IGNORED

Justifying My Existence Every Single Day (Dark, analogue, modular)

ZoeB

My first Ableton Live track.  Featuring spring reverb, sample and hold, ring mod, etc.  Constructive criticism always welcome.  I can't do much more about the background noise until I move my spring reverb tank though!  (I already notched most of it out with an EQ.)

Pretty cool! I fucking suck at using Ableton so the fact that people are able to arrange track in that program is still mindblowing to me ;)

My only criticism is probably the mix. Every instrument seems extremely loud. I first noticed it on the modular snare sound you've made. It's almost as if all the instruments are trying to push each other out of their way to get in front of the mix. So maybe just start out by dialing back some of the instruments and the rest will follow :)

I use ableton as well. I don't think the DAW matters much at all, just as long as you know how to use it effectively. That's part of why I've stuck with Ableton for so long now.

This is quite nice. I can't seem to relate to the mood of the melodies at the moment, but it does sound good.

Other than some more dynamic range between the sounds, as already mentioned by Squee, you could try to utilize the background noise instead of trying to notch them out with EQ. Try using a flange or chorus of some sort on the frequencies you notched instead of dropping them. Have the resulting volume of it post-fx quieter than the other sounds in the mix. See if you like it better. EDIT: The only thing it might clash with is the HF percussive sounds, which you can just sidechain.

Like everything except the strings patch(the one starting at the very beginning,a bit cheesy for me)

Some lush melodies.Nice delays.

Nice structure with alternating synths and synths in imitation.The 1:40 melody is especially lush.

Nice! Nice! Nice!

My first Ableton Live track.  Featuring spring reverb, sample and hold, ring mod, etc.  Constructive criticism always welcome.  I can't do much more about the background noise until I move my spring reverb tank though!  (I already notched most of it out with an EQ.)

Reminds me of a medieval game! It has a video game vibe to me, but almost in an ironic way. Really nice tones to everything, charmingly minimal but full and rich, very nice bridge melody and mode change.

• 3 months later...

this is really cool! the main melodies are catchy, the strings sound pretty, and all of the sections flow into each other quite well. the only problem i noticed was that the crash is way too loud (imo). keep up the good work!

• 3 months later...

Like everything except the strings patch(the one starting at the very beginning,a bit cheesy for me)

I love the drums and most of the sounds except, as fxbip mentioned, those strings.

Top constructive criticism, cheers!  I've finally got around to updating this one, with another custom patch on the modular replacing Ableton Live's orchestral string samples.  Is

this better?  It's certainly more consistent.  (I also replaced the spring reverb with a digital reverb, which is probably more sensible for the main mix, as a much-used send.)

Archived