IGNORED

will tom put out a good record ever again?

koolkeyZ865

Squarepusher problem is the same that all those mid 90's jungle and DnB producers faced after they ditched the funk and jazz samples, once that whole sound aesthetic got replaced by a synthetic production, the artist's shortcomings really got full exposure. In Squarepusher's case it's very evident, his horrible sound aesthetics were compensated by the samples or jazz influences along with the production tech and gear he used at the time which toned down the harshness and ear piercing frequencies, plus the terrible mixing. He also seems bankrupted when it comes to interesting ideas and melodies and his drums are total shit. So the answer is no.

lol.

41qMafasHuL._SY355_.jpg

double lol. 

cover_29561415102010.jpg

41k%2BG1tTNjL.jpg

129058-a.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultravisitor was the beginning of the end. Hello Everything and Numbers Lucent were the last records of worth he put out. 

Sorry if I don't speak autism but I don't get these "lol" posts when the records posted agree with my view point.

Except they completely invalidate your point, because they're examples of where Tom "ditched the funk and jazz samples", switched to "synethetic production", and they were fucking great albums.

Except they completely invalidate your point, because they're examples of where Tom "ditched the funk and jazz samples", switched to "synethetic production", and they were fucking great albums.

yeah.. exactly.. those albums are better than his early stuff imo.  feed me weird things, hard normal daddy are classics and there's some jams on them and at the time there was nothing like them but go plastic is an entirely different language. 

also, i'd say viewing his discography as something lumped in with "mid 90s jungle/dnb" producers is kind of false. sure.. he was doing some similar things here and there to that genre but was really on his own path and quite obviously was a different sort of musician with a different trajectory.  

funk/jazz samples makes me laugh btw.. since he was playing bass, using a 101, 303, x0x drum machine.. 

listen to feed me weird things and then listen to mid 90s dnb... just not the same thing. even when he did straight up dnb sounding tuff there's something else at work..

not trying to blow smoke up his ass but it's sort of like comparing  kenny g to frank zappa.  

Except he didn't.

Go Plastic is pretty much jungle taken to the extreme, where do you think these jungle breaks came from?

Selection 16 - old gear setup + jungle breaks

Ultravisitor is pure self indulgence, not many agree that this is a great release.

Music Is Rotted One Note - Jazz influence, Miles David

Hard Normal Daddy - Jazz influence, Weather Report

etc 

Synthetic production started with Ufabulum and continued to Damogen Furies and surely to whatever he puts out next after his revisionist period is over.

All my points are valid and contain no errors.

Except he didn't.

Go Plastic is pretty much jungle taken to the extreme, where do you think these jungle breaks came from?

Selection 16 - old gear setup + jungle breaks

Ultravisitor is pure self indulgence, not many agree that this is a great release.

Music Is Rotted One Note - Jazz influence, Miles David

Hard Normal Daddy - Jazz influence, Weather Report

etc 

Synthetic production started with Ufabulum and continued to Damogen Furies and surely to whatever he puts out next after his revisionist period is over.

you should run for president of the virgin islands

"Ultravisitor is pure self indulgence, not many agree that this is a great release."

But that's his best record. So much for having posts that contain no errors

The thought that pusher could come onto his own watmm subforum and see this at the top stresses me out :(

picturing this now. it's an lol.

(The Tom looking at the thread part of your statement. Not how it stresses you. That's not funny)

Archived