IGNORED

Wagnerican Experimentalism

wagneric

Greetings -- this is a prototypical track for me.  Cheesy 80s, industrial, and classical sensibilities, plus a washing machine and windshield wipers from a '68 Plymouth are weaved into the music, as music (no samples), somehow.  My wife says it sounds antisocial, but I think it's just a little tetched.

https://soundcloud.com/wagneric/sprague-bear

As a huge fan of the underutilized Classitronic genre, I respek dis. Saying that, I think some careful mixing could be beneficial. Anyway, reminds me of Liquid Sky on more LSD and less heroin. Interesting stuff!

As a huge fan of the underutilized Classitronic genre, I respek dis. Saying that, I think some careful mixing could be beneficial. Anyway, reminds me of Liquid Sky on more LSD and less heroin. Interesting stuff!

Thank you!  I appreciate the comment on mixing; I'm not very good at keeping perspective and it gets frustrating, so I spend minimal time on it, but this gives me an impetus to improve.

I can see why your wife says it sounds antisocial, I suppose, because it's sort of unrelentingly bizarre and frenetic, but I vote for just a bit tetched. When everything drops out and opens up around 5:55 or so it's a great feeling of release and allows my brain to come down from the trip, and the track seems to resolve itself while still maintaining its weirdness. 

I can see why your wife says it sounds antisocial, I suppose, because it's sort of unrelentingly bizarre and frenetic, but I vote for just a bit tetched. When everything drops out and opens up around 5:55 or so it's a great feeling of release and allows my brain to come down from the trip, and the track seems to resolve itself while still maintaining its weirdness. 

Thank you for listening so closely.   In trying to get the weirdness out of my system I only seem to be generating more and weirder weirdness.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings -- this is a prototypical track for me. Cheesy 80s, industrial, and classical sensibilities, plus a washing machine and windshield wipers from a '68 Plymouth are weaved into the music, as music (no samples), somehow. My wife says it sounds antisocial, but I think it's just a little tetched.

https://soundcloud.com/wagneric/sprague-bear

Wow, kinda like James Blake gone 12-tone cyclic and Venetian Snares Horse and Goat-era slowed down, really surprising melodic and harmonic structure, the intro sounded like a demented ringtone, really actually quite catchy and unexpected piece!

definitely a unique track, not sure it works as song but would definitely work for a soundtrack. that being said, if you're looking for a track that's bizarre and wandering and dense, then this definitely achieves that. 

it's not really anti-social, more anti-pop, which is funny because the palette isn't very agressive, and it's not atonal. just odd notes and melodies and layering. it works for me but i suspect if i played it for my wife, she'd be like, "what is this?"

It's an impressive song even though I don't know Wagner at all or whether the piece actually refers to some classical work. I think it would be much more impressive than it is with a little bit more mixing to make the different parts sound out and control the build-ups and breakdowns. Just some basic EQing and panning would probably be enough. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for the comments.  I've started reworking the track, trying to pull my favorite parts out of the mess, but it's definitely a challenge.

There is a link to Wagner in that what I write often contains patterns with specific meanings that are re-used and evolved across different contexts/tracks (the leitmotif thing).

Archived