IGNORED

Wolves in The Throne Room - Thrice Woven (19 Sep 17)

doublename

yljuGoM.jpg

https://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandcamp.com

Now, a portal into the dreamworld of Wolves in the Throne Room opens again with THRICE WOVEN. It is a glorious return to the blazing and furious Black Metal that they alone can create! 

The album begins with Born From the Serpent’s Eye a true thrashing black metal epic that is bisected with a haunting northern lament sung by Swedish star Anna von Hausswolff. The band worked with metal documentarians Peter Beste and Nico Poalillo to create a video for this track which captures a bonfire-lit performance in the forest near their Olympia compound. 

The Old Ones Are With Us opens with the crackling of a fire and the voice of Steve Von Till (Neurosis) invoking the springtime thaw. It then storms into a dirge inspired by 90’s Finnish doom with lyrics that celebrate Imbolc, the holy day which marks the end of winter and the first stirrings of spring. 

Figures from Norse mythology intertwine with personal heartbreak and rebirth in the bleak Angrboda. The song is named after a frost giantess who birthed Fenris Wolf, a beast who was destined to destroy the world and murder the gods. Fenris Wolf also appears on the cover of THRICE WOVEN in a painting by Russian occult artist Denis Forkas. Forkas’ obscure medieval painting techniques perfectly compliment the music of Wolves in the Throne Room. 

A raven’s wings stir the air in the interlude Mother Owl, Father Ocean. Anna von Hausswolff returns in a duet with Turkish harpist Zeynep Oyku. Forlorn industrial atmospheres haunt the mix. Hausswolff’s lyrics, sung in Swedish, echo over a barren grey seascape. 

Fires Roar in the Palace of the Moon is the classic Cascadian Black Metal epic. The third eye opens to see holy rivers being born from the ice on the tallest peaks. The lyrics offer blessings to the waters of the earth as they flow from the high places to the source of darkness, the ocean.

Finally saw them live two weeks ago and was pleasently suprised, really dug it. Might even get around to listening this!

Watched them a number of years ago at a ATP gig in London. I'm pretty lightweight with weed but I was gliding along that perfect wave of a fair few beers and just a few tokes. Me and two mates both had fresh cold pints of crap beer (which was perfect for the thirst quenching job) and just sort of stumbled into their set. One of the best live experiences I ever had tbh. Just remember being fairly mesmerised (and probably drooling a little). Loads of space and sound. I think there was only a couple of hundred folks watching them. 

The magic is gone.

They've been nowhere near as good since their first 2 albums but I'll still listen to this.

I messaged them on Fb to ask if there will be an EU distributor and they said they're opening a Euro shop at least.

The magic is gone.

They've been nowhere near as good since their first 2 albums but I'll still listen to this.

I messaged them on Fb to ask if there will be an EU distributor and they said they're opening a Euro shop at least.

Whatever just glad they came back.

looking forward to this.

they done a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnLTFeiXiiA

two hunters is still the best

agreed, it's the sort of record I could legitimately apply the word "transcendental" to. I don't put it on a lot because I don't want the effect to be blunted but whenever I do it's completely captivating from start to finish.

The magic is gone.

Yeah I kinda agree.  I'm not really feeling the revealed tracks, but glad they're back to straight metal.  IMO, Black Cascade is their best, and one of the best black metal albums ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a dream a few nights ago that I was playing live in a BM band and the sound was absolutely glorious and transcendental and life-altering. it might have been inspired by this.

Archived