IGNORED

LCD Soundsystem - American Dream

DavieAddison

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

see Fantano has posted up a review of this, out of (very mild verging on lukewarm to ice cold) curiosity I pressed play but killed it at about the halfway mark..

classic example of somebody (Fantano) who has a lot of pussy emotion invested in James Murphy and Co. and myself who couldn't give a huge flying fuck about all the politics of the band and just pressed play and enjoyed the music

If James Murphy knocked at my door at 3am and told me he did it for the money, I'd just yawn in his face and tell him to get back to the studio asap and leave me in peace

I guess I'm getting older so I don't care so much nowadays about the whys and wherefores. Back in the day it was different.

see Fantano has posted up a review of this, out of (very mild verging on lukewarm to ice cold) curiosity I pressed play but killed it at about the halfway mark..

classic example of somebody (Fantano) who has a lot of pussy emotion invested in James Murphy and Co. and myself who couldn't give a huge flying fuck about all the politics of the band and just pressed play and enjoyed the music

If James Murphy knocked at my door at 3am and told me he did it for the money, I'd just yawn in his face and tell him to get back to the studio asap and leave me in peace

I guess I'm getting older so I don't care so much nowadays about the whys and wherefores. Back in the day it was different.

Fuck Fantano. Who cares what he thinks about anything?

"who cares about what someone else thinks about music", said DavieAddison on a music discussion forum

he (Fantano) seems to be some fucking cult music messiah for a load of fucking lost-soul dorks (please! please! please! review my favourite album! Please!!)

read the comment section, he's got a long line of cockgobblers ready and willing to suck his penis for his opinion which is really not a million miles away from a cult leader

Bob Marley sings in Trenchtown Rock ​Big Fish or Spratt

Music opinion wise Fantano is Big Fish Beerwolf is ​Spratt 

nobody that young has such a superior knowledge of music, and give an ironclad opinion of pop music from the last forty years, unless you are a melonheaded cult leader dreaming of the potential of getting your cock sucked by a load of 'fans'

"who cares about what someone else thinks about music", said DavieAddison on a music discussion forum

lol I get what you're saying but this dude gets paid to review music, which turned into stating outlandish opinions in order to get clicks. I don't go on this board to take people's opinions at face value, just to get music recommendations based off of similar artists, to discuss music production, and to listen to members' music.

couple weeks ago I revisited Remain In Light.  just as solid as I remember it.

middle of track 4 on this album I turn it off and think "what is the point?".  not interesting enough for me to find out, but the comparison to remain-in-light-era talking heads is 10,000% accurate

couple weeks ago I revisited Remain In Light.  just as solid as I remember it.

middle of track 4 on this album I turn it off and think "what is the point?".  not interesting enough for me to find out, but the comparison to remain-in-light-era talking heads is 10,000% accurate

Seriously! Remain In Light is 37 years old and it wipes the floor with this James Murphy guy. "what is the point?" indeed. 

i love that fantano is the only negative review

It is bizarre that 6/10 is considered "negative"

Music journalism of late seems to have made any truly negative reviews a white whale and pushed most review ratings to B+/A- territory. I think the reason Fantano won't go away is that he's filled this once common niche of annoyingly off-putting but nonetheless contrarian music reviews. There's not one major music journalism site that will publish a bad review of an artist, especially when so many have spent weeks and months getting site clicks by promoting and/or discussing an artist. He's filled the that void once occupied by 90s era NME and early 00's P4k. It sucks that he has this presence but I think it's a product of the state of things.

Anyway this thing is getting plenty of lauding elsewhere. I enjoyed it alright, I had a feeling the singles were underwhelming compared to the bulk of the album and that was the case. Nothing new really, I think a lot of fans elsewhere (r/indieheads is a good example) seem to be calling this AOTY or certain songs the best of 2017 more out of happiness that the band is back and that they got a #1 album on the charts.

"tonite" and "change yr mind" were highlights for me

Music journalism of late seems to have made any truly negative reviews a white whale and pushed most review ratings to B+/A- territory. I think the reason Fantano won't go away is that he's filled this once common niche of annoyingly off-putting but nonetheless contrarian music reviews. There's not one major music journalism site that will publish a bad review of an artist, especially when so many have spent weeks and months getting site clicks by promoting and/or discussing an artist. He's filled the that void once occupied by 90s era NME and early 00's P4k. It sucks that he has this presence but I think it's a product of the state of things.

Anyway this thing is getting plenty of lauding elsewhere. I enjoyed it alright, I had a feeling the singles were underwhelming compared to the bulk of the album and that was the case. Nothing new really, I think a lot of fans elsewhere (r/indieheads is a good example) seem to be calling this AOTY or certain songs the best of 2017 more out of happiness that the band is back and that they got a #1 album on the charts.

"tonite" and "change yr mind" were highlights for me

I guess I'm probably looking at it from more of a "grade" standpoint since I'm in school - 6/10 or 60% is a failing grade at my college so I just associate it with being negative out of habit.

That said I am still loving this thing to death.

man, that's a great post

I do have a few major rant & rave episodes about Fantano (probably for no other reason than I quite like a rant & rave every now and again and he's perhaps an easy target) but you're right maybe I should give him a bit more respect, seeing as sometimes I pine a lot for UK 9O's era music journalism where tearing bands and artists apart was all part of the fun (though looking back it was very immature and sometimes grotesquely unfair)

I do honestly thinks he gives his true opinion so fair dues. 

I guess I'm probably looking at it from more of a "grade" standpoint since I'm in school - 6/10 or 60% is a failing grade at my college so I just associate it with being negative out of habit.

Ah, see I take 6/10 as being 3/5, or the classic 3 out of 5 stars. I always figured pfork's scale was some goofy expanded take on that (iirc it's an average of the staff's ratings of the album).

I would associate A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, F=1 or 0

So Fantano gave it a C from my interpretation 

I somehow glossed over "i used to" the first few times and its quite good. Lyrics hit pretty close to home, i guess that's his thing right? Tongue-in-cheek, cynical but somewhat warm introspective monologues? I really wish i didn't keep coming back to this album for more lol. Call the police is annoying. I really dislike that shrill distorted guitar he seems to enjoy

I somehow glossed over "i used to" the first few times and its quite good. Lyrics hit pretty close to home, i guess that's his thing right? Tongue-in-cheek, cynical but somewhat warm introspective monologues? I really wish i didn't keep coming back to this album for more lol. Call the police is annoying. I really dislike that shrill distorted guitar he seems to enjoy

I hate enjoying music too

Archived