IGNORED

People that listen to "challenging" music

Auditor

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't apologise Auditor, I think it's a valid thread.

Basically, boiled down to the bones I think it's whether you see music as an art form or just simple entertainment. 

There's a time and place for both.

Thanks, and yeah it seems that is it boiled down. Some people simply want entertainment and there is nothing wrong with that.

Ironically this thread has less to do with music and more with identity. I'm sure half of all the identity-crises related can be cured by simply accepting and appreciating "others" with different opinions. It makes it simpler for the "others" to accept and appreciate you. So why not start by doing the simple thing: accept and appreciate the popular stuff for what it is and more important, what it means for the people who enjoy it. Not saying you should like or enjoy it. But the alternative where either this group of people is wrong or the other, is useless. And you bloody well know it.

But still, here we are. Enjoying our collective identity-crises by wanking off to our sophisticated tastes. Lets shake hands and move along. And actually talk about music...

I shouldn't have put the whole "whats wrong with them" part I guess. It was not meant to be serious. I straddle between the 1st and 3rd category honestly, love me some corny pop and whatnot. I appreciate it and think that it has a place in our world, as it has since the birth of popular music.

It does seem like "artistic types" simply gravitate towards more complex/confrontational art in all forms, movies/music/performance etc... But what gives birth to this trait I wonder? I mean, it takes all kinds. Are some people born this way, or is it more to do with what we experience growing up? This has always been an interesting question to me, but maybe not to others. If it is interesting to you, then I think it the easy answer: "Some people just aren't interested, respect that" is sort of a cop out, and maybe mirrors some deep well of aggression towards the topic.

quote-if-by-noise-you-mean-uncomfortable

awwwww he's just so ''different'' #morningbuttplug

"If by buttplug you mean pop music, then all noise is buttplugs to me." - Merzbow

quote-if-by-noise-you-mean-uncomfortable

awwwww he's just so ''different'' #morningbuttplug

"If by 4 foot long black dildo you mean reed pipe and lyre music, then all ancient greek music is party time to me." - Aristotle

before talking about taste and what's ''normal'' of ''good'' in taste we should talk about some other very important human dimensions like intelligence, creativity and higher level perception... cause, general intelligence, creativity and higher level perception + empirical knowledge = taste. so, nature and nurture.

average is not ''normal'' in these dimensions. for instance, iq between 90-100, an average iq, is not normal but it's the most common. normal iq range starts at levels at which iq is no longer the most important feature you need to have to be successful in any possible field of life and it has been theoreticized to be above 130-140 (with a standard deviation of 15). statistically, that means that only 1-2% of people have ''normal'' or ''desirable'' iq

intelligence is easy to understand in this context. try with others :) ....it is beyond endlessly complicated to speak about taste my friend. imho

murican's sat scores correlate highly to general intelligence:

MusicthatmakesyoudumbLarge.png

Despite Auditor's admission the thread is pointless and goDel's perfect summation of why, this thread is getting worse every day. Kill it. That's my official recommendation, it's the only humane thing to do.

It's disturbing that Third Eye Blind and Counting Crows are so far to the right.

Anyways, I don't think IQ plays that much into interest between popular/unpopular music. 

Lock it up! Idc

I don't think IQ plays that much into interest between popular/unpopular music. 

you can find scientific studies on the net that say that iq matters in taste

also, beethoven is veeery popular

Anyone else here sick of all the the post-African rhythms saturating modern popular music? Ergh

Absolutely.  I found myself listening to Radio 1 in a work van yesterday as I couldn't pick up many other stations, and every pop dance track that came on literally had the same narrow sound palette of "tropical" sounding synths and very similar drum beats.  Quite sparse sounding.  I think it all started with a Calvin Harris song about a year ago, now everyone is doing it.

I blame Diplo

Beethoven is completely on the right while classical is on the left side? 

:trap:

yes, other ''classical'' composers. i guess he was separated cause the gap was too big between him and others

Let's argue about the IQ test now.

i agree that besides iq other features matter too but it's very hard to measure them. iq tests are not perfect but they have great statistical validity in many things related to life and an argument that they don't have validity of 100% is not a valid argument. imo

Lock it up! Idc

ok! sorry but i cant pass this!

this is classic watmm human!

once when we reach to the point when we might be onto something more objective than our own babblings we ask to lock a thread, and non but the op himself. im just trying to incorporate science in this shit; do we have anything more objective than science? 

i mean, what answer would you like to hear? tell me and im gonna repeate it to you, bolded

i think that your inital question was a valid question and you've chickened out when discussion started to remotely sound politically incorrect. maybe you didnt know but real science and philosophy can't be politically incorrect, thatz one of the reasones we like them.

also, taste as a phenomen is very interestiing one, not just for listeners but most importantly for creatives; iirc we are the music makers and why wouldn't we discuss such an important topic?

still friends? ;)

nXjJ0SN.gif

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pitythem.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Archived