IGNORED

Budget Eurorack Build

sheatheman

Spare me the "you're gonna want room to grow/modular is a slippery slope" comments. This is just hypothetical.

What I want to know is how much would a single row synth voice cost if it was built with used and or cheap brands. A couple different oscillators, maybe a complex one and a simple one (recently used this nice sine one that's great for kicks), maybe a sequencer, a couple vcas, a filter, a mixer, and maybe an effect. Probably impossible to do it for under $1k?

I am also interested. The only thing I'm sure of is at least one Shelves.

Although it sounds like what I want is weirder... I'm thinking of using LFOs to create sequences, I want waveshaping, logic, clock division, probably a CV delay, a mixer or two, etc.

Not at all impossible.  Check out Non-Linear Circuits, Ladik, Animodule, Pusherman group buy on facebook that has tons of cheap PCBs+Panels available for MI and other open source stuff.  Modular Addict has become an amazing resource stateside for access to lots of different manufacturers DIY parts/kits.  DIY Eurorack Noob  + the Muff Wigglers Music Tech DIY forum are great resources for learning/help. And that is just a short list for starters.

How nice of a case do you want? I just cut a piece of 1x8 in 1/2 to be tall enough for 12u and have 1x2 runners across the back holding the distro boards.  I'll enclose it eventually but it's not necessary with is sitting in my studio all the time.   I wouldn't skimp on power, but there are nice kits available so you can still save.

Extra savings on shipping by purchasing parts in bulk.

As an example you can build a MI Braids for about $160 or so depending on the knobs you source and a few other things.  That's vs roughly $250-$300 avg for used module or $400 brand new.

You'll probably put some money into equipment like a hot air station that's super handy for reworking SMD stuff/ ICs, a decent iron if you don't have one, wick, flux pen, 3rd hand, etc...

I know I've shown it a few times around here, but this is 6u x 104hp and I'm ~$2500 deep vs about ~$4500 if I had purchased all new 

Large picture warning

42kV99k.jpg?1

Modular Grid mock up:
modulargrid_366694.jpg

Not at all impossible. Check out Non-Linear Circuits, Ladik, Animodule, Pusherman group buy on facebook that has tons of cheap PCBs+Panels available for MI stuff. Modular Addict has become an amazing resource stateside for access to DIY parts/kits. DIY Eurorack Noob + the Muff Wigglers Music Tech DIY forum are great resources for learning/help. And that is just a short list for starters.

How nice of a case do you want? I just cut a piece of 1x8 in 1/2 to be tall enough for 12u and have 1x2 runners across the back holding the distro boards. I'll enclose it eventually but it's not necessary with is sitting in my studio all the time. I wouldn't skimp on power, but there are nice kits available so you can still save.

Extra savings on shipping by purchasing parts in bulk.

As an example you can build a MI Braids for about $160 or so depending on the knobs you source and a few other things. That's vs roughly $250-$300 avg for used module or $400 brand new.

I know I've shown it a few times around here, but this is 6u x 104hp and I'm ~$2500 deep vs about ~$4500 if I had purchased all new

Large picture warning

42kV99k.jpg?1

Modular Grid mock up:

modulargrid_366694.jpg

That sounds great. It sounds like you need to be pretty handy to get the big savings, though, and you also need some tools which in turn cost money. I'm barely passable at soldering but I haven't the foggiest where to get a scope, nor how to use it to debug the circuits. Furthermore, I've been slightly terrified of saws since my old man damn near cut his foot off with a circular saw when he was my age.

That said I do like the idea of kits. I'm just afraid I'll fuck them up. To this day I believe my begging for help on the MI forum was a factor in Olivier's decision to get away from kits, lol.

under $1k would be tough unless you are patient and buy used and you get a happy ending kit to house it all. 

there are certainly ways to smartly patch up complex things w/a small /smart choice of modules. 

depending on what kinds of sounds you want will really help in determining oscillator selection.  I've changed some minds in the shop (modular8) by patching up the malekko/richter anit-oscillator and Oscillator II in various ways. mostly people who were thinking they had to have a complex oscillator but discovered the flexilbiilty and control of 2 well sppointed analog oscillators can get it done. add a wavefolder and a low pass gate and you're good. 

you can find many worthy analog oscillators used for $150-$170.   for FM you shold have a tri-core oscillator and something to modulate it that has a nice sine... which is why the anit/oscII work really well.. but i've seen the bubblesound VCOb used for peanuts and it's a great osc imo. 

if you want a complex monosynth then get 2 osc, a filter, lowpass gate, modulator (LFO/envelope) or ya know.. a maths.. but the makenoise function is really good imo. 

check the bst forum at muffwigglers and also the FB group for modular sales. there's stupid deals there. people selling MKI of a module for cheap because the MKII version came out and has maybe one more feature or something.. 

i've seen makenoise functions for $120, optomix v1 for $120.. and all kinds of good analog VCOs for under $200. 

but.. do some research on what modules interest you then start narrowing down your options. i'm happy ramble in this thread about modular stuff.  

