IGNORED

VCV Rack - open source virtual modular

th555

I didn't take much notice of VCV Rack as it was standalone only, and I have R6 already

Some clever chap, however, has now built this to run under VST

https://github.com/bsp2/VeeSeeVSTRack

It comes with most (all?  >650) of the $0 modules pre-packaged.  Download the pre-built 7z and simply copy to your plugins folder

It seems to work very well.  Certainly an essential considering it's all free

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

now that vcv 1.0 is on my comp, midi bridge doesn't work. i boot v .6 and midi bridge suddenly works again.

i'm using ableton 10. anyone figure it out? i only want to use midi from ableton because the midi capabilities are so much greater in ableton

anyone?

Peeps like @ambergonk who are bored of their DAWs should definitely give this a spin. I mean, shit, it's free, fun, and pretty easy to get weird with, what's not to like? It hits that sweet spot of abstraction, more Nord than Max/PD/Reaktor.

Personally, though, I've recently discovered I'm more of a TidalCycles/SuperCollider type of guy. They're not mutually exclusive, but when the bug bit, I knew that that's where my efforts are gonna go for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

Just now, sweepstakes said:

Peeps like @ambergonk who are bored of their DAWs should definitely give this a spin. I mean, shit, it's free, fun, and pretty easy to get weird with, what's not to like? It hits that sweet spot of abstraction, more Nord than Max/PD/Reaktor.

Personally, though, I've recently discovered I'm more of a TidalCycles/SuperCollider type of guy. They're not mutually exclusive, but when the bug bit, I knew that that's where my efforts are gonna go for the foreseeable.

Not gonna lie, I get bored too quickly with FL to make any real progress with it anymore. Maybe we can play around with it later this week.

2 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Not gonna lie, I get bored too quickly with FL to make any real progress with it anymore. Maybe we can play around with it later this week.

Don't wait for me, just download it and give it a spin!

On 7/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, darreichungsform said:

Is it less CPU intensive than Reaktor Blocks?

I remember testing on my 9yo macbook pro a while back. Running some sample Reaktor Blocks things I think I got an error even loading some of it. VCV ran fine, but then I did not make anything insane either.

• Like 1

I have thought about making my own stuff (or modifying the existing ones) as the basic modules are all open source. But on the other hand it is C++ and going down the rabbit hole will absolutely steal a lot of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 5:57 PM, thawkins said:

I have thought about making my own stuff (or modifying the existing ones) as the basic modules are all open source. But on the other hand it is C++ and going down the rabbit hole will absolutely steal a lot of time.

Does it have its own framework or are you literally editing .cpp files? Using straight up C++ with no libraries would definitely require a lot of time.

29 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Does it have its own framework or are you literally editing .cpp files? Using straight up C++ with no libraries would definitely require a lot of time.

Apparently there is a Rack SDK that has some kind of API that you can use for developing your own plugins. They even provide a getting started tutorial for this https://vcvrack.com/manual/PluginDevelopmentTutorial.html

A while back I did check the source for the basic sequencer plugin and it seemed fairly readable and straightforward to mess with the code to add more steps, etc. As the tutorial says, I think it is a great way to learn some C++ and mess around. I just never got around to it... I admit that for C++ you can have some fairly high learning curve things going on if you make a slight mistake somewhere.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:40 PM, thawkins said:

Apparently there is a Rack SDK that has some kind of API that you can use for developing your own plugins. They even provide a getting started tutorial for this https://vcvrack.com/manual/PluginDevelopmentTutorial.html

A while back I did check the source for the basic sequencer plugin and it seemed fairly readable and straightforward to mess with the code to add more steps, etc. As the tutorial says, I think it is a great way to learn some C++ and mess around. I just never got around to it... I admit that for C++ you can have some fairly high learning curve things going on if you make a slight mistake somewhere.

There is a Reaktor-esque module builder in the works which looks promising, and has a lite-version, early access beta available now - "Geco", made by Hora, a VCV developer

Comes with a library of DSP and logic objects, with custom code imports possible too.

https://gumroad.com/horamusic

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been messing with this the last couple weeks. Always wanted to build a eurorack but lacked the disposable funds to do so. It's great being able to scratch that itch and explore modular synthesis free. Love being able to copy and paste modules (almost feels like cheating).

Might buy some premium modules down the line to support the dev but the amount of free ones makes the paid ones non-essential

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

Finally a VSTi coming. Might have to start paying for it though.

oh yessssss finally

stand alone still free

studio VST version will be at intro price of 99 and then 150

Edited by thefxbip