IGNORED

Stars

zoix

Hey, 

What do you think about this one? 

Questions:

- is the bassline OK as it is? It's not the main element, but I'm afraid that it might be a bit boring. It's also side chained to give the kick more room, does it sound OK?

- enough interesting parts to keep the track going for the current length?

- enough percussion? I only have one ride and one closed hat going throughout the track.

https://soundcloud.com/zoixx/stars

Hey, 

Questions:

- is the bassline OK as it is? It's not the main element, but I'm afraid that it might be a bit boring. It's also side chained to give the kick more room, does it sound OK?

- enough percussion? I only have one ride and one closed hat going throughout the track.

Awesome!

Mix-wise it sounds pretty good. The snare could use a bit more impact though. Speaking of the snare... both snares you use sound a bit midi/keyboard-ish which is a shame because it doesn't match up with the organic sound of the choir. Seriously, a rimshot with some interesting bus channels attached to it would make it sound a lot more authentic. 

The structure could use a bit of work. The track just sort of starts and then goes on for two and half minute before there's an actual break and then it continues as if nothing had happened. I think there are some easy fixes to help you out of this. First of all, there's no reason to start out by using a ride in your drum loop. The ride shouldn't be introduced until the track peaks. I know it's a very different track, but check out Youngsta's track "Poseidon" and keep an eye/ear out for the ride. As soon as the ride is introduced it kinda ties the whole thing together and makes it easier for you to bob your head the track. So if I was you I would wait with the ride until you feel like your track needs that extra layer.

Also, the beat seems to loop quite a lot. If you think it's difficult to make varied beats in a piano roll then try and drum your fingers on your desk or whatever while your track plays. You'll notice that you're able to make a lot more interesting beats drumming with your fingers than you are when you're stuck using a piano roll. So listen to what your fingers do and then see if you can incorporate this into your beats.

Also, give the bass some room to breathe. It seems to go on and on. Make some breaks. Fiddle with the filter. Remove everything but the bass. All these silly tricks will help your track seem like it's constantly moving and evolving :)

I hope I'm making sense ;)

Hey,

Questions:

Awesome!

Mix-wise it sounds pretty good. The snare could use a bit more impact though. Speaking of the snare... both snares you use sound a bit midi/keyboard-ish which is a shame because it doesn't match up with the organic sound of the choir. Seriously, a rimshot with some interesting bus channels attached to it would make it sound a lot more authentic.

The structure could use a bit of work. The track just sort of starts and then goes on for two and half minute before there's an actual break and then it continues as if nothing had happened. I think there are some easy fixes to help you out of this. First of all, there's no reason to start out by using a ride in your drum loop. The ride shouldn't be introduced until the track peaks. I know it's a very different track, but check out Youngsta's track "Poseidon" and keep an eye/ear out for the ride. As soon as the ride is introduced it kinda ties the whole thing together and makes it easier for you to bob your head the track. So if I was you I would wait with the ride until you feel like your track needs that extra layer.

Also, the beat seems to loop quite a lot. If you think it's difficult to make varied beats in a piano roll then try and drum your fingers on your desk or whatever while your track plays. You'll notice that you're able to make a lot more interesting beats drumming with your fingers than you are when you're stuck using a piano roll. So listen to what your fingers do and then see if you can incorporate this into your beats.

Also, give the bass some room to breathe. It seems to go on and on. Make some breaks. Fiddle with the filter. Remove everything but the bass. All these silly tricks will help your track seem like it's constantly moving and evolving :)

I hope I'm making sense ;)

Tanks mate! Was hoping you would give some valuable feedback

Lot's of sense has been made!

I was going for this rolling beat without a break. Sort of relentless i thought. But i see what your mean and will look at the structure, working with some variation and taking out the bass.

Also look at a rimshot. I feel like a rimshot would not have enough impact though? Maybe with some effects.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Just layer the rimshot with something else and filter the hell out of it ;)

Ok thanks sir! Will get back with some updated version when time allows it ;p

Just listened to both versions in a row and there are definite improvements in ver 2. Rhythmically the drums are more interesting to listen to in a loop. Also waiting to introduce the hats/ride gives the track more of a peak. I really like the distortion happening in the voices/snare and feel it's a great part of the tracks identity.

Just listened to both versions in a row and there are definite improvements in ver 2. Rhythmically the drums are more interesting to listen to in a loop. Also waiting to introduce the hats/ride gives the track more of a peak. I really like the distortion happening in the voices/snare and feel it's a great part of the tracks identity.

Thanks mate!

Yeah the track needed some more work, i just couldn't hear it at first after working with it for so long.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Hey, 

Questions:

It would be cool with some ironic trap-influenced arpeggiaty stacatto parts popping around, maybe a lead voice sound? Love the mixing and sense of space!

Hey, 

Questions:

It would be cool with some ironic trap-influenced arpeggiaty stacatto parts popping around, maybe a lead voice sound? Love the mixing and sense of space!

Thanks! Do you have an example of what you mean? Also, did you listen to version 2?

I dig the atmospherics in this and would love to hear it with some vocal talking ... conversational samples being mixed in and out with delays. It has a dark vibe so it would be good to up the anxiety levels with the "voices in your head"

Aesthetic haha

That's actually not a bad idea, thanks!

Some voices added! Also little fiddling with the break and some voices in the end

https://soundcloud.com/zoixx/stars-ver3

Oooo dubsteppy and tasty! We like this one. Choir sounds are wicked, as is the space created inside the head. Those filtered & distorted noisey sounds coming in halfway through are very nice.

New version is cool, those creepy vocal cuts are a great addition - nice one Stickfigger. I do prefer how at the start the bassline is just slammed in on the first version though, with v3 the sequence is brought in partially and I think you lose some of that impact.

I'd add a piano-like melody (maybe arpeggiated, FM) to finish it off. Maybe mixed quite low volume. But that's just my taste, and you might lose some of the great eeriness by doing that.

Good work :biggrin:

Some voices added! Also little fiddling with the break and some voices in the end

https://soundcloud.com/zoixx/stars-ver3

Oooo dubsteppy and tasty! We like this one. Choir sounds are wicked, as is the space created inside the head. Those filtered & distorted noisey sounds coming in halfway through are very nice.

New version is cool, those creepy vocal cuts are a great addition - nice one Stickfigger. I do prefer how at the start the bassline is just slammed in on the first version though, with v3 the sequence is brought in partially and I think you lose some of that impact.

I'd add a piano-like melody (maybe arpeggiated, FM) to finish it off. Maybe mixed quite low volume. But that's just my taste, and you might lose some of the great eeriness by doing that.

Good work

Danke schön!

Ill think about the bassline. A piano might be viable, ill see what i can do.

Archived