IGNORED

Headphones?

BoomTssPhace

The impedance is not too bad - I generally would turn a portable stereo (discman/mp3 player etc.) up two or three notches than with 'normal' earphones but it's nothing crazy like you have with something like the 600ohm k240m's

EDIT: I couldn't see what exactly you're going to be using them for - I use mine for mixing and general at home listening. If you're looking for something to have 'on the go' I'd probably stay clear as their open design makes them leak sound (in and out) like nobody's biznizz.

The impedance is not too bad - I generally would turn a portable stereo (discman/mp3 player etc.) up two or three notches than with 'normal' earphones but it's nothing crazy like you have with something like the 600ohm k240m's

EDIT: I couldn't see what exactly you're going to be using them for - I use mine for mixing and general at home listening. If you're looking for something to have 'on the go' I'd probably stay clear as their open design makes them leak sound (in and out) like nobody's biznizz.

Yeah, home listening and mixing for me too. For a moment there, the price tag and their flat/monitor response is what got me interested, but after some consideration, I think I'll go for the aiaiais, as I would most probably use them outside my graphic studio (office or a public cafe) as well. That's what I meant by 'general purpose' - something a bit more sturdy and isolated. Sometimes I think out loud, sorry about that :) and thanks

Edited by Godwin Austen

FWIW I am using my 80ohm Beyerdynamics all the time in laptops, phones, whatever and it's rare that the volume needs to be turned up to the max. Right now on the work laptop its at 40%, and I think around 50-60% on my iphone. I think 62 ohms is even nicer.

I recently became very rich. Thinking about getting some very expensive headphones like the AKG K812....

Thing is there are so many bitches & hookers I didn't go to and didn't give my money to them... this spared me so much money, I'm even thinken about the Sennheiser HD 800 S, I heard they are audophile reference headphones

man I hate women, why do they not like me? all I want is love (mum if you read this I love you). also the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5 look nuise

It's OK to treat yourself once in your life - get into eurorack.

hi guys I recently bought Beyerdynamic 770 250ohm and my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb audio interface can barely handle these (headphone-knob all the way up is still quite low in volume).. I got a little FiiO preamp thing which can make em loud but I'd love to just have a single USB audio interface that can pump these 250ohms....

Any suggests? budget preferably beneath 150eurs and just 2x2 record/playback channels. (i basically don't know which number I need to check to know if the interface can handle 250ohm headphones lol)

hi guys I recently bought Beyerdynamic 770 250ohm and my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 usb audio interface can barely handle these (headphone-knob all the way up is still quite low in volume).. I got a little FiiO preamp thing which can make em loud but I'd love to just have a single USB audio interface that can pump these 250ohms....

Any suggests? budget preferably beneath 150eurs and just 2x2 record/playback channels. (i basically don't know which number I need to check to know if the interface can handle 250ohm headphones lol)

I would send back the 250ohms and get the 80ohms instead. I don't know if there is an interface for driving 250ohms for the price that you mention. I think it probably does not exist because 250ohms is a niche thing and the people who care about this will already buy a high end audio interface as well (such as SPL Crimson).

Here's a discussion about this sort of thing https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/942967-audio-interface-driving-250-ohms-dt-990-without-amp.html

Personally I have always though it is pointless to have a 250ohm headphone setup unless I am absolutely prepared to buy all the headphone-amps and whatever other stuff is necessary to get them to the correct level and have the sound be not colored or changed in any way.

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to say big thanks to everyone here who recommended Sennheiser HD280 Pro - I got an used pair for work a couple of months ago and only yesterday had a mix session with them as my Beyerdynamics are a bit broken. Really nice sound - I'm happy with them. ?

This nice little combo arrived... HD650 and Feliks Echo. I originally planned on a cheaper Bellari amp (even prepared with a JJ ECC803s tube now just lying around, ha) but there was a single unit available from the only reseller in the country, and I just couldn't pass up after reading up on it. :music:

The two drivers are russian NOS 6N1P, supposedly good so I'll give them a good spin before rolling any replacements. 

