IGNORED

All About iPhones

jules

yes, the prices are huge in my country! 1650 dollars is much over here. when imported from the usa we have to pay around 35% of taxes the other 25-30% is what vendor takes i guess but that'd be too much imo. so im not sure wtf is going on!

anyway, i usually get phones on a 24month subscription. for iphone x 64gb monthly that be $53/€45, for iphone 8 plus $42/€36 + $28/€24 for 20 gb of high-speed internet, flat phone, mobile tv, 1000 sms...

so, in total for iphone x $81/€69 and for iphone 8+ $70/€60 every month for a 2 yr period. this is much imo!

how bad is the situation is other countries?

In the States, you can get an iPhone X on a 30-month lease for around 33.00 a month, which if you paid that to term would come out to around 1000 USD (not including the wireless service itself)

Seems iPhone X 64gb is around 1k without SIM lock here. So maybe it's cheaper you go to a different country and buy it there?

that'd still be very expensive so if i decide to go with it im gonna take it with 24-months subscription/leasing

1000 dollars has a different value in different countries. the problem is in differnet incomes//gross average monthly salaries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

Oh, of course - and to make matters worse, some countries (due to import taxes, exchange rates, etc.) something that costs 100 USD in the States costs 150 USD elsewhere

I think I'm due for a new phone. Thought the SE would last me a while but I think the bluetooth is dying; it's a lot weaker than it should be. If I have my phone in my pocket while using my headphones the audio cuts out intermittently, even without a cover on it.

I'm getting towards the end of my 2 year payment plan anyway so maybe I should just move across to something else with a similar pricing plan. Was tempted to finally switch to Android but I just don't find it intuitive at all. I know it can be customised etc etc but I still haven't seen a customised version that is as minimalist as I'd like. That said, even iOS is starting to move in a direction that I don't like, with all the pointless animations etc.. though I quite like the iOS11 control centre—finally a volume control that is actually usable!

Anyway, dunno what I'd go for. I like to stay at least one generation behind the latest, for cost reasons.. so maybe the 7 iphone? Now that I'm on bluetooth headphones I don't have as much of a problem with not having the headphone jack.. I think.

If you need a nice camera buy a phone for half the price of the iPhone and with the rest of the money buy an entrance level DSLR

true but I don't/can't take my DSLR with me everywhere so..

ye an olde iOS phone might be not that bad tbqh.. in the last years iOS has had some rather bad performance degradation eg i have an iPad Air 2 that’s become almost unusably sluggish..

but iOS 12 beta runs very well on it. It’s maybe not going to fix ur Bluetooth issues, or maybe it will of it’s a software problem, but the SE will definitely feel a lot smoother with iOS 12. So maybe hold on to the SE for a bit?

And yeh the 7 should last a while if they don’t mess up performance again next year..

Edited by Guest

ye an olde iOS phone might be not that bad tbqh.. in the last years iOS has had some rather bad performance degradation eg i have an iPad Air 2 that’s become almost unusably sluggish..

but iOS 12 beta runs very well on it. It’s maybe not going to fix ur Bluetooth issues, or maybe it will of it’s a software problem, but the SE will definitely feel a lot smoother with iOS 12. So maybe hold on to the SE for a bit?

And yeh the 7 should last a while if they don’t mess up performance again next year..

Performance-wise the SE is actually holding up pretty well, better than any other iphone I've had for two years. I've heard a few other reports of bluetooth on iphones dying though so I'm guessing that's what's wrong with mine. I'm on the latest iOS11 release. It's also not a problem with the headphones as they connect and have a long range when connected to my laptops.. and others have been reporting that they connect perfectly to iphones; I've tested mine out of the case as well and still have the same result. It also has some trouble staying connected to the wifi at work so maybe there really is a problem there. I'll do some more tests tomorrow.

but how do you brows on the net on the SE? to me that screen is just too fafinf small. also, reading watmm rules is an impossible task on that micro-phone

^Yeah, I used an iPhone 5 (or 5s?) for a few months last year and it was a hell of a shock going back to something that small...but I ended up enjoying it for the most part. Tiny screen was totally usable for me just browsing a few minutes here and there, snapping a couple photos or doing a crossword or something. Not saying everyone would get along with it but I got used to it surprisingly quickly. Would've kept it if the camera hadn't been so shit, mostly. Also I'm not a big fan of iOS really, but that's just me being picky.

it's sounding more and more like the se2 has been nicked in favor of a bigger cheaper iphonex thing. sucks as the only reason i bought into ios to begin w/was they were seemingly the only one doing a small phone. granted the se is actually too small. but my friend just picked up an x and that thing is already to big. so if their next "cheap" phone is even bigger i might go back to android if i can find something that suits me. me original se has been rock solid though. dropped numerous times (has a pretty significant dent in the back). no screen cracks. totally submerged numerous times. really would've just preferred something a little bigger with modestly updated internals and still have a fucking headphone jack

Is it really true that the new iPhone range supports quick-changing but the stingy bastards make you buy a separate 'special' charger to be able to use that functionality ?

Is it really true that the new iPhone range supports quick-changing but the stingy bastards make you buy a separate 'special' charger to be able to use that functionality ?

Yes... For fast charging you need the 18w usbc charger and usbc to lighting cable converter.

I believe thatll be included with the new phones

Edited by xox

Wait, my SE goes from 10% to full in around an hour from a third party 2.1A USB charger, did they make it slower for later models or is fast charging faster than that?

Edited by modey

Wait, my SE goes from 10% to full in around an hour from a third party 2.1A USB charger, did they make it slower for later models or is fast charging faster than that?

Yeah this morning my SE went from 16% to 80% in about 20 minutes while plugged into my computer on whatever cable was cheapest on Amazon.

Your batteries need replacing - they usually charge that quickly when they're close to the limit of their recharge cycles.

Edit: which would make sense for iPhone SE phones that haven't had their batteries replaced in the lifetime of the phone.

Edited by oscillik

I'm just activating my new iphones now (iphone 8). =/

how do you like it? 

p.s. iphones? pluraL? 

so far, good! Much quicker than the 6 for sure. I haven't really checked out anything other than basic apps yet. 

It was nice and easy to set up, just had to scan the iPhone 6 and it ported everything over. Thought that was nifty. 

Grabbed 2, one for me and one for the missus. ;o

Yeah I've got an 8 coming tomorrow. The "(PRODUCT)RED" edition because I'm a goth. Hopefully the bluetooth actually works properly lol

Yeah I've got an 8 coming tomorrow. The "(PRODUCT)RED" edition because I'm a goth. Hopefully the bluetooth actually works properly lol

I went with the red too. It actually looks rlly sharp.