IGNORED

Hurricane Harvey

Extralife

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WATMM juju to the max

Extremely worried about Houston at the moment, I didn't think too much about it since I assumed that Harvey waters wouldn't be a terribly big deal since Houston is used to flooding. Turned out a lot worse than what I thought. Sending love & thoughts from San Antonio

i wouldn't be surprised if trump sees footage of harvey on the television and thinks he's watching a roland emmerich movie that the government made to entertain him and this tweet is just his review.

They're now calling Harvey a 500 year flood.  I worked a lot with City of Houston and CenterPoint, they have always planned for 100 year storms, the man-made bayou, etc.  but most of Houston sits in the flood plain, so it's well known that it can't handle this much storm drainage, especially as the population swelled after Katrina, and in the intervening years.  This is their second 100 year storm in 9 years, but the flooding seems even worse than Ike, which I went thru.  Miserable experience, and I've been thru several Florida hurricanes before that.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-trapped-500-flood-harvey-dumps-rain-texas-230400977.html

yeh hope you and the fam are doing well Joyrex!

Pres Manchild probably thinks all sides are to blame for this disaster too

Trump is totally anti-chocolate rain. Golden showers only.

They're now calling Harvey a 500 year flood.  I worked a lot with City of Houston and CenterPoint, they have always planned for 100 year storms, the man-made bayou, etc.  but most of Houston sits in the flood plain, so it's well known that it can't handle this much storm drainage, especially as the population swelled after Katrina, and in the intervening years.  This is their second 100 year storm in 9 years, but the flooding seems even worse than Ike, which I went thru.  Miserable experience, and I've been thru several Florida hurricanes before that.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-trapped-500-flood-harvey-dumps-rain-texas-230400977.html

I've always heard that the impervious coverage (concrete coverage on land) in Houston is quite extensive, especially since much of it was built before any kind of regulation was in place. Austin for example now has a 45% (IIRC, it's under 50%) max of coverage on new built residential lots.

So flooding is exacerbated by this. When rainfall hit's every square inch of concrete/asphalt/structure is another square inch of rain being runoff instead of absorbed by the ground. When trees and foliage is scrapped it's even more instability of the ground. Add the facts that Rubin mentioned, that Houston is a flat flood plain area that used to be a bayou, and it's obviously how so much is under water.

I have no idea how FEMA comes up with 100 vs 500 year floods because now it's no so much figuring out the frequency of such rainfall as it is mitigating how urbanized and developed this state is now. 

It is an absolute mess here.  Somehow we are hanging in there -- nobody can leave their neighborhoods.  Brazos river southwest of us is about to crest and they are now trying to evacuate people through this disaster.  

I heard something on the radio about how they've done 6,000 + helo rescues already. They have a waiting list for people already on their roofs prioritized by where they expect waters to rise versus where they have leveled off. 

My in laws are not flooded (they are in Spring, TX) but they are stuck. Local sheriffs are telling dipshits in big 4x4 jacked up trucks to stop driving around for no reason or they'll be arrested: the wake they create is actually making water go into some homes that are near the edge.

I'm under the impression most neighbors are blocked off in some manner even if they are no flooded. It's incredible seeing major highways under water. I really hope the any rain they get is far less than anticipated. 

Christ, I hope JR, Josh and the rest of you Tx watmm peeps are and continue to stay safe... this motherfucker's not even done yet!

As a civil/environmental engineer I do quite a bit of hydrology, flood assessment, etc. work here in the northeast, and the rainfall totals so far blow me away - I've read over 30 inches in some places, with more to come.  For contrast, the most we typically plan & design for around here is a 100-year event, which is around 8-9 inches over a 24-hr period, so this shit is biblical in comparison.  Saw the weather forecast this morning and the meteorologist described Harvey as "drawing from a near-infinite supply of moisture from the gulf" or something like that.

In laws lost power part of the day. They have been through Hurricanes Allison, Ike, and Rita. They've been cutoff before but this is the first time they have had water come up to their cul-de-sac. Water is getting pretty close to their porch which is crazy since they are the one of the highest houses in their neighborhood (they are in Spring, TX). They moved what they could upstairs. God forbid if it rises they'll evacuate and we'll pick them up from one of the centers on the West side of I-45. Thankfully National Guard and other assets are readily available - literally patrolling around. It's just really upsetting when theres nothing to do but wait and hope. One of my wife's friends lost her home. Many of our friends are stuck and waiting it out.

Its surreal because it actually cleared up in Austin today. I feel very fortunate to be unaffected.

Archived