20190930_135036.jpg

20190930_135149.jpg

• 6 months later...

Planar design IIRC ? How do they sound ?

6 months ago, I went for a pair of Audeze LCD-1, as an update from my AKG K-702, to have a reliable monitoring solution when not in the studio. Quite found of the low end, but still trying to figure them out.

LCD-1_PS2_2000x.jpg?v=1584599038

• Like 1

Going between my Audiotechnicas and my KRK KNS-8400s gives me a pretty broad sense of how a mix will come across on a wide variety of systems.  If The bass isn't way out of control in the KRKs, but still kicking ass in the AT's, it's a great bass mix that isn't going to be muddying things up.  Basic point being, it's good to have a couple decent pairs of headphones whose sonic characteristics are quite different.  I use monitor-monitors too of course (and car stereo).  Both the ATs and KRKs are excellent headphones that I highly recommend (and probably already have in here).

• Like 1

For the past two months i've been reading about headphones in the range between 300-600 euros, well, also a bit up to 1500 euros too, just to see what's out there. iI guess ive read everything there is on the net: ive read so much that vomit everytime someone mentions headphones (funny, but not on watmm). 

Anywoo... after  two months these was my top 5 contenders, in no particular order:

Neumann NDH 20 - I went with these (waiting them to arrive from Thomann). I have Neumann speakers which are flawless. The hp apparently have enough bass and have micro-dynamic resolution across the freq. range that's usually found in 2-3 times more expensive hp. also, apparently have magnificent translation to other systems. but they're closed-back hp which can be a negative or a positive thing. will let you know how they sound!

Hifiman Sundara (Hi Her, I changed my name) -  ive heard that the build quality is not that good. apparently too bright for critical listening with bad translation. these apparently sounds the best in that price range but apparently not good for production and editing. dunno why! ...just something ive read repeatedly on the net.

Sennheiser HD660s - weak in the bass region but great in the mids. majority ppl like them better than HD600 and HD650.

Audeze LCD-1 - bad quality control, already reports of headband breaking and drivers dying. apparently too bright for critical listening but with quite good translation. weak macro and micro-dynamic resolution.

Massdrop x Focal Elex (used) or Focal Clear (used) - i couldn't find those used, and i didn't want to wait anymore. they are apparently great sounding but have poor translation to other systems. clears are much better but too expensive new! 

Edited by xox

1 minute ago, xox said:

Hifiman Sundara (Hi Her, I changed my name) -  ive heard that the build quality is not that good. apparently too bright for critical listening with bad translation.

I've read a lot of differing opinions on them including the one you expressed. I can't confirm, they sound good enough and build quality is fine. Maybe Hifiman has problems to maintain a constant product quality and there were bad batches. I have lots of experience with the Sennheiser HD 650 (the ones chim posted a pic of above) and they can compete. The Sennheiser has warmer low mids, thicker body but is not as good in the high end.

12 minutes ago, xox said:

ive read so much that vomit everytime someone mentions headphones (funny, but not on watmm). 

I feel you. Also audiophiles are a pest. So many people offering opinions as if they really knew what they are talking about, but it's all esoteric bullshit

26 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I feel you. Also audiophiles are a pest. So many people offering opinions as if they really knew what they are talking about, but it's all esoteric bullshit

Audiophiles are fakn crazy! But I managed to identify reviewers, producers/mixers and audiophiles who know what they’re talking about; that was the hardest part but after that everything was much easier. I went through the same thing when I was buying all of my stuff... monitors, synths, pedals, cars, tvs, bikes and so far i was never wrong. But i doubt I could be much wrong with any of before mentioned headphones.

i splashed out £599 on audeze LCD-2 classic. absolutely mindblowing. they are infintely better for production than my 1300 quid genelecs in a normal room. you can hear everything. the bass translates. the stereo field is insane. worth every single penny.

6 minutes ago, Nil said:

I can’t understand why anyone would find the LCD-1 bright (I’ve read that too), when compared to my pair anyway.

More comparatively i guess...

you can hear some of it here:

• Thanks 1