IGNORED

Hurricane Harvey

Extralife

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they don't care because there will be lots of blue areas where people will be too busy getting their lives back together to vote. Like gerrymandering from the old testament god. 

So I sit here in Houston awaiting the deluge....listening to some Colours of Infinity at the moment. Strangely calm at the moment but won't be in a day or two. How are my other Texas WATMMers doing?

what's cooking hurricane h. my ex is in Texas. take in easy on her will you do your thing will ya?

All my exes live in Texas, that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee. 

I'm here in Louisiana (not south LA) just looking forward to the fucktons of rain we may get. Love the cool rainy windy stormy hurricane bits we often get this far inland. Energetic without all the actual tragedy and danger. All the best to you Texas folks who may get it bad! Hope you all stay safe and stocked with water and whisky and maybe some electricity.

edit: Wait Joyrex is in Houston-ish areas right? Might WATMM be effected if the hurricane tears down the internet there? Is that how this works????  :cerious:  ;)

I'm around 20 miles outside of Houston. No flooding, no damage, hardly lost electricity. Got lucky this time. WATMM servers are primarily located in New Jersey, with redundancy in other data centers around the world.

Sorry I didn't get online and let anyone know... I kinda enjoyed being disconnected from everything for awhile.

edit: Wait Joyrex is in Houston-ish areas right? Might WATMM be effected if the hurricane tears down the internet there? Is that how this works????  :cerious:  ;)

I think that the site is hosted overseas. Don't quote me on that tho

Nope, hosted in New Jersey, with redundancy overseas (I think). Didn't lose WATMM connectivity even when Sandy hit New Jersey. Datacenters are made to withstand this kind of stuff typically.

Interesting read on Houston's lack of urban planning and zoning:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/31/us/houston-harvey-flooding-urban-planning/index.html

I haven't even read this but I already know a factor.

Too much damn impervious coverage (concrete). Austin has something like a 45% (IIRC) limit on residential lots in town that have new houses built. Rest has to be natural ground of some sort. Even in better regulated/developed cities there remnants of concrete jungle from the 70s and 80s before restrictions were in place.

That's also why you usually see big ass retention ponds near giant malls, shopping centers, etc. even if more hilly and better drained areas. All that water has to go somewhere.

Lack of trees is another factor, which is ironic considering Abbot pushed hard to eliminate tree ordinances restricting the cutting down of large and heritage trees for development earlier this year. 

Everyone is freaking out about gas running out. There's been a delay in deliveries but it's being worsened by everyone freaking out and filling up their tanks over and over again instead of driving like normal. So now stations are running out faster because instead of normal routines everyone is going to get gas at once.

Just skirt the "E" folks. There's no need to panic.

I want to be cynical, I do. But, that's just badass.

Certain types of people will inevitably use this as a symbolic moment that demonstrates why America should defund more of their government institutions.

Cynical enough?

In 2038 when Hurricane Xander demolishes Topeka, Kansas, hillbilly hovercrafts will be critical in saving people from their flooded teleportation devices. Time is a flat circle.

Archived