IGNORED

All About iPhones

jules

I ride a commuter bus to work - I turn on "AirDrop - Everyone" and see how many idiots have their phones exposed, then I find an obnoxious picture on the web and send it to them and listen for the reactions. Most people don't even know what AirDrop is, how to use it, etc.

=O you're the infamous Houston air drop dick pic bandit!

no but rlly, that's hilarious. I need to try it sometime I'm somewhere crowded.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

i dont want to sound paranoid but damm this face recognition looks creppy like future predictions from bradbury, philip k dick where the state has full control over your private life.
still happy to not own a smartphone !

Just found out I'm getting an X to replace my ageing 6 Plus at work! Yay!

That makes zero sense. Company must have money to burn.

I do internal app testing on iOS devices, and I'm also reachable 24/7 (technically) as part of my job, so they want me to have an X so I can see where FaceID fails some apps that use TouchID and coordinate with the vendor on updates.

I'll be damned if I am going to pay for a cell phone for work that expects me to be reachable all the time, and that I need to do part of my job.

Ahhh I was gonna say why can't they get you the 8, but that doesn't have that sensor array.

Well played

i don't know what air drop is

It's when you crouch and take a shit, but not over a toilet bowl. This move can be performed outside, or indoors and the only requirement to perform the combo is that the turd must pass through the air, hence the name "air drop"

Ageing 6 plus? You sound like one of those tech journalists for Wired magazine.

I'm still using a 5. It's still good.

ZeeHvR6.jpg

*Sent from my Apple MacBook Pro Exploitation Edition

Sad and yet (pathetically) ironic - These folks build the phones aren't paid enough to own one.

I ought to add that I'm not an Apple hater. I've got a few things from them over the years, iPods, Macbook Pro, iPad and other stuff but it's times like this that frankly obnoxious spectacle yesterday is given a healthy perspective.

This BBC report dates back to 2014 but it's still a timely reminder of the caring, sharing image the company likes to portray to its customers and the media - it's all about creative freedom, a force for good, liberating the soul and all that other corporate wank.

This is the other side of that polished image.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30532463

ZeeHvR6.jpg

Sad and yet (pathetically) ironic - These folks build the phones aren't paid enough to own one.

iPhone is a luxury brand, nobody would buy them if Chinese factory workers could afford them too. Apple gots to get some profits mayne. Can't afford to pay decent wages when there's money to be made.

How can it be luxury brand so many poor people i see owns one.

anyway i find the shoe industry to be even more ridiculous for example you have some supercool new nike shoes being sold for 130$ with some crazy marketing but the production costs around 15-20$.

at least the quality is good in the electronic industry.

Edited by Kavinsky

I ride a commuter bus to work - I turn on "AirDrop - Everyone" and see how many idiots have their phones exposed, then I find an obnoxious picture on the web and send it to them and listen for the reactions. Most people don't even know what AirDrop is, how to use it, etc.

=O you're the infamous Houston air drop dick pic bandit!

no but rlly, that's hilarious. I need to try it sometime I'm somewhere crowded.

Yeah, LOL - it works well on public transport where many people are in close proximity (since AirDrop works over Bluetooth) and not moving around much.

ZeeHvR6.jpg

Wait, just a 5? Not even a 5S?

My wife has a 5S and I wince whenever I have to use her phone... the screen is so frikkin' small!

Plus, the 5S is the lowest model iPhone that can accept iOS 11 upgrades.

That makes zero sense. Company must have money to burn.

I do internal app testing on iOS devices, and I'm also reachable 24/7 (technically) as part of my job, so they want me to have an X so I can see where FaceID fails some apps that use TouchID and coordinate with the vendor on updates.

I'll be damned if I am going to pay for a cell phone for work that expects me to be reachable all the time, and that I need to do part of my job.

Ahhh I was gonna say why can't they get you the 8, but that doesn't have that sensor array.

Well played

i don't know what air drop is

It's when you crouch and take a shit, but not over a toilet bowl. This move can be performed outside, or indoors and the only requirement to perform the combo is that the turd must pass through the air, hence the name "air drop"

ROFL

That would never fly in the UK, Luckily we have the Sale of Goods Act to protect us from bullshit like that.

i actually might "downgrade" to the SE and get an apple watch with the rebate

The SE is basically an iPhone 6 hardware inside an iPhone 5 case, so if you like the smaller form factor...

why on earth would you buy an apple watch?

I thought this too until I got one for Christmas (I didn't ask for one; my intention was to wait until Apple released a Watch that worked without the iPhone), but surprisingly I find it very useful - the standing reminders and step tracking alone are beneficial health-wise, and not having to get or pull my phone out to see texts and emails is convenient.

Is the iPhone still mandatory for this new Apple Watch like it was in the past?

Nope. They finally got the battery issues solved where they could put in a cellular radio.

probably because I don't think it gets its own phone number

Not sure if you can have a different number assigned to it (don't know why you would want to either), but it uses the same number as your iPhone, but requires a separate plan (AT&T in the States charges 10/month extra for that, with the first 3 months free)

I was really hoping they would do one last patch for iOS 10 to address the battery drain issue, but that's probly wishful thinking now. Not sure if I even want to risk iOS 11 on an iPhone 6s.

I'm running the final iOS 11 on an iPhone 6 Plus, and don't have any battery drain issues (didn't on iOS 10.3 either). You might want to see which apps are eating up the most battery - Go to Settings, Battery and it will list the Apps that use the most battery. Leaving GPS-enabled apps running in the background (and giving them permission to do so) is also a common cause of battery drain. You can see which apps are allowed to run in the background by going to Settings, General, Background App Refresh.

I'm way past that, every app has been scrutinized and deleted or updated, this is a well known issue since iOS 10.3.2 nuked a lot of people's batteries. Apple forums are full of these complaints, and a patch was supposedly "in the works" but now that the iOS 11 hype train has started, iOS 10 is no longer their priority. I wish I had stuck with 9.3.5, battery was great on that one, and this phone is just over a year old so it's not battery fatigue yet.

https://www.google.ae/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/05/18/apple-ios-10-3-2-iphone-battery-life-problems/amp/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7958858?start=0&tstart=0

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/ios-10-3-2-software-update-iphone-battery-drain-reports-1704243?amp=1&akamai-rum=off

I'm still using the 4s I got in 2012. Still works fine.

Being forced to upgrade soon though as every app is going nah. Won't even be able to check my email via the yahoo app after the 20th of this month :^)

that sounds like the complete opposite of working fine