IGNORED

People that listen to "challenging" music

Auditor

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plebs gonna pleb

But seriously I think this issue has a lot in common with the age-old "nature vs. nurtue" debate. How much of musical taste and tolerance is part of your brain chemistry and how much is influenced by external stimuli when as you evolve / grow up? I'm not really sure there can be a definitive answer.

I tend to distance myself from the third category you mention, if for no other reason that music/audio is such an integral part of my existence that why wouldn't I try to associate more with like-minded folks? So I'm not an expert on their thought process. But I think that exposure to certain environments and certain people can definitely affect how one forms opinions and curiosities.

Also some pop music is legit too (Robyn!), coming from the guy currently listening to Khemmis after listening to the new LCD Soundsystem, so what the fuck do I know. People like what they like.

ONLY TWO

THREE AT A PUSH

plebs gonna pleb

But seriously I think this issue has a lot in common with the age-old "nature vs. nurtue" debate. How much of musical taste and tolerance is part of your brain chemistry and how much is influenced by external stimuli when as you evolve / grow up? I'm not really sure there can be a definitive answer.

I tend to distance myself from the third category you mention, if for no other reason that music/audio is such an integral part of my existence that why wouldn't I try to associate more with like-minded folks? So I'm not an expert on their thought process. But I think that exposure to certain environments and certain people can definitely affect how one forms opinions and curiosities.

Also some pop music is legit too (Robyn!), coming from the guy currently listening to Khemmis after listening to the new LCD Soundsystem, so what the fuck do I know. People like what they like.

Yeah, my fiance is in the third category, and attempting to get her into different genres has been a 10-year mission with varying degrees of success. 

Also, I was kind of joking towards the end there. And I probably am pretentious.

one could argue that listening to noise is objectively retarded

can't stand it

i dont think there is anything wrong with any of the groups :) people will just like what they like. some people just dont like certain frequencies in order hitting their ears, and thats fair enough. and some people do, and thats fair enough. everyones taste in music is amazing. people are just looking for different things out of music i guess xx

i dont think there is anything wrong with any of the groups :) people will just like what they like. some people just dont like certain frequencies in order hitting their ears, and thats fair enough. and some people do, and thats fair enough. everyones taste in music is amazing. people are just looking for different things out of music i guess xx

dr lopez just got triggered

dr lopez just got triggered

hehe im not sure i get that reference, i went and had a look and there is a guy called dr lopez whos on here, why would he get triggered? :) x

Sometimes I think the 3rd category might be only looking for 1 or 2 things specifically, while others look for 5 or 6 things

can't stand it

Wait.....so what 'challenging' music *do* you listen to?

Sogodhelpme do not say aphex twin

Scriabin and shit

Ah ok, so you're in my 'third' category of people, pleb.

We should put them into special camps or something, I agree.

I think WATMM qualifies as a special camp

*firm nod*

Camps where nothing can distract them?

A camp for concentration you say? capital!

can't stand it

Wait.....so what 'challenging' music *do* you listen to?

Sogodhelpme do not say aphex twin

flahblub

so challenge, overwhelming emotion

Most people have an animalistic response to music. Some don't.

Some people want to hear zippy zap bleep bloops and others want to focus on the overall concept (and in the context it's delivered).

Personally, I haven't listened to "challenging" music in forever, because it feels more like a homework assignment. I've studied the greats in experimental music and am pretty tired of it. Ends up sounding like a mish mash of half ideas and trying to be cute with how the composition is performed. I find it boring because I can hear like 13 seconds of it and already know what's going to happen.

With that said, I still throw in weird atonal shit into my tunes these days.

It seems to me that there are more or less 2 types of people that listen to so called "challenging" music (whether that be electronic, "art" music, noise, or what-have-you): 

So, like, what's wrong with the third category? Without sounding like Hitler - do their brains have some sort of deficit?

or what's wrong with us?

i thing the thing here is that challenging music is just that: challenging to listen to-  and some people just don't want to be challenged when all they want to do is relax and listen to some music. for them, music is more about escape- maybe meditation or just having fun. that's their challenge i suppose. for others, listening to politically charged music is challenging enough. personally, i dislike listening to this type of music so perhaps i'd find it challenging- just in a different way.

btw: i've always found people who tend to gravitate towards "art" music to be more interesting- maybe because they're artistically inclined where people who follow trends find the popularity of it (the scene) more comforting and interesting as it affirms what you're questioning: there's nothing wrong with them

unless we're talking about something that was meant to be retarded to begin with like fuck the retarded girl's unplayable release or anything by breakdancing ronald regan but like marcel duchamp (himself a noise artists of the highest calibre): i have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste

unless we're talking about something that was meant to be retarded to begin with like fuck the retarded girl's unplayable release

Limited to 7 numbered copies. Record has been heavily scratched, coated in spray paint and warped with boiling water and as such is almost completely unplayable.

I'm getting this tattooed on my forearm (in latin) later tonight, cya lads!

Archived