For what it's worth, my friend next door has been getting into Eurorack, and by buying secondhand and sticking to good but not trendy modules (lots of Doepfer and Synthrotek stuff so far) he hasn't paid more than $50 for one yet and it sounds good to me.

modulargrid_366694.jpg

Thanks for this sweet pic also, do you have the link to the modulargrid page?  The narrow stuff on the bottom row doesn't look familiar and I can't read the names clearly enough to google it.

Specifically I was curious about the one w/ the rainbow lights and the blue one w/ the star shapes on it.

Was gonna say I think you could easily do it w/ second hand Doepfer modules.

OH yeah, his other trick has been buying DIY builds second hand, which is a risky prospect but so far he hasn't had any bad experiences and it thas saved him a lot of money, because nobody wants to pay much for secondhand DIY.

Let's see...  For a basic pretty good monosynth...

2x A-110-2 VCO

A-184-1 ring mod / sample + hold / slew limiter

A-118 noise generator

A-138 mixer

A-106-5 smooth multimode filter

A-124 nasty multimode filter

2x A-140 ADSR envelope generator

A-132-3 dual VCA

2x A-180 multiples

According to ModularGrid, that comes to €955 plus the cost of a cheap 3U case.  These modules should be pretty easy to get second hand, too.

Two ADSR envelope generators and two filters is a bit of a luxury, so you could swap some of these out for e.g. an LFO, or a spring reverb, as you wanted an effect.

Two VCOs with the right inputs give you oscillator sync.  You've also got ring mod.  Noise, a VCO and S+H gives you that Fenix Funk 5 noise if you're so inclined (though you could do with something besides the EGs to sweep the oscillator with).  Two independent ADSR envelope generators are good for separate VCA and filter envelope generation, good for acidlines etc., though you might want to swap one of them out for a voltage controlled decay.  The dual VCAs, multiples and second filter CV inputs mean that you can make velocity sensitive patches, so you can really get expressive.  It should act reasonably close to, say, an SH-101 or MS-20, but sound more like an SEM or Wasp.

Of course, I'm biased, and what I'd use a synth for aren't what others might, especially in the Eurorack scene.

modulargrid_502713.jpg?1504104701

If you can solder, then there are similar systems you can build from DIY kits, such as the Frequency Central one (System 100M clones etc).

You'll still need a way to get notes into them, such as a MIDI to CV converter, Expert Sleepers Silent Way, or even an MC-4 if you're a masochist... :)

I've had up to 9u and a bit, but currently have 3u of choice modules and Expert Sleepers ES6 w/Reaktor blocks, and couldn't be happier.  But I've always felt comfortable with hybrid setups in any case.  Oscillator, filter and ES6 would set you back less than 1k and give a lot of options.  

modulargrid_366694.jpg

Thanks for this sweet pic also, do you have the link to the modulargrid page?  The narrow stuff on the bottom row doesn't look familiar and I can't read the names clearly enough to google it.

Specifically I was curious about the one w/ the rainbow lights and the blue one w/ the star shapes on it.

DOBOZ Prizma sequencer and Meng Qi DPLPG respectively - link to my rack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/342576

Building can be intimidating for sure, but it's really not that difficult with all of the resources available.  Sure I've put maybe $200 into tools for this, but that's the kind of guy I am - I brew my own beer, I've restored cars, I've worked as a butcher. I like to build things and know how/why they work.  

I've definitely fucked up my share of things.  My first SMD/euro module build was to attempt Clouds (one of the more difficult MI builds I learned after the fact)  I destroyed the first PCB trying to rework the STM w/o a hot air station by lifting some pads and fucked up the legs of the IC.  Lessons learned and a relatively cheap one costing me ~$25 in parts.

Sourcing and figuring out comparable parts when Mouser is out of stock and things like that were my biggest hurdles, but it just took patience to read data sheets and research.

It's not for everyone, but it's quite rewarding.

