IGNORED

will tom put out a good record ever again?

koolkeyZ865

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still a fan and have time for anything he puts out. I thought Damaging Furries was better than Ufabulous, but I agree with Gocab that I'd like it if the production on his recent recs didn't blast my ears with ultra-sparkly JO crystal harshness.

also I like using the last 30 seconds of Illegal Dustbin as morning alarm music.

i remember an interview from early 2000s and the person asked if he thought he'd run out of ideas or lose interest in electronic music or something like that.. and tom answered something like "i know music so can always mess about and come up with something" and i think about that in relation to some of his recent releases.. but i could totally have taken that bit out of context or misinterpreted his answer. obviously it could mean a million different things coming from him. i wish i could recall where the interview was?? look around a bit on the web couldn't find it. 

still hoping for that []pusher bleep store

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still hoping for a Damogen live versions album.

It's top 3 Squarepusher album for me and one of my favourite albums of this decade.

many of his solo sets from the DF tour were basically that album played in sequence... i'm sure you could find a decent full set on youtube or  mixcloud *cough*

wish the drums were less backgroundy and the thing not so screechy

I'll doubt it too, but come on - what's left to achive after "Port Rhumbus" or "Squarepusher theme"?!? It's like asking RDJ for something better than "Flim" or "Heliosphan (Live 1997)"!!!

We are just spoiled, we should try it ourselves, the field is left open.

I'm still hoping for a Damogen live versions album.

It's top 3 Squarepusher album for me and one of my favourite albums of this decade.

many of his solo sets from the DF tour were basically that album played in sequence... i'm sure you could find a decent full set on youtube or mixcloud *cough*

wish the drums were less backgroundy and the thing not so screechy

Yeah definitely.

Was at the Dekmantel gig, it was fucking incredible. Just a shame that the promise of his setup and his talk of editing on the fly didn't go as far as I hoped. Was expecting an EP of versions.

I guess i'm unclear on why Damogen Furies has gotten such negative criticism. Not because i like it and i'm self-centered, but because it's such a fundamentally Squarepusher sound, just based more on his dark/techno side rather than his bright/jazzy side. Isn't it 100% from scratch too? Like all the hardware and software used to make the sound was developed by Tom himself?

I guess the people complaining about modern squarepusher are the same people who want autechre to go back to the Amber era

hahaha, OMG - not even close!!! :D (IMHO anyway) ae has never been better than they are right now, in my view...

• 4 weeks later...

If he's as smart as his music leads me to think he is, that mask is about opening up the potential for some "passive income".  ie. go see a masked man you think is TJ mash some buttons and fist pump.  Since performing is where the money is at, outsource that shit. Then the  real TJ could stay home and make more chew-ins.  

Toms on a "god tier, life affirming, annoy my old lady un-apologetically" list for me.  If I don't get something he's released I blame myself.  I buy everything he puts out just as a means of ritual offering to the spirits of art.  Live long and write!!!   

Squarepusher problem is the same that all those mid 90's jungle and DnB producers faced after they ditched the funk and jazz samples, once that whole sound aesthetic got replaced by a synthetic production, the artist's shortcomings really got full exposure. In Squarepusher's case it's very evident, his horrible sound aesthetics were compensated by the samples or jazz influences along with the production tech and gear he used at the time which toned down the harshness and ear piercing frequencies, plus the terrible mixing. He also seems bankrupted when it comes to interesting ideas and melodies and his drums are total shit. So the answer is no.

Squarepusher problem is the same that all those mid 90's jungle and DnB producers faced after they ditched the funk and jazz samples, once that whole sound aesthetic got replaced by a synthetic production, the artist's shortcomings really got full exposure. In Squarepusher's case it's very evident, his horrible sound aesthetics were compensated by the samples or jazz influences along with the production tech and gear he used at the time which toned down the harshness and ear piercing frequencies, plus the terrible mixing. He also seems bankrupted when it comes to interesting ideas and melodies and his drums are total shit. So the answer is no.

lol.

41qMafasHuL._SY355_.jpg

Archived