IGNORED

John Maus - Screen Memories

DavieAddison

He just played at the MoMa PS1 in Long Island city. He was scheduled for a 30 minute set but came on for a little less than 20. He played about 4 songs. Crowd went nuts when he left and kept chanting his name when he ran off the stage at the end of his last song "...And The Rain". Amazing set. Here's my video from last week:

Very excited to see another album by the guy.

Edited by WhitleyStriber

He is my fav. artist of all time , and gave me so much inspiration , amazing human beeing !
new song & Video is ethereal

Edited by Kavinsky

Really excited! I love John Maus too, can't wait to hear this - the new track is real nice.

Also, did anyone check out this funny little skit that was uploaded a few weeks back? The editing is e u p h o r i c :

very AS show-esque

cant believe is say this but its a bit of a letdown. From 12 tracks 6 are really amazing but the other 6 are weak and boring they sound like loops with the same lyrics over and over, very plain compared to his discography.

I was expecting much more epicness like The Combine !

Edited by Kavinsky

I saw this dude live last night and he was really hyper. I hadn't even listened to him much before the show but I was totally pumped from start to finish. 

I saw this dude live last night and he was really hyper. I hadn't even listened to him much before the show but I was totally pumped from start to finish. 

amazing ! how long did he played ?

• 4 weeks later...

amazing ! how long did he played ?

I don’t remember how long exactly, but the weird thing was that he was the opener for Protomartyr, who were much less exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well well that was a great album. Always been a little wary of this guy because of the heaps of critical over-analysis and lauding he's received (his wiki article is hilariously long - it's a shame many other hauntology acts haven't had such wordsmiths write articles) but it's nonetheless delightful hypnagogic pop. Really hit the spot for me, more so than a lot of his peer Ariel Pink who I've skimmed over the years...(except that EP with Weyes Blood, including this bizarre gem) kind of feel that John Maus' pacing of album releases is a big factor to making such a cohesive album.

Not exactly sure how to describe this element exactly, but I love the reverb / echo that is applied throughout the album. It's on plenty of tracks but for me "Find Out" is one of my favs that has this overtone "shimmer" to it in the background along with these haunting harmonics. 

Love it. I know it's a few days late now but this is an excellent Halloween album. Perfect for putting on and staring at a jack-o'-lantern. I get Kraftwerk vibes from his vocal style.