if (when) the wiring goes haywire. The sonys I had have these super thin wires threaded between the joints, which is just a huge pain to repair and poor design, had this issue within 6 months of use for two different pairs. The 205s, you open up the cans on the side the headphone wire comes in, and the solder pads are right there. Sound is pretty balanced overall, but definitely weighted on the low end.

They're kind of pricey, and the best ones seem to require a decent headphone amp? Or is this nonsense? They do sound good though. They definitely fluff your pillow.

Edit: I see this is all wrong, must be going senile. I'm going to go check them out. Any recs? The 990?

Depends on whether you want closed, half open, or open headphones. I have the 770

Anyone tried Yamaha's new HPH-MT8s?

No, but those should be a good deal. I have the MT220 which was heavier and more expensive for similar specs.

Compared to the AKG K 240 MkII I had before the 220s were like having 10 years of wax buildup cleaned out of my ears. But they do get a little aggressive on the treble sometimes.

Depends on whether you want closed, half open, or open headphones. I have the 770
I'd like some open ones, leakage isn't really a problem.

No, but those should be a good deal. I have the MT220 which was heavier and more expensive for similar specs.

Compared to the AKG K 240 MkII I had before the 220s were like having 10 years of wax buildup cleaned out of my ears. But they do get a little aggressive on the treble sometimes.

Thanks.

The 990 then ;D

anyone using the akg k271 mkii ? i like my akg 240s and this seems like a good upgrade, also in my price range

had one, nice workhorse, neutral linear sound, over-ear tech but not too tight..in the end i side-graded to the 171 because of the size factor=on-ear and that auto-turn-off mechanism really doesn't play well with dj-ing.

anyone using the akg k271 mkii ? i like my akg 240s and this seems like a good upgrade, also in my price range

had one, nice workhorse, neutral linear sound, over-ear tech but not too tight..in the end i side-graded to the 171 because of the size factor=on-ear and that auto-turn-off mechanism really doesn't play well with dj-ing.

cool, thanks iococoi  :music:

The 80 ohm ones don't require a separate amp - at least I have had no need for one so far and the headphone out knob on my interface is at 30% maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Good overall response here, considerable preference for sennheiser huh? I'm thinkin i wanna get the audio technica m50x. Positive reviews in general but it also has the interchangeable cords so i don't have to use that awful coiled one. Also less likely to wear out the connection from movement

Just to be 100% confident in what you want check your nearest Guitar Center to see if they have a headphone demo station, not all of em do but a ton have them. If it has one then they should have most every studio headphone that you can think of available for demoing

The audio technica are good but they're not amazing. There's something workman-like about them, they get the job done, but they don't fluff your pillow.

I have some I got a good deal on long ago. I agree with this.

Lots of Sennheiser heads! I must be the last of the Sony MDR 7506 generation.

I'm definitely still using and loving my Sony MDR 7506 Pros. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Lots of Sennheiser heads! I must be the last of the Sony MDR 7506 generation.

Most radio stations and film crews seem to have replaced those with Beyerdynamic Pro models here.

RDJ was pretty enthusiastic about the 7520 though, if I'm remembering that right.

RDJ was pretty enthusiastic about the 7520 though, if I'm remembering that right.

It was the 7510 that he was on a roll about, sadly there's not much info on them. Thinking about it there's not much on the 7520, either

I use these big goofy things lol

sony mdrxb1000

Aside from the size I honestly find them pretty damn good. They feel like they'd be flimsy as there isn't much of a frame to them, but they've survived years of my drunked stoned stupidity. Nice soundstage/imaging etc, can be cranked if you need them loud, but they sound great at low volume too. 

Oh only other thing is they leak sound, people on the bus might complain or your waifu if you're listening in bed while she's trying to sleep (which has totally never happened to me =/ )

https://headfonics.com/2016/04/the-mdr-xb1000-by-sony/

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj