IGNORED

will tom put out a good record ever again?

koolkeyZ865

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when did everyone hate Damogen Furies? I recall most of us on here loving it when it came out. I know I do.

I don't hate it per se but I don't love it either. It seems to lack something....personality? 'soul'?

I really really like Ufab now though so maybe it'll grow on me eventually.

I don't understand the negativity towards ufab and damogen either, although I do love ufab way more than damogen. They're both way different than his old releases (obviously), but they both have that squarepusher audio assault feeling that was missing since the ultravisitor days

I guess they're all right if you stuff cotton in your ears before listening.

nowadays he looks like a cyperpunk character

5d073_103_48165ef9dea6d17bf29782183c3ccb

russian hacker who goes by the alias "grand theft auto weekend at berny's"....

btw can haz thos sunglasses pls???  i have a pair that fit over my glasses for when i drive. i love'm they're huge though and look half way between super old person blocking out the light and cyberpunk mistake

I guess they're all right if you stuff cotton in your ears before listening.

same. 

go plastic is tops imo. selection 16 is great.. venus no17 amazing. various bits on hello everything, ultravisitor, do you know...,  make me warm fuzzy.. but since then i'm pretty indifferent to his output :(   though the metalurgist is wicked twisted stuff. the mastering/mixing is uh.. modern i guess. ear fatigue is a thing.  i'm always going to listen to his new stuff and see what's up.  the dude has done epic things imo. he'll still float high up there based on that stuff alone.  if he does a duet w/lady gaga during a half time show then we'll reassess. 

what annoys me the most about ufab and damo is the terrible mixing and CONSTANT assault. no contrast, just a constant torrent of sound. everything's dead center too, no panning.

what annoys me the most about ufab and damo is the terrible mixing and CONSTANT assault. no contrast, just a constant torrent of sound. everything's dead center too, no panning.

+1

Damogen is fucking outstanding. Baffles me more people don't agree.

There's some great freak outs and he's obviously still a v clever sausage but the whole thing sounds so fucking brittle and there're a lot of horrid, cheesy melodies wafting about on it.

• 4 months later...

He said that after hello everything he was officially not using the amen break ever again. I reckon he used it somewhere tho.. I don't believe you can resist not slicing up an amen for so much time!

Damogen is fucking outstanding. Baffles me more people don't agree.

There's some great freak outs and he's obviously still a v clever sausage but the whole thing sounds so fucking brittle and there're a lot of horrid, cheesy melodies wafting about on it.

I think he gets unfair amount of hate lately but I can't help but agree with this. There's something off with the production, at least to my ears. Some of the tracks literally hurt my eardrums somehow specially with my phones. The question is: Did he want the album to sound like this in purpose or not? is it our fault and we are missing something, or is it objectively not properly mixed? who can even judge this?

I just wonder how go plastic sounds so good in the clean, digital sense (and I think we all can agree on this being a fact) and still so many years later it sounds amazing and maintains that powerful sound, whereas this one sounds as you described it.

DF hurts my ears the exact same way. Absolutely piercing in some of the high end. 

I'm wondering though if it's somewhat different on a live setup/PA system. It was after all composed on a laptop while he was touring and stuff I thought? Tracks mostly intended for his live shows? 

Not that it should really matter, they should still master the album proper for home listening such that it doesn't make your ears bleed. 

(slightly drunkpost)

I rlly like stereotype ep

Been re-visiting that recently, got me in the mood for that big sound  on Whooshki, like Theme from Ernest Borgnine, I Wish You Could Talk, etc.

Would kill for an LP of just reverb-drenched slow-building acid-over-breaks with those big descending pads from him. He does that like no-one else.

I saw him on both the Ufab and Damogen tours multiple times and the energy was incredible, no doubt, no regrets, but the lovely big/wistful side of his music is really something else and I'd love to see it shine again.

Ease up on the DSP wank for a sec and feel those roots again, Tom. We know you're a master at that stuff already, you don't have to prove anything more to us.

Hello Everything/Just a Souvenir are so good practically no one here can even handle it.  Prob his best works up until that point, and right when the watmm general consensus seemed to sour towards his work.  Ridiculous!  I actually kind of forgot Damogen Furies and haven't really gotten into Ufablulum... but those are MY short-comings.   Tom never lost it.

Hello Everything/Just a Souvenir are so good practically no one here can even handle it.  Prob his best works up until that point, and right when the watmm general consensus seemed to sour towards his work.  Ridiculous!

I agree, the modern bass guitar is probs my most listened track of his

Hello Everything/Just a Souvenir are so good practically no one here can even handle it.  Prob his best works up until that point, and right when the watmm general consensus seemed to sour towards his work.  Ridiculous!

I agree, the modern bass guitar is probs my most listened track of his

both are great Albums.

Archived