IGNORED

I don't believe this! Aphex repackaged and sold on vinyl :|

eggtimer

So I'm trawling through bandcamp checking bits and pieces out ... and I hear something similar on a release.

This is basically (literally) IZ-US slowed down. Not a bad days work to rip and then push the music at $21 a go. 

https://haircutsformen.bandcamp.com/track/--30

'we are the music takers' it seems

Slowing music down: Vaporwave
Speeding music up: Nightcore

Welcome to the !currentyear

Nah, for real though, this is shameless indeed, pretty much no editing. Giving it away for free is already dubious, let alone actually pressing it up and asking good money for it?

Then again, this is pretty common in vaporwave isn't it? 

My Pioneer decks do +/- 50%, have been experimenting with playing stuff really slow lately and a lot of IDM / drum&bass sounds pretty cool. 

No way I would repackage and sell on though - jeez thats cheeky / illegal.

The threads aren't the same at all. This is a pitched down aphex twin track, those tracks were more "inspired by".

Yeah, there's some real fucking laziness in vaporwave, and this is one of the worst examples. It's not even slowed down enough to make it sound notably different, like the 2047 'Snow' album (which was huge sections of Solar Fields tracks just slowed down, but they were slowed down quite a bit and the effect was quite different - I actually preferred them like that, ha). Had no idea this had been put on vinyl though. Ridiculous!

who cares?

:cerious:

uhh...lots of people?

i'm sure HFM knows we know it's afx, I don't think they're trying to hide it or anything. but selling this on vinyl is wrong. 

Giving it away as digital is equally as wrong too though?

My Pioneer decks do +/- 50%, have been experimenting with playing stuff really slow lately and a lot of IDM / drum&bass sounds pretty cool. 

No way I would repackage and sell on though - jeez thats cheeky / illegal.

Yah, man.  It's prolly the exact method that jungle and drum n bass was born from.  Changing speed and/or pitch is a great experimental method.

YAH SO, sort of related this whole pirating debate...  One thing I did wonder, is why IDM-esque stuff is so infrequently sampled, in the IDM-esque genres.  Like it's totally cool to sample James Brown for some reason, but if I sample and slow down just a bit of Aphex Twin's 4 in my own track and loop it, it'd sound like a cheap steal.  I dunno.  Maybe we all need to sample each other more.

But selling someone's slowed down track on vinyl is...  Lazy at best.

YAH SO, sort of related this whole pirating debate...  One thing I did wonder, is why IDM-esque stuff is so infrequently sampled, in the IDM-esque genres.  Like it's totally cool to sample James Brown for some reason, but if I sample and slow down just a bit of Aphex Twin's 4 in my own track and loop it, it'd sound like a cheap steal.  I dunno.  Maybe we all need to sample each other more.

Recontextualisation is key.

Even before I entered the thread, I knew this would be a Vaporwave release.

There's tonnes of this sort of stuff out there. I mean listen to this: https://catsystemcorp.bandcamp.com/album/sandrawave

It's literally Sandra tracks slowed down and a few filter sweeps on some tracks.

This kind of stuff is great for personal bootlegs/dj sets etc... But reselling it as your own is crude as fuck IMO.

YAH SO, sort of related this whole pirating debate... One thing I did wonder, is why IDM-esque stuff is so infrequently sampled, in the IDM-esque genres. Like it's totally cool to sample James Brown for some reason, but if I sample and slow down just a bit of Aphex Twin's 4 in my own track and loop it, it'd sound like a cheap steal. I dunno. Maybe we all need to sample each other more.

Word~

Even before I entered the thread, I knew this would be a Vaporwave release.

There's tonnes of this sort of stuff out there. I mean listen to this: https://catsystemcorp.bandcamp.com/album/sandrawave

It's literally Sandra tracks slowed down and a few filter sweeps on some tracks.

This kind of stuff is great for personal bootlegs/dj sets etc... But reselling it as your own is crude as fuck IMO.

Sandra Bullock's jungle was prolly her best period, though.

Thing is, vaporwave can be great when it takes a snippet of old music and recontextualises it as a strange, woozy, slightly eerie looped bit of madness and unsettling nostalgia. Making a handful of tapes of that stuff is fine. But when it's just a full song, or a huge chunk of a song, slowed down a little bit, and then pressed to vinyl, then it's bad on every level. And frankly I can't imagine how anyone could gain any satisfaction from doing it. I mean if someone says they like it, how do you even take that? "Thanks, I'm really proud of that track". 

It's not just that, the record manufacturers themselves can face legal action if they knowingly press bootlegs/vinyl that infringes copyright. Companies like GEMA/BIEM exist for exactly this purpose.

I've done it myself with an older vinyl label I used to run about 10 years ago (though ours were just using unlicensed samples to create new tracks, rather than a full on copy/paste job with pitch shift) and honestly, it's not worth the hassle any more. Most record stores won't stock them anyway, though selling direct on Bandcamp is one way around it I suppose.

As you say, the real crime is just how creatively lazy it is. At least cut the tracks up and do some interesting edits with them. It's an insult against sampling to just pitch it down and call it done.

Yeah, there's some real fucking laziness in vaporwave, and this is one of the worst examples. It's not even slowed down enough to make it sound notably different, like the 2047 'Snow' album (which was huge sections of Solar Fields tracks just slowed down, but they were slowed down quite a bit and the effect was quite different - I actually preferred them like that, ha). Had no idea this had been put on vinyl though. Ridiculous!

First thing I thought of. I think that actually got some blowback. This deserves the same.

exactly - it's a subtle difference and subjective as hell but context is everything.

there's a sort of canon of what's expected to be sampled, something that doesn't fit that just seems "wrong" - and stuff that most deem lazy or cheap to sample - like this Aphex Twin track - I would say it would be cool to sample if it was utilized in a unique or clever way. in other words it demands a higher standard in how it's flipped.

This also samples Aphex Twin and it's completely opposite in effect. This is sincere and beautiful.

vaporwave was once this way - eccojams and floral shoppe had hefty samples but they were chopped up, flipped, and often unexpected sources - prime fodder included deep cuts of 80s pop, new age, muzak, cheezy jazz from the early 90s, JP city pop and OST music, etc. - but releases like this water down and cheapen it a lot. 

As you say, the real crime is just how creatively lazy it is. At least cut the tracks up and do some interesting edits with them. It's an insult against sampling to just pitch it down and call it done.

this - it's a fine line sometimes but there is a line between good sampling and bad sampling

This... at least make a half-assed attempt to advance the art. If you don't know how to flip a sample creatively but you want to collect and arrange other people's tracks, do DJ a type mix, label it as such, and give credit where credit's due.

I interpret "great artists steal" as: great artists take other people's existing ideas and, yes, recontextualize or synthesize them in a way that it creates a truly new thing. This ain't it.

Archived