There are also modules which are basically a semimodular monosynth in eurorack format (e.g. MFB Nanozwerg Pro for 250 euro). Of course the architecture is partially fixed but it might be a good starting point.

Obviously, use modulargrid.net and make a 84/104hp 1 row skiff.

Then I'd sort modules by HP. Small voices include Erica, Pico, Tip top one, Dixie ... throw a disting mk4 and you are done.

DOBOZ Prizma sequencer and Meng Qi DPLPG respectively - link to my rack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/342576

Building can be intimidating for sure, but it's really not that difficult with all of the resources available.  Sure I've put maybe $200 into tools for this, but that's the kind of guy I am - I brew my own beer, I've restored cars, I've worked as a butcher. I like to build things and know how/why they work.  

I've definitely fucked up my share of things.  My first SMD/euro module build was to attempt Clouds (one of the more difficult MI builds I learned after the fact)  I destroyed the first PCB trying to rework the STM w/o a hot air station by lifting some pads and fucked up the legs of the IC.  Lessons learned and a relatively cheap one costing me ~$25 in parts.

Sourcing and figuring out comparable parts when Mouser is out of stock and things like that were my biggest hurdles, but it just took patience to read data sheets and research.

It's not for everyone, but it's quite rewarding.

Wow, those both look great. I could see the Prizma getting tedious to use with all the menus but I bet you can go pretty quick on it once you get into the flow. I started looking at some of Meng Qi's other stuff and a lot of that looks great too - especially that Arcade Manifold, I just love the aesthetics and it looks fun to bash those arcade controls.

Yeah I don't think I would DIY everything but I'm warming up to the idea of doing it strategically. Also there seems to be a world of small but imminently useful modules I'm barely aware of - really just knew about the Disting and a couple MI and Bastl offerings before today.

Oh, my friend who's doing this was over last night and he's been having good luck with the old Pittsburgh Modular stuff, it's not fashionable so it goes for peanuts secondhand, and what he has right now sounds perfectly fine to me.  He's mostly using them for utility stuff like mults and things but he has a filter (I forget which) and a buffered output module since he plays live a lot and needs to make patching straight to an unfamiliar PA as easy as possible, and I haven't noticed anything objectionable.  Apparently some people think they're noisy but maybe that depends on the power supply, I forget what he's using but it's a pretty nice one.

But yeah, they are common and work and cheap secondhand so that's one to consider.

just came across a youtuber making some beautiful modular ambient drones...curious if anyone has any idea roughly how much moneys worth this set up looks like? seems she's put a hefty amount in (ignore the controllers, just the case)

don't mean to hijack the thread, but curious to hear the range in prices some people put into these things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ955t3thyE

Could easily be 2-2.5k

interesting...guess if you were a moderate hardware owner and priced out each synth/machine/pedal you owned it'd come close to that, but seems like you would really want to know what sort of music you want to make before going down that rabbit hole, and at that you may be restricted as to the range in styles you can produce (maybe being a little ignorant here)

that being said having a rig like that seems so romantic and tantilising, like a large easel where you can conjur forms and expressions and dial into another world...shame it costs so much tho :catcry:

With an ER301 and morphagene in there you're well over a grand just with 2 modules.  Add in another grand for the MI modules and you're probably closer to £3k overall. 

Guest Chesney

Plus... each module is only part of a synth i.e. osc/filter/env/LFO etc or an effect so while you have totally routing flexibility it still only equates to quite a minimal setup regarding timbre. Sure, you can make endless different "bleeps" and they can be be spat out any which way but if you only have one set of each building block i.e. oscillator etc all your stuff will be of that timbre.

That's why people get sucked in, they need more flavour!

Like you would with a monosynth, you'd possibly get bored using it for everything and you'd end up with a very samey sound overall, this would be the same with a small modular setup based on basic synth elements albeit much more flexible routing wise.

Modular setups (for me) are more interesting having the possibility to mix very different ideas/takes on the same building block whereas, you can't do that so much with hardwired synths. Also controlling and affecting/effecting standard synths would be a pull for me too.

I think to get really interesting, you'd definitely need at least a couple of types of similar modules and some interesting sequencing ideas orther wise you're not not going to get much past the capabilities of a really decent monosynth like a CS30.

I think people forget that when they make odd bleeps and bloops on modular setups that some hardwired synth can do just as weird.

I mean, I agree kind of, but these digital osc these days are so versatile. I'd say the filter is what really makes something samey. And it's so easy to get a few different filters, exponentially increasing your sound palate.

Archived