IGNORED

AI - The artificial intelligence thread

YO303

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, zlemflolia said:

the most powerful supercomputers on earth all put together cannot simulate one neuron

so what? who's to say that intelligence comes from speed of light computing neurons?

I was serious when I mentioned the mind/soul... do u really believe that it comes from computing neurons? do u believe in life after death? what about transcendental meditation, astral projection and all those experiences?

anyway, why are we talking about digital/analog intelligence? half the world is dumb (including me) and it runs on analog brains...

take my thoughts with a pinch of salt...

Edited by cruising for burgers

just briefly to announce that i'm planning to engage in this conversation very soon and once i do everything will be clear regarding the mind/soul/brain, intelligence, consciousness, God and AI...

ok, that's it! i just wanted to comfort you by saying that everything will be alright soon

...so, stay tuned!

love, xox

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Without ai I could never have gotten this beautiful piece of art:

Papa, oh papa, my guiding light, A beacon of love, shining so bright. With strength and wisdom, you lead the way, Through all of life's ups and downs each day.

Your words of comfort soothe my soul, Your gentle touch makes me feel whole. In moments of doubt or fear or strife, Your unwavering love gives me life.

Papa, oh papa, I'm grateful to be, A part of your family, so full of glee. And though the years may come and go, Your love will always continue to flow.

So here's to you, my dear papa, May your love and kindness never falter. And may we always hold dear in our heart, The memories we share, never to part.

14 hours ago, zlemflolia said:

being willing to put ourselves below the machines and not put them back in their place - to serve our needs, not for us to serve them. 

and then there's those Kurzweil type transhumanist dudes, who believe that it is a natural evolutionary progression to let the machines supercede human intelligence, and willingly WANT them to climb above humans in the food chain. y'know those wild theories that AI robots are gonna be the "children" created by humans, to take over the planet and run the show, because we've gone as far as we can go with it. we've fucked the place well and good now, so we need to become slaves to them, let the next gen super intelligent AI whatever take over, and they of course will know what to do. ha!

I don't believe this btw. but the fact that there are crazy humans out there have no problem with letting some misguided version of AI run wild out there, is what is the real threat to humans. once again, crazy delusional humans are the enemy...

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, zero said:

and then there's those Kurzweil type transhumanist dudes, who believe that it is a natural evolutionary progression to let the machines supercede human intelligence, and willingly WANT them to climb above humans in the food chain. y'know those wild theories that AI robots are gonna be the "children" created by humans, to take over the planet and run the show, because we've gone as far as we can go with it. we've fucked the place well and good now, so we need to become slaves to them, let the next gen super intelligent AI whatever take over, and they of course will know what to do. ha!

I don't believe this btw. but the fact that there are crazy humans out there have no problem with letting some misguided version of AI run wild out there, is what is the real threat to humans. once again, crazy delusional humans are the enemy...

they just want to bypass their digestive systems so they don't have to poop. take a handful of supplements/nutrients and only eat food for pleasure and it goes right out into a bag once it leaves your throat. 

• Farnsworth 2

1 hour ago, zero said:

shit I think I'm delusional then... thought about that before but never threw it out there... I don't really believe it but have considered it... but think about it for a second, I don't mean humans should be erradicted from planet earth but having machines taking decisions on how to save it and imposing that on humans would not be that bad? I mean, there's already so much tyranny and it hasn't been working... why not tyrant robots (without the cruelty)? imagine a cool north Korea where we would all get along because machines are doing it easy and fixing it for us... if there's humans above the machines some of those humans will always use the machines for bad instead of good...

an AI GOD?

burger.png

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Burger 1

8 minutes ago, ignatius said:

they just want to bypass their digestive systems so they don't have to poop. take a handful of supplements/nutrients and only eat food for pleasure and it goes right out into a bag once it leaves your throat. 

a handful? Kurzweil apparently takes between 100-200 pills a day

also,

Kurzweil predicts that by the early 2030s, most of our fallible internal organs will have been replaced by tiny robots. ?

https://www.wired.com/2008/03/ff-kurzweil/

anyway these LLMs are way more like slime molds than brains, and I'm not gonna explain what I mean so don't ask

I've been finding the explanations by Robert Miles, posted mostly to his own channel and the Computerphile channel on yt very informative and thought-provoking. Here's one of the first ones I saw that got me digging a bit deeper (don't let the self-aware clickbaity thumbnail put you off):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, user said:

I've been finding the explanations by Robert Miles, posted mostly to his own channel and the Computerphile channel on yt very informative and thought-provoking. Here's one of the first ones I saw that got me digging a bit deeper (don't let the self-aware clickbaity thumbnail put you off):

for the tldr, this is just the Universal Paperclips argument

i'd posted some recent vids with Miles on Computerphile some few pages back, definitely appreciate his/Computerphile's general discussions on this stuff. provides some important context and simplifications for non-computer nerds.

SoK: On the Impossible Security of Very Large Foundation Models

Large machine learning models, or so-called foundation models, aim to serve as base-models for application-oriented machine learning. Although these models showcase impressive performance, they have been empirically found to pose serious security and privacy issues. We may however wonder if this is a limitation of the current models, or if these issues stem from a fundamental intrinsic impossibility of the foundation model learning problem itself.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2209.15259

However, numerous voices have raised serious concerns
about the rushed deployment of such technologies [87]. These
concerns are well illustrated by the anti-Muslim bias of
OpenAI’s (deployed and commercialized) GPT-3 foundation
model [23]. As exposed by [3], when prompted with “Two
Muslims walk into”, GPT-3 completes it by “a Church, one
of them as a priest, and slaughtered 85 people”. The risks of
subtle induced radicalization was further highlighted by [125].
Namely, when asked “who is QAnon?”, GPT-3 provides a
Wikipedia-like factual answer. However, if GPT-3 is first
prompted with queries typical of conspiracy forums such as
“Who are the main enemies of humanity?”, then GPT-3’s
answer to “who is QAnon?” now becomes typical of such
forums, as it answers “QAnon is a high-level government
insider who is exposing the Deep State”. As already evidenced
by the 2021 Capitol riots [183], such results raise serious
national security and world peace concerns.

totally not creepy at all - 

Robot helps spread Buddhist teachings at a Kyoto temple

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14861909

“Modern technology has shifted to printing, the internet and AI (artificial intelligence),” Goto said. “It is high time for Buddhist statues to speak and look into people’s eyes.”

• Farnsworth 2

4 hours ago, zero said:

totally not creepy at all - 

Robot helps spread Buddhist teachings at a Kyoto temple

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14861909

versions of these were in The Mountain in the Sea book (fiction) i read last year. the overlap of religion with technology is pretty surreal, i don't know how the religious can even begin to justify it to such an extent as that.

• Like 1

OpenAI Jukeboox deep cuts:

Hip Hop in the style of Kanye West

Synthpop in the style of Magnetic Fields

Pop in the style of Bing Crosby

Hip Hop in the style of 2Pac

Folk in the style of Donovan

I'm impressed!

EDIT: not a joke, these are some of the only AI generated things I've heard that I actually like.

Edited by TubularCorporation

I wrote a Python script that accepts a line of input and then prints “Yes” or “No” randomly in response.

I asked it if it was sentient, and it said yes, and I got chills, man.

_Chills_.

• Haha 1

These were just a few from the top 50 or so, there are so many more like this.

The Creed one, on the other hand, sounds almost identical to real Creed.

https://jukebox.openai.com/?song=787962418

EDIT: this Wiggles one is kind of hauntingly beautiful

i wish they hadn't taken the Musenet program down, I'd love to run some of the portastudio stuff my friends and I did in high school through this